PDA

View Full Version : MyHeritage matches

wandering_amorite
10-28-2016, 11:01 PM
I've been exploring MyHeritage's extremely long list of upload-generated matches with gusto, and have noticed some interesting things. First, I'm getting a lot of distant, lower-cM matches with British, Scandinavian, and German-Americans, even though there's never been any evidence to suggest I have recent Northern European ancestry. Are any other Jews on MyHeritage finding this? Does this indicate that they have Jewish ancestry that I'm not discerning from their family trees/that they don't even know about?

Also, one of my highest non-Jewish matches is an upper-class northern Brazilian man, with whom I share 38.1 cM over 2 segments one of them being 29.7 cM. While 15th-17th century Portuguese Jewish ancestry would be unsurprising, this segment seems far too long to be of distant provenance. No tests indicate that I have recent non-Jewish ancestry, and all the surnames I see in the last few generations of his tree are solidly Portuguese.

Thoughts?

kikkk
10-28-2016, 11:21 PM
I think most of myheritage matches are not enough trustworthy; I have dozens of +30 cM-shared-block matches (some of them being Jewish) there that dont appear neither on FF nor on Gedmatch lists and that, at the same time, look far-fetched ancestry-wise.
Probably most of those matches are not IBD's but mere IBS's.

RobinBMc
11-09-2017, 06:35 PM
My closest match on MyHeritage (after my parents and grandfather) shares 89.5‎ cM with me and yet isn't a match to either of my parents. That means they are either a false positive match to me, or a false negative match to one of my parents. Either way, it's really a bit of a joke.

greerpalmer
11-10-2017, 12:40 AM
I would be very careful using MyHeritage matches. Between my parents and I, I have found dozens of matches from Russia, Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Croatia, Macedonia, Austria, Belgium & Italy--all nations with no known family history (but bordering known countries of origins which gets me overly excited) only to find they are a 1:1 0-match on GEDmatch. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I would check every match 1:1 before diving deeper.

RobinBMc
11-10-2017, 02:25 PM
I would be very careful using MyHeritage matches. Between my parents and I, I have found dozens of matches from Russia, Estonia, Poland, Sweden, Norway, Croatia, Macedonia, Austria, Belgium & Italy--all nations with no known family history (but bordering known countries of origins which gets me overly excited) only to find they are a 1:1 0-match on GEDmatch. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I would check every match 1:1 before diving deeper.

Thanks, I contacted the person I mentioned and he never got back to me so it seems unlikely he'll upload to gedmatch and if he has/does he's not on my one to many list. It's a shame, because I'd like to figure out whether he's a false positive to me, or false negative to one of my parents.

evon
12-16-2017, 07:08 PM
My aunt got a fully Spanish match from Madrid today at 15cM, I suspect it is either a false positive, or it could be via common German/Jewish type ancestry, as the only confirmed Spanish sounding name in my family tree is from the 1500's, which seems too far back..

Geborgenheit
12-16-2017, 07:29 PM
I have dozens of Spanish matches on My Heritage. Honestly ? The funniest part: when I click on review match, there mostly appears a message you do not have any ethnicities in common. Yeah, but you are still cousins. How ?

All people are brothers and sisters. :)

evon
12-16-2017, 07:51 PM
I have dozens of Spanish matches on My Heritage. Honestly ? The funniest part: when I click on review match, there mostly appears a message you do not have any ethnicities in common. Yeah, but you are still cousins. How ?

All people are brothers and sisters. :)

That can actually be explained by the different methodology which "admixture" and "matches" are calculated, in short they dont always overlap (as an example, admixture visualization often uses "smoothing" to make the results more uniform, 23andme uses this method).

Geborgenheit
12-16-2017, 08:11 PM
Hei! Thank you for your comment, I've already suspected something like that, considering that I have so many matches form different countries.

Askye
12-17-2017, 04:41 AM
I think most of myheritage matches are not enough trustworthy; I have dozens of +30 cM-shared-block matches (some of them being Jewish) there that dont appear neither on FF nor on Gedmatch lists and that, at the same time, look far-fetched ancestry-wise.
Probably most of those matches are not IBD's but mere IBS's.

