PDA

View Full Version : BBC Horizons hominid aDNA last night

MacUalraig
10-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned but Alice Roberts was on the box again last night reviewing hominid aDNA - Neandarthals/Denisovans etc. Picked up some things I'd overlooked before.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07z8034/horizon-20162017-16-the-lost-tribes-of-humanity

Worth a watch if you missed it and have the technology.

Jean M
10-13-2016, 10:41 AM
This programme had stunning visuals. The photography was evocative, but it was the investment in brilliant illustration that was most impressive, both the faces created by artists in a cave and the painted scenes. I could watch it all over again just for the look of it. The content was bang up to date, as far as I could tell, and Alice Roberts did her usual excellent job as a presenter.

10-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Yep, saw it on my Filmon app chromecasted to TV. Was interesting but didn't learn anything new.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
10-13-2016, 12:29 PM
Yes I saw it and enjoyed it. I keep wondering how much Neanderthal I have? :). Interesting about their use of feathers etc. as decoration and their skill with flint tools. I liked the part about the "hobbits" and Denisovans too.

J1 DYS388=13
10-13-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanks for calling my attention to this programme. Very well written. Everyone speaking to camera from a script, or from what they clearly have spoken about many times before. No awkward interviews, with the presenter ad-libbing with repeated use of the word "incredible" when he or she can't think of anything else to say. No phoney building of suspense to "reveal" the bloody obvious at the very end. The Seattle scientist's work was news to me. I hope everyone will be able to view this programme eventually.

Mestace
10-17-2016, 12:03 PM
Is there any way to see it outside UK ? (it's blocked). I ve tried on youtube, no luck.

MacUalraig
10-17-2016, 12:34 PM
They use your IP address to check if it looks like you reside in the UK. You can spoof it but bit of a grey area legally - and in time the beeb are catching up with you ;-) Hola is one I've heard mentioned.

SveinD
10-19-2016, 02:31 PM
What I learned was the fact while most of us have a small percentage Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA, I have 2.3% of both, it is not the same region of DNA we each have and adding up all the small percentages apparently, if I remember correctly, about 70% of the Neanderthal DNA has survived in the Home sapien population and a slightly smaller percentage of the Denisovan DNA.

On the same subject I also read a couple of days ago about a study of the Australian aborigine's DNA where they had detected DNA from a hitherto unknown "Homo species" in their DNA.

It is a very interesting time we live in.