PDA

View Full Version : South Asian for a person of European Ancestry?

sktibo
10-10-2016, 06:48 AM
I'm trying to help someone I know Identify whether or not they do actually have Native American ancestors, and they took the AncestryDNA test. I feel that there is some reliability in this because with my own paper trail, I am 2.00195 % Native American. On AncestryDNA, I scored 2%. Pretty darn close, I'd say. The Individual in question didn't score any Native American, but got 1% South Asian. IIRC there's sometimes a mix up between East Asian and Native American, but I've not heard of South Asian. Anyhow, I just want to be sure that it doesn't often confuse SA and NA categories before I break the bad news that said person's family stories aren't true. I'd also like to know if any European folks ever get trace amounts of South Asian in their DNA estimate.

Thank you for your help with this

L1983
10-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Hiya. I got South Asian at <1% with a range of 0-3% (believe this to be real from maternal side). I also got Native American in the ranges bit (no official %) 0-<1%.

My dad got Native American <1% with a range of 0-1%. In the ranges bit, but no official %, he got East Asian 0-<1% and South Asian 0-<1%.

Not sure if that helps? We're from England, but lots of holes in tree. :)

Baltimore1937
10-10-2016, 03:53 PM
At Ancestry I have "<1%" South Asian. That would seem to be a Gypsy/Romani origin. Other than that, I'm at a complete loss of where that came from. I also have 1% Caucasus (which includes Iran at Ancestry). The two together may point to Gypsy/Romani.

sktibo
10-11-2016, 01:53 AM
At Ancestry I have "<1%" South Asian. That would seem to be a Gypsy/Romani origin. Other than that, I'm at a complete loss of where that came from. I also have 1% Caucasus. The two together may point to Gypsy/Romani.

While it could well be, I remember reading somewhere to beware of trace regions, unless you have some evidence for them. I read somewhere that Ancestry used to use an unknown category for parts of the DNA it couldn't identify, but it didn't go over very well. Now they categorize all parts with whichever population matches it most closely. I think in most cases this is where trace regions come from.

Baltimore1937
10-12-2016, 01:59 AM
From last December (2015), Eurogenes K36 gave me 1.07% North Caucasian, but no South Asian at all. But they only gave me 8.61% Fenno-Scandian, while my father was 3/4 Norwegian! I guess the thing to do is choose whichever result from whichever test suits your fancy, ha ha.

LauraHolland
10-12-2016, 01:23 PM
South Asian, as someone pointed out, tends to point towards Romani/Gypsy heritage, you would get a better picture of everything if you had a parent or grandparent tested, as you would see what was passed down and what was not, but also testing with other companies, or utilising gedmatch can help.

Cinnamon orange
10-12-2016, 06:30 PM
I would also add if you have Ancestry from the UK, it may be from British India. The Portuguese and Dutch also were in South Asia.

crossover
10-13-2016, 02:34 PM
it's funny how my grandma didn't get south asian on ftdna, but got small amount on gedmatch(like 2% ish). one guy i asked about it thinks it came from her spanish ancestors through the moorish occupation & not from her native mexican ancestors. she gets like between 38-41% NA on gedmatch,not including noise siberia, east asian etc. since adding those to the NA raises the total Na to between 41-43%. her ftdna native, east asian, & finland/northern siberia combined is 45%, & dna.land gdivesd her 45% NA.

Pegasusphm1
12-18-2016, 03:12 AM
I would also add if you have Ancestry from the UK, it may be from British India. The Portuguese and Dutch also were in South Asia.

During the early colonial period Portuguese imposed Latin rites on the Nasrani Saint Thomas Christians , burning the Syriac bibles and liturgy. Had been ancient Jewish communities there as well. Those ancient trade routes.