From everything I am reading on Pub Med studies, matches that long would always be IBD.

evon
12-19-2017, 03:48 PM
My DNA files vanished when I updated my Family tree, I will try re-uploading using build 36 and build 37 files via FTDNA to see if there are any differences in the number of matches etc via Myheritage.. What build did the the rest of you use when uploading from FTDNA?

FionnSneachta
12-19-2017, 06:49 PM
My DNA files vanished when I updated my Family tree, I will try re-uploading using build 36 and build 37 files via FTDNA to see if there are any differences in the number of matches etc via Myheritage.. What build did the the rest of you use when uploading from FTDNA?

I know that GEDmatch only accepts build 36 but Genesis accepts 37. Maybe MyHeritage is something similar?

evon
12-19-2017, 10:22 PM
I know that GEDmatch only accepts build 36 but Genesis accepts 37. Maybe MyHeritage is something similar?

I will post about it here tomorrow when I have had a look at the results...

evon
12-20-2017, 01:20 PM
Well, my aunts Spanish match vanished after the reload, and my wife got 5 new matches (before she only had one) :P so I am very skeptical about the matching algorithm Myheritage uses...

evon
01-04-2018, 07:15 PM
My mother got a match with what seems to be a Parsi (Zoroastrians living in India) at 17,6‎ cM.. Quite interesting, hoping he is on Gedmatch so I can check if it is a real match or not..

timberwolf
01-04-2018, 07:24 PM
My mother got a match with what seems to be a Parsi (Zoroastrians living in India) at 17,6‎ cM.. Quite interesting, hoping he is on Gedmatch so I can check if it is a real match or not..

I am very skeptical as well. I have reloaded my raw data multiple times, bot only does the ethnicity estimate change every time, so does the matching list.

This time I have a match from Costa Rica, as well as Finns and Swedes. It simply does not much any sense.

evon
01-04-2018, 07:37 PM
I am very skeptical as well. I have reloaded my raw data multiple times, bot only does the ethnicity estimate change every time, so does the matching list.

This time I have a match from Costa Rica, as well as Finns and Swedes. It simply does not much any sense.

I would expect the ethnic % to "change" a little with each upload, it is the same with the other DNA estimates too (FTDNA, DNA.Land etc).. However, it is more worrying when matches come and go with each upload. So I want to verify it using Gedmatch...

I assume you are of colonial ancestry, if so having matches in those locations would not be unexpected...

evon
01-04-2018, 07:51 PM

Well he confirmed he is Zoroastrian and very surprised by our match... :P

timberwolf
01-04-2018, 07:52 PM
My lot is from the British Isles who largely emigrated to NZ. I think some of the extended family went to Australia and North America, so having relatives from those nations is expected.

It is also possible in theory to have Dutch and Nordic matches, however everyone on my paper back to the 18th century is British.

On Gedmatch genesis I have a lot of German matches, some French, Swiss, Finnish and Scandinavian matches. I cannot explain that, and I doubt that they are real.

evon
01-04-2018, 08:00 PM
My lot is from the British Isles who largely emigrated to NZ. I think some of the extended family went to Australia and North America, so having relatives from those nations is expected.

It is also possible in theory to have Dutch and Nordic matches, however everyone on my paper back to the 18th century is British.

On Gedmatch genesis I have a lot of German matches, some French, Swiss, Finnish and Scandinavian matches. I cannot explain that, and I doubt that they are real.

DNA matches can go much further back than the 1800's. My mother, as an example, has plenty of matches in Germany, her German ancestry is from the 1500-1600's.

timberwolf
01-04-2018, 08:10 PM
DNA matches can go much further back than the 1800's. My mother, as an example, has plenty of matches in Germany, her German ancestry is from the 1500-1600's.

Interesting.

Certainly in my case, there is a family rumor of French Calvinist descent, if that is the case, then we are taking about the 17th century, if not 16th century. I have never been able to prove this however.

I don't know of any possible German ancestry.

evon
01-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Well he confirmed he is Zoroastrian and very surprised by our match... :P

I think the match is real, as it seems to be Romani related (the common matches between my mother and this match all have a link to obvious Romani matches at Myheritage), although I am surprised by the size of the segment. I guess since both Romani and Zoroastrian communities have practiced endogamy since the middle ages, such matches reflect common Iranian type ancestry within the Romani genepool. So in essence the match should date back to around 1100CE...

Baltimore1937
01-05-2018, 12:53 PM
I have my tree posted at My Heritage. But I haven't used them for a DNA test.

