PDA

View Full Version : Ydna matches with Maternal lines

Claxon
05-06-2013, 05:38 PM
I have found two surnames that are close matches to my Ydna, but they are surnames from my grandmothers side. I would imagine these would be from first cousin marriages or such, or perhaps from small village containments within perhaps 300 years, giving females limited marriage prospects. Also, secret NPE ( kept quiet for obvious reasons) could relate to unknown ( at the time) incestuous relationships.

For instance, My g mother was born a Payne, but used her mothers name, Parker, as a maiden name. I have a very close match to a Parker ( earliest possibility @1600)
now I have a 35 mrca to a Payne.

Of my 7 matches at FtDNA, 6 are to the Kipling family.. but one at Ancestry is to a Lockwood, who would be a maternal family name in the Kipling set. Again, these are NOT relative/ Family Finder, this is Y Dna.
It is not as if I have a lot of matches either, except for Payne, I only have 7 matches on FtDNA, the Payne is from Ancestry, perhaps 100 names down the list.
Just wondering if this is showing up for others.
Rich C

TigerMW
05-07-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. I don't have any close matches in the last 200-300 years and it looks my Y DNA matches are in the 500-800 years ago range in one group and 800-1200 in a second. There are multiple surnames in both of these ranges. I think we see in general that surnames show up with multiple completely different haplogroups (so there are a number of unrelated groups within the surname) and we usually see a closely related person or two with a different surname pop up in larger groups.

Claxon
05-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I was only wondering if others had found a similar trend. Thanks for your input... of course surnames came about from VILLAGE name origination, so perhaps that is part of the answer.
So, many residents of a town, regardless of haplogroup, would have the same surname... .. Just mentioning I am finding matches in YDNA that are recent MRCA, are surnames that I have that are maiden names in my genealogy....
I must say I have found sisters and brothers marrying into the others new families, so here is another reason... not much migration between small towns. I am an Englishman, so this may be more prevalent within the past 300 years than in perhaps, the US.
RichC

RichC

Claxon
05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I found a bit of an answer at this link. We are related, all of us, within recent history.
This is part of what I am seeing in my Ydna matches where the surnames match "mothers" maiden names. Lack of movement within villages in Europe.
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/05/07/charlemagnes-dna-and-our-universal-royalty/