PDA

View Full Version : Have we (L513) peaked?

Mag Uidhir 6
10-11-2016, 04:30 PM
It seems to me, that the L513 testing interest has lagged within the past 6 months or so. Roughly two years ago we had the initial surge of NGS testing and that stayed strong for a year or so. Then it lagged a bit with spikes and surges to follow (mainly during sales periods). Alex's Big Tree has remained at 188 L513 testers for sometime. I look forward to the next holiday sale period to see if we can generate more interest.

Additionally, of the 27 kits tested under the Z16340 level, only 11 have submitted to YFull for branch aging estimates. For those of us under FGC9775, there are at least five maybe seven other branches other than Z16337/Z16339 that would clarify TMRCAs much better. Given the line's known pedigree, it would probably add to some "brickwall" resolution.

I may have to resort to manually counting SNPs tested + or- within each SNP test result....tedious and prone to error. How to proceed?

TigerMW
10-14-2016, 02:25 AM
It seems to me, that the L513 testing interest has lagged within the past 6 months or so. Roughly two years ago we had the initial surge of NGS testing and that stayed strong for a year or so. Then it lagged a bit with spikes and surges to follow (mainly during sales periods). Alex's Big Tree has remained at 188 L513 testers for sometime. I look forward to the next holiday sale period to see if we can generate more interest.

Additionally, of the 27 kits tested under the Z16340 level, only 11 have submitted to YFull for branch aging estimates. For those of us under FGC9775, there are at least five maybe seven other branches other than Z16337/Z16339 that would clarify TMRCAs much better. Given the line's known pedigree, it would probably add to some "brickwall" resolution.

I may have to resort to manually counting SNPs tested + or- within each SNP test result....tedious and prone to error. How to proceed?
I don't think we've peaked but I can't be a strong advocate of doing some things now when maybe it'll be easier soon.

Here are some examples.

I do like the YFull aging and have been recommending it but what if this kind of aging was done on the Big Tree for free? What if FTDNA decided to do it? ... plus YFull fights an uphill battle with the international politics.

The L513 Pack is over a year old and is due for an update. I mean it is due.

Big Y is expensive but it goes on sale periodically. I think it is always a good investment but we are drifting up towards the holiday sales season.

We are seeing new joiners to the project and more people at 111 STRs. We probably need a recruiting push where we all go check our matches and try to get them to join. I have one new, very good match at 111 but he/she won't list MDKA information. Curiously, a given name is listed that could be important.

Mag Uidhir 6
10-15-2016, 11:42 PM
Mike,
My gut says the new SNPs BY11188 & BY11175 are going to be within the last 200 to 400 years. I base this on the known Maguire pedigree and the possibilities of branching within the family.
Brad

TigerMW
10-17-2016, 04:12 AM
Mike,
My gut says the new SNPs BY11188 & BY11175 are going to be within the last 200 to 400 years. I base this on the known Maguire pedigree and the possibilities of branching within the family.
Brad
I can't wait to see what we get in the new pack. I think the big surname groups will get something good to look at.

As an aside, we do seem to be getting new 67 and 111 STR matches every week so folks continue forge away with STR upgrades.