RVBLAKE
01-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Hey cousin, I corresponded with you some time ago. I am L-664 as well, looking at Middle Ages Fleming connections.

msmarjoribanks
01-05-2018, 01:25 PM
You can upload your DNA from other sites. I uploaded my parents and mine.

I haven't explored the matches, since I find navigating the site kind of clunky (probably because I'm not that familiar with it yet).

Basta
01-11-2018, 11:57 AM
What happened with MyHeritage. Yesterday I had 84 matches, today 405!!! :eek:

Also, some of my old matches were changed, for example one came from cca 80 cM to cca 35 cM.

Modernancientdna
01-11-2018, 12:07 PM

Also, some of my old matches were changed, for example one came from cca 80 cM to cca 35 cM.

Thanks for update, last time I check only 3 matches on MyHeritage right now it's 322 matches

evon
01-11-2018, 01:07 PM

I wish Myheritage would release the parameters they use for matching, as I suspect they use very low SNP's in their calculations.. I went from around 100 matches to 1400 matches...

Modernancientdna
01-11-2018, 01:25 PM
This new matches with MyHeritage is interesting cause some people I don't even match any ethnic region on the autosomal results however, we will match 36.9 CM with largest segment 25 CM

FionnSneachta
01-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Wow I have 1,730 matches now. That's bonkers. I thought that I only had around 2 or 3 pages of matches last time I checked. At least I can use the shared matches function now. I never saw it before but that could have been because I had no shared matches with matches. Thank you for bringing people's attention to it.

RobinBMc
01-11-2018, 06:25 PM
My closest match on MyHeritage (after my parents and grandfather) shares 89.5‎ cM with me and yet isn't a match to either of my parents. That means they are either a false positive match to me, or a false negative match to one of my parents. Either way, it's really a bit of a joke.

I just checked today and it looks like this issue has been resolved. The match in question now matches my dad and my paternal grandfather. There's were a lot of changes to the match lists in general too, for the better, it looks like.

Robert1
01-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Wow, my matches jumped from less than 100 to 4,000! And comparing a few known matches from other sites the segments are the right size and location. Looks promising.

timberwolf
01-12-2018, 04:25 AM
Just checked mine. I now have 1574 and from countries, I cannot imagine having matches with. I am shaking my head a bit.

Geborgenheit
01-12-2018, 05:05 AM
Contrary to what others are saying, my number of matches hasn't increased significantly.
However, many matches, and exactly those on the first and second pages, supposedly the closest, have disappeared! I have found one of my original matches and now it stands "Not related". How ? "DNA Matches have been recalculated to provide more accurate results. This particular match is no longer considered a correct match."
I see also no Jewish matches anymore and much more Slavic matches from Russia, Poland and Ukraine. Some weird German and Scandinavian matches are still there.

timberwolf
01-12-2018, 05:12 AM
Contrary to what others are saying, my number of matches hasn't increased significantly.
However, many matches, and exactly those on the first and second pages, supposedly the closest, have disappeared! I have found one of my original matches and now it stands "Not related". How ? "DNA Matches have been recalculated to provide more accurate results. This particular match is no longer considered a correct match."
I see also no Jewish matches anymore and much more Slavic matches from Russia, Poland and Ukraine. Some weird German and Scandinavian matches are still there.

I am not sure that my heritage's matching system is credible.

Geborgenheit
01-12-2018, 05:39 AM
I do not trust them anymore, especially as one of the closest matches according to them has disappeared now.

timberwolf
01-12-2018, 05:44 AM
I do not trust them anymore, especially as one of the closest matches according to them has disappeared now.

With me it is not so much that. it is the weird matches with non Uk or Ireland people.

