PDA

View Full Version : Genome of fiercely protective Fonni's dog reflects human history of Sardinia

Amerijoe
10-12-2016, 12:29 AM
"Genome of fiercely protective Fonni's dog reflects human history of Sardinia"
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161011131430.htm

JohnHowellsTyrfro
10-12-2016, 05:56 AM
Very interesting.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
10-12-2016, 06:00 AM
I wonder whether a factor in it developing as a "breed" might be it's relative isolation geographically (maybe for certain time periods) and a fairly restricted gene pool, particularly if the people favoured a certain pattern of dog behaviour?

Jean M
10-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Very interesting.

Certainly is. This is the bit that gripped me:

The study also revealed the ancestors of the Fonni's Dog were related to the Saluki, a swift and graceful "sight" hound from the Near and Middle East, and a large mastiff like the Komondor, a powerfully-built sheep guardian from Hungary that looks a bit like a mop.

Strikingly, the origins of the Fonni's Dog mirror human migration to Sardinia. Studies of the island's human inhabitants have shown they share greatest genetic similarity with people from Hungary, Egypt, Israel, and Jordan. "The map we can draw of the dog's origins is the same as the map of human migration to Sardinia," says Ostrander. "Clearly ancient people traveled with their dogs, just as they do now."

The close parallels between the history of the dog and human inhabitants of the island has a practical implication, says Ostrander. "Our study shows how closely dog migration parallels human migration. It could be that if you have missing pieces in a study of a human population's history, samples collected from dogs in the right place could fill in those gaps."

Makes total sense to me.