PDA

View Full Version : Helix, The Closely Watched DNA Startup, Makes Uncertain Debut :welcome:

Amerijoe
10-27-2016, 02:58 AM
https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemlee/helix-announces-debut?utm_term=.sjGREen0l#.suR6xDMdy

ArmandoR1b
10-27-2016, 03:33 AM
We'll have to see after people start reporting their experience how good or bad the service is.

Heber
11-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Interesting Business Model

"On Wednesday, Helix, a Silicon Valley startup created with $100 million from Illumina and private equity firms, announced the launch of its genetic-testing service for the masses, powered by Illumina’s technology.
Helix’s much-anticipated first offering is a popular National Geographic test that has helped 800,000 people learn about their distant ancestry. Beginning in November, customers will buy the $149 test through a National Geographic app or Helix’s website. Helix will send them spit kits, sequence their DNA, and store their data in the cloud, while National Geographic will analyze the DNA for ancestry markers.....

The person familiar with the company said Helix will probably charge a base fee of $100 to $200 to join, on par with 23andMe’s cost. (Asked for comment, Kao said, “We’re still working through all the things.”) On top of that, a report for non-medical information — such as what your ancestry is, or how quickly you metabolize coffee — could cost less than $10, Kao said."

Heber
11-21-2016, 09:57 PM
Genetics Startup Helix Wants To Create A World Of Personalized Products From Your DNA
As the price of DNA sequencing drops, a new wave of consumer genomics companies is taking the science mainstream. Are you ready?

The first Helix-powered product to hit the market is National Geographic’s Geno 2.0 test, which provides information on users’ family trees. While National Geographic has marketed a similar test for nearly a decade, the partnership with Helix allowed it to drop the price from $200 to $149. Even more, customers won’t need to be resequenced if they sign up for a different application from National Geographic, or any other Helix partner, in the future. "This will be the first deep-sequencing test broadly available on the consumer market," says Thurston.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065413/genetics-startup-helix-wants-to-create-a-world-of-personalized-products-from-your-dna

wombatofthenorth
11-22-2016, 01:48 AM
Interesting Business Model

"On Wednesday, Helix, a Silicon Valley startup created with $100 million from Illumina and private equity firms, announced the launch of its genetic-testing service for the masses, powered by Illumina’s technology.
Helix’s much-anticipated first offering is a popular National Geographic test that has helped 800,000 people learn about their distant ancestry. Beginning in November, customers will buy the $149 test through a National Geographic app or Helix’s website. Helix will send them spit kits, sequence their DNA, and store their data in the cloud, while National Geographic will analyze the DNA for ancestry markers.....

The person familiar with the company said Helix will probably charge a base fee of $100 to $200 to join, on par with 23andMe’s cost. (Asked for comment, Kao said, “We’re still working through all the things.”) On top of that, a report for non-medical information — such as what your ancestry is, or how quickly you metabolize coffee — could cost less than $10, Kao said."

I'm confused since I haven't heard anything about a new Nat Geo test. It's almost December and it's still Geno 2.0 NG.

Amerijoe
11-22-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm confused since I haven't heard anything about a new Nat Geo test. It's almost December and it's still Geno 2.0 NG.

Here you go, orders for USA only at this point.

https://www.helix.com/

Ann Turner
11-23-2016, 11:41 AM
Sorry, I posted a new thread in the Geno 2.0 forum before I noticed this one:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9137-Helix-now-doing-the-testing-for-the-Genographic-Project

wombatofthenorth
11-30-2016, 06:15 AM
Hmm not sure this good. That means Geno no longer lets US customers download their data, do matching, upload to GEDMATCH, transfer to FTDNA and it sounds like they test less markers.
What will happen to the improved ancestry composition they were to be working on if they now switch to some possibly lesser, more generic chip with fewer ancestry SNPs?

ArmandoR1b
11-30-2016, 04:33 PM
Hmm not sure this good. That means Geno no longer lets US customers download their data, do matching, upload to GEDMATCH, transfer to FTDNA and it sounds like they test less markers.
What will happen to the improved ancestry composition they were to be working on if they now switch to some possibly lesser, more generic chip with fewer ancestry SNPs?All good reasons to stay away from it.

vettor
11-30-2016, 05:42 PM
What will happen to the improved ancestry composition they were to be working on if they now switch to some possibly lesser, more generic chip with fewer ancestry SNPs?

The confusing part is that................natgeno state that either Helix or Ftdna labs will do the testing for natgeno, yet Helix only do USA tests.

it could mean, that:
-helix customers must be from the USA and tested by Helix with Nat geno presentation of results.
-Natgeno customers who are from the USA will be sent to Helix labs.
-Natgeno customers outside of the USA will be sent to ftdna labs for testing

This is how I read it

Dewsloth
11-30-2016, 05:52 PM
I've been waiting for my mom's NG 2.0 results for months, and now when I check, the NG site has a blurb at the bottom that says that people who get their results with a Helix test will get separate notification and instructions, so the whole setup looks like it's changing, and what Helix customers even see at NG may be very different from the old NG.

At least (if they ever come) I should still be able to port mom's results to FTDNA.