Basta
01-12-2018, 06:53 AM
I have found one of my original matches and now it stands "Not related".
I have one of those too.

karwiso
01-12-2018, 05:29 PM
Please see their blogg: https://blog.myheritage.com/2018/01/major-updates-and-improvements-to-myheritage-dna-matching/

We’re excited to announce major updates and improvements to DNA Matching rolled out today for all our users. Anyone who took a MyHeritage DNA test, and anyone who uploaded DNA data from another service, will now receive more accurate DNA Matches; more plentiful matches (about 10x more); fewer false positives; more specific and more accurate relationship estimates; and indications on lower confidence DNA Matches to help focus research efforts. We also added the long-requested Chromosome Browser feature, described below.

and

More distant matches are now allowed. After increasing the accuracy of the matches and calibrating the above parameters, we felt comfortable allowing more distant matches to be presented to you. Previously the minimum of shared DNA for a match was 12 cM and now the minimum is 8 cM. This together with the other improvements yielded a tenfold increase in the number of DNA Matches our users will now receive.

timberwolf
01-12-2018, 05:53 PM
Please see their blogg: https://blog.myheritage.com/2018/01/major-updates-and-improvements-to-myheritage-dna-matching/

and

Fewer false matches, still mean there are false matches.

RobinBMc
01-12-2018, 06:20 PM

That happened to my kits too, but that actually seems to have made it more accurate, not less. For me, anyway.

Modernancientdna
01-12-2018, 06:27 PM
I have no regions in common with this person, how I can match 36.9 CM?

Geborgenheit
01-12-2018, 07:32 PM
That's quite typical for MyHeritage: to have matches with people sharing no common ethnicites.

Modernancientdna
01-12-2018, 08:02 PM
That's quite typical for MyHeritage: to have matches with people sharing no common ethnicites.

So is relation possible cause we share no common ethnicity, or MyHeritage has poor reference and they calcutator shuffle components very often?

Modernancientdna
01-12-2018, 08:09 PM

Here is another one, how I can match?

Geborgenheit
01-12-2018, 10:13 PM
So is relation possible cause we share no common ethnicity, or MyHeritage has poor reference and they calcutator shuffle components very often?

As far as I understand, the relation is possible, it's more likely that the ethnicity estimate is somewhat wrong than that matches are wrong.

Modernancientdna
01-12-2018, 11:29 PM
As far as I understand, the relation is possible, it's more likely that the ethnicity estimate is somewhat wrong than that matches are wrong.

I see, or maybe is proof not look at ethnic estimate only review your highest CM matches with MyHeritage, use your raw data for other sites cause MyHeritage results is in development the results doesnt add up

Deftextra
01-13-2018, 12:12 AM
A bunch of new matches appeared for me. What surprised me is this Hispanic which I match a total 22.6cm largest 14.7cm. I have a ton of hispanic matches on ancestryDNA/ged-match ranging from 11-6cm, but I have never had one as large as this :confused:

edit: The 14.7 cm is only 256 snps, whereas the smaller segment 7.99cm is 4352snps, which is extremely large for such a small segment from my experience. So I guess it fits the usual trend of such matches for me.
what is interesting though this time is that I share exactly the same segments with another Hispanic (and we triangulate) which is a first. So I guess its likely a real match but very distant.

RobinBMc
01-13-2018, 05:19 PM

Ethnicity is only an estimate and I would not take it literally. MyHeritage's ethnicities are particularly poor, in my experience, so not sharing an ethnicity with a DNA match doesn't mean it's a false match.

msmarjoribanks
01-14-2018, 01:53 AM
That happened to my kits too, but that actually seems to have made it more accurate, not less. For me, anyway.

Same for me. My prior closest matches are gone and the current closest are people I know as not too distant cousins. They are almost certainly closer than the missing matches from before.

vettor
01-14-2018, 06:05 PM
The site to me is fairly accurate , only if you use the ...shared DNA ....sorting line
of my top 6 people on the list using this method, I have confirmed 4 with my family tree as far back as 1780

Modernancientdna
01-22-2018, 02:58 AM
I re-upload to MyHeritage, this what I got assign

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:16 AM

Yeah I didn't trust them at all before but I am starting to somewhat trust them now.

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:23 AM

through the Balkan probably, smaller bits of heritage don't show up for everyone on every site

some of the non peasant, non-serf classes bounced all over Eastern Europe

my dad scores a touch of Balkan on some tests but gets none on MyHeritage, he has some very Balkan matches, he almost certainly has a bit of Balkan ancestry

my mom has some Baltic German lines some of which surely, eventually lead back to Germany and some perhaps to the Netherlands and some probably to Scandinavia and one part must go back to Scotland, etc. but she scores 100% Baltic on MyHeritage and 100% Eastern European on MyOrigins 2.0, 0% Western European with Geno 2.0 NG/MyOrigins 1.0, etc. In fact the only tests that realize she has some Western European are Geno 2.0 and 23 and some GEDMATCH stuff. She has some matches that are almost totally Dutch or Swedish or are Polish and Ukranian or are like all from the UK, etc.

