PDA

View Full Version : How polluted is your city?

evon
10-06-2016, 06:37 PM
While my city suffers from inversion during cold sunny winter days, other days have very little pollution..My city of Bergen, Norway is therefore Green.

WHO interactive map of the world and annual air pollution:
http://maps.who.int/airpollution/

PS: I did not know where to post this, so I took a chance on this sub-section..

AJL
10-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Green. The worst I have lived in is yellow which was manageable, but I have also visited some orange/red places and I wouldn't call them pleasant.

Anglecynn
10-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Yellow, definitely notice the difference going into a green area, although I've probably been in orange areas for short periods of time too.

evon
10-06-2016, 09:49 PM
Last time I was in Benelux and Germany I noticed the persistent smell of coal during winter time, never smelled that in Norway, or even in UK..

firemonkey
10-06-2016, 09:53 PM
Yellow area.

SOUTHEND - ON - SEA, UNITED KINGDOM OF GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
Mean PM2.5 (µg/m3) 11
Year PM2.5 2013
PM2.5 source measured data
Mean PM10 (µg/m3) 15
Year PM10 2013
PM10 source converted from PM2.5
Population 154,730

MikeWhalen
10-06-2016, 10:57 PM
my city is 'green'-not all that surprising given the isolation from other cities and a zillion tree's around me....

the worst pollution we get I think is back in the old days when if there was a correct wind stream, we would get smacked in the face with pollution comming from the American industrial belt in the north east...there was one certain wind pattern that would bring that junk...not very often lately as much of it has been mothballed or transferred to other countries

Mike

Afshar
10-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Yellow, surprises me with all the traffic.

Baltimore1937
10-07-2016, 10:58 PM
My specific location has noise pollution, coming from the ground; highway noise, pipeline noise, electric power noise?, and seemingly railroad noise from the rather distant RR. But it all helps to block out the constant ringing in my ears. The bedrock (sandstone) is close to the surface, so that may transmit or reflect all that noise. Also, I suspect all that noise pollution in the ground affects marine mammals in this region, such as Orcas and seals.

evon
10-08-2016, 09:22 AM
My specific location has noise pollution, coming from the ground; highway noise, pipeline noise, electric power noise?, and seemingly railroad noise from the rather distant RR. But it all helps to block out the constant ringing in my ears. The bedrock (sandstone) is close to the surface, so that may transmit or reflect all that noise. Also, I suspect all that noise pollution in the ground affects marine mammals in this region, such as Orcas and seals.

It is a map for air pollution, not noise pollution..

anglesqueville
10-08-2016, 10:00 AM
My village has lot of air pollution (mostly manure) and noise pollution ( horses, cows, goose-farms, roosters, not forgetting the bells of the church). People in the great cities don't know their happiness, as they have only cars, trucks, factories, dogs, fairgrounds, muezzin calls):biggrin1:

AJL
10-08-2016, 03:34 PM
My village has lot of air pollution (mostly manure) and noise pollution ( horses, cows, goose-farms, roosters, not forgetting the bells of the church). People in the great cities don't know their happiness, as they have only cars, trucks, factories, dogs, fairgrounds, muezzin calls):biggrin1:

I know you are being facetious: I lived in a small village for a while and the competing calls of the roosters and dogs (each trying to outdo the other), and the village drunk wandering lost and pining for someone after the bars closed, were a slight nuisance in the early hours but a much sweeter noise pollution than being right under an international airport's approach path when big cargo planes land at 1:30 a.m.

Even manure you get used to. I suppose people get used to heavy industrial fumes too but at what a price...

https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1476-069X-7-8

https://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/projects/outputs/every-breath-we-take-lifelong-impact-air-pollution

etc.

anglesqueville
10-08-2016, 03:53 PM
I know you are being facetious Indeed I was. I would never trade the manure, cows, sheeps of my lost Anglesqueville ( 450 inhabitants), even against the geatest cinemas, theatres, auditoriums, museums, etc. It's a choice. But one day a friend ( philosopher and parisian) told me something like: " living where you live, it's just impossible! Unless you have to re-write the Critique of Pure Reason..." That said my post was quite off-topic, and I apologize for this ... fantasy.

Táltos
10-09-2016, 03:49 AM
Wow! What strikes me about that map is that most of the USA is green! A lot of Europe is in the orange and yellow. It really shows the industry leaving the States.