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:24 AM

common on 23 too (often on the exact same segment we match, we each get assigned a different ancestry hah, I often see us get EE and the match get say B&I, 23 tends to smooth over smaller exotic bits if they are surrounded by large chunks of your main ancestry so in those cases they are smoothing away either our B&I or their EE or perhaps it's really German (which is sort of like half way between but since we have so much EE they more easily call German as EE for us and since they have so much B&I they more easily call German B&I for them, etc.)

bet it would be common on FamilyTree but they don't let you really see the ancestry of matches

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:28 AM
Here is another one, how I can match?

Why not, they have Balkan and Scandinavian, hardly shocking if some Belarusian got into the Balkans or Scandinavia or some Scandinavian or Balkan got into Belarusian ancestry tree way back somewhere or other.

wombatofthenorth
01-28-2018, 04:31 AM

I don't think it would be surprising at all to have German and Scandinavian matches with a Ukrainian/French background, either background has mixed with those populations not so terribly rarely (especially French+German).

Modernancientdna
01-28-2018, 06:27 AM
through the Balkan probably, smaller bits of heritage don't show up for everyone on every site

some of the non peasant, non-serf classes bounced all over Eastern Europe

my dad scores a touch of Balkan on some tests but gets none on MyHeritage, he has some very Balkan matches, he almost certainly has a bit of Balkan ancestry

my mom has some Baltic German lines some of which surely, eventually lead back to Germany and some perhaps to the Netherlands and some probably to Scandinavia and one part must go back to Scotland, etc. but she scores 100% Baltic on MyHeritage and 100% Eastern European on MyOrigins 2.0, 0% Western European with Geno 2.0 NG/MyOrigins 1.0, etc. In fact the only tests that realize she has some Western European are Geno 2.0 and 23 and some GEDMATCH stuff. She has some matches that are almost totally Dutch or Swedish or are Polish and Ukranian or are like all from the UK, etc.

True.

Second results I posted is half Sweden/half Portugal, the first results I dont know

firemonkey
01-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Lots of 'low confidence' matches. I wonder what the thresholds are for low,medium and high .

wombatofthenorth
01-29-2018, 06:26 AM
Yeah I didn't trust them at all before but I am starting to somewhat trust them now.

then again beyond the top matches it does look a bit dicey and they handle the top matches a bit differently than other places too

Basta
01-29-2018, 07:13 AM
I'm a Balkan boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ntmxAu0Lg

and many matches are not of my ethnicity.

My subjective impression is that MyHeritage is a good tool now.

Modernancientdna
01-29-2018, 09:00 AM
I'm a Balkan boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ntmxAu0Lg

and many matches are not of my ethnicity.

My subjective impression is that MyHeritage is a good tool now.

My top matches Balkans, Ukraine, Russia, on MyHeritage the matches make sense I know personal history, ethnic estimate poor still needs development

firemonkey
01-31-2018, 04:11 AM
Proof that their ethnicity tool is crap ?

Waller matches father 72.2/23- 4 segments . Ethnicities -North and West Europe,Finnish

Waller matches me 39.6/23.3- 2 segments. Ethnicities - Irish/Scottish/Welsh,Finnish, South Asian

Although I get Finnish with Dna tribes and My heritage with trace amounts on FTDNA and some on Dna land -23andMe upload I've as good as dismissed this as false.

Modernancientdna
01-31-2018, 04:32 AM
Proof that their ethnicity tool is crap ?

Waller matches father 72.2/23- 4 segments . Ethnicities -North and West Europe,Finnish

Waller matches me 39.6/23.3- 2 segments. Ethnicities - Irish/Scottish/Welsh,Finnish, South Asian

Although I get Finnish with Dna tribes and My heritage with trace amounts on FTDNA and some on Dna land -23andMe upload I've as good as dismissed this as false.

The general regions of matches are comparable with other matching databases Gedmatch, Ancestry, FTDNA, etc

Check this match though, is puzzling I have, we share 0.9% on ethnic. Something don't add up here and this can be evidence their algorithm is flawed.

I share only 0.9% but this is a top match for me 15 CM

evon
02-02-2018, 09:27 PM
My grand uncle got a fairly interesting match recently, she seems to be west Asian.. Unfortunately the matching segments do not overlap with his Kurdish match..

Turns out the match is a Yemeni Jew, very interesting..

Deftextra
02-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Any ideas on the origin of this person I match?
I assumed this person would be a middle-eastern/european mix, but on a second look today I am not quite sure.
The last name was not very helpful since, although of Jewish origin, is also used by Europeans.

17.8% North african
11.9% Middle eastern
21.7% Greek
43.0% Italian
3.5% Ashkenazi Jewish
2.1% North and West Europe
---------------------------

The match is very small 8.6.cm (2,048 snps). I usually ignore small matches but the snp's of this match is quite high.
Regions we share is Middle-eastern (I score 14.5%) and Greek (I score 2.4%).

Geborgenheit
02-18-2018, 06:46 PM
Any ideas on the origin of this person I match?

Probably South Italian.

Geborgenheit
02-18-2018, 06:47 PM
Just checked the number of matches, mine has gone over 500. Seriously ?!

msmarjoribanks
02-19-2018, 05:06 PM
I've got 4258 matches currently. The standards for a match seems way too low.

For kicks I looked just at Swedish matches and it listed matches as weak as 1 shared segment, 8 cM (best Swedish ones were 2 shared segments, 21+ cM, and checking my mom a bunch of the higher ones show up as matches for her with 2 segments, 30-something cM, so that's cool).

evon
03-02-2018, 04:01 PM
Got a match from Greenland today, fairly interesting admixture results, about 30% English ( it should be Danish of course), 5% Baltic, around 40% Inuit and 10% central American...

RobinBMc
03-02-2018, 04:47 PM
I've got 4258 matches currently. The standards for a match seems way too low.

How so? As you mentioned, the weakest matches seem to share a minimum longest segment of 8cM, which is above the more standard threshold of 7cM and higher than most other companies.

evon
03-02-2018, 04:49 PM
How so? As you mentioned, the weakest matches seem to share a minimum longest segment of 8cM, which is above the more standard threshold of 7cM and higher than most other companies.

We have matches with only 6cM, which is likely the lowest threshold... Which is too low...

RobinBMc
03-02-2018, 06:56 PM
We have matches with only 6cM, which is likely the lowest threshold... Which is too low...

You're right, when I sort by total shared DNA, my weakest matches say 8cM, but when sorted by longest segment, it's 6cM. However, AncestryDNA's cut off is also 6cM, but it's not as though it's unheard of. Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me since I don't pay much attention to matches at the bottom of my list regardless of the cut off. I tend to focus on the matches on the first few pages, and any shared/in common with matches to them.

Actually, looking at it more closely (MyHeritage), it seems as though the cut off if you share only one segment is 8cM, but the cut off if you share more than one segment is 6cM. That's actually a higher standard than AncestryDNA, where there is no distinction - the cut off is simply 6cM regardless of how many segments you share.

vettor
04-14-2018, 05:58 PM
close matches from myheritage...so far 2 for 2 for me.....
.found out yesterday that a 3.1% match is a relative from a sister of my grandfather paternal line.......the sister was born in 1891...one of her 4 daughters was elisabetta b.1910 and I found it with a person born 1985
so now I have relatives from families named ...campeol, gemin and stella:):beerchug:

BTW...I never tested with hyheritage , I only transferred results

what myheritage presented me

Shared DNA
3.1% (227.1‎ cM)
Shared segments 9
Largest segment 58.1‎ cM

the previous confirmed match was via my maternal line ...match was from the year 1780

it shows

Shared DNA
1.1% (75.8‎ cM)
Shared segments 5
Largest segment 26.3‎ cM

vettor
04-17-2018, 06:38 PM
close matches from myheritage...so far 2 for 2 for me.....
.found out yesterday that a 3.1% match is a relative from a sister of my grandfather paternal line.......the sister was born in 1891...one of her 4 daughters was elisabetta b.1910 and I found it with a person born 1985
so now I have relatives from families named ...campeol, gemin and stella:):beerchug:

BTW...I never tested with hyheritage , I only transferred results

what myheritage presented me

Shared DNA
3.1% (227.1‎ cM)
Shared segments 9
Largest segment 58.1‎ cM

the previous confirmed match was via my maternal line ...match was from the year 1780

it shows

Shared DNA
1.1% (75.8‎ cM)
Shared segments 5
Largest segment 26.3‎ cM

working out the 3.1% ...............if I get 25% of my grandfather and this match gets 12.5% of my grandfather sister , how do we only match 3.1%

Shadogowah
04-19-2018, 06:37 PM
working out the 3.1% ...............if I get 25% of my grandfather and this match gets 12.5% of my grandfather sister , how do we only match 3.1%

You get 50% from each of your parents that in turn got a 50% from theirs. That DOES NOT MEAN you get an exact 25% from ALL your 4 grand parents.

That 50% of your auDNA you got from your mother is a random mix of your two maternal grandparents and you could have inherited way more from one than from the other. Same with your father.

Hipothetically there is the extreme case (although highly improbable and for sure impossible) that you could have inherited all the genes from only two grandparents (one on each line) and nothing from the other two. (The half you get from each of your parents happen to match exactly the half they got from only one of theirs)

vettor
04-19-2018, 06:50 PM
You get 50% from each of your parents that in turn got a 50% from theirs. That DOES NOT MEAN you get an exact 25% from ALL your 4 grand parents.

That 50% of your auDNA you got from your mother is a random mix of your two maternal grandparents and you could have inherited way more from one than from the other. Same with your father.

Hipothetically there is the extreme case (although highly improbable and for sure impossible) that you could have inherited all the genes from only two grandparents (one on each line) and nothing from the other two. (The half you get from each of your parents happen to match exactly the half they got from only one of theirs)

Thanks

I figured it out yesterday ........the 3.1% is correct .............I have just uploaded my 1st cousin ( once removed ) and expect to get 6.25% ......we will see in a few days

msmarjoribanks
04-19-2018, 08:23 PM
You're right, when I sort by total shared DNA, my weakest matches say 8cM, but when sorted by longest segment, it's 6cM. However, AncestryDNA's cut off is also 6cM, but it's not as though it's unheard of. Frankly, it doesn't really matter to me since I don't pay much attention to matches at the bottom of my list regardless of the cut off. I tend to focus on the matches on the first few pages, and any shared/in common with matches to them.

Actually, looking at it more closely (MyHeritage), it seems as though the cut off if you share only one segment is 8cM, but the cut off if you share more than one segment is 6cM. That's actually a higher standard than AncestryDNA, where there is no distinction - the cut off is simply 6cM regardless of how many segments you share.

I may just not have paid as much attention to my weaker Ancestry matches, since they aren't as interesting (or hadn't been). I do think all those cut offs are so low that likely they include a lot of false matches.

My understanding, however, is that Ancestry does some extra things to try to weed out common matching segments that tend to match on everyone of similar backgrounds.

FionnSneachta
04-19-2018, 09:37 PM
My understanding, however, is that Ancestry does some extra things to try to weed out common matching segments that tend to match on everyone of similar backgrounds.

Ancestry does seem to based on my matches. I have a match on FTDNA who doesn't match my mum nor I on Ancestry. I don't know the connection to him so I don't know how far back the match is. According to FTDNA, we share 48 cM. My mum apparently shares 45 cM with him. My dad doesn't match him. Considering I have a greater match with him than my mum, this seems to suggest that my dad must share a small bit of DNA him as well. When I look at the chromosome browser, it highlights the same region on chromosome 16 for both my mum and I. This seems to suggest that that this is quite a conservative region of the chromosome that isn't prone to crossover.

I find this quite funny because this match was initially certain that we were connected on my paternal line since we shared the same surname and were Y-DNA matches. However, through testing my mum and dad it proved that he was actually connected on my mum's side through autosomal DNA. Now, I don't even know if that's a recent connection.

Shadogowah
04-21-2018, 07:38 AM
If you have also tested your parents and you can confirm that your shared longest segment with a third person also matches with the same or even longer length one (and only one) of your parents, then you can lower the cut to 7cM with some confidence.

If you didn't test your parents, any shared segment below 11cM has a very high probability of being a false positive.

If you happen to belong to communities with a high degree of endogamy (Finnish, white South Africans, etc..) you need to rise the cut.

Shadogowah
04-21-2018, 07:49 AM
The interesting bit, however, is to know how many shared SNPs per cM is MyHeritage using to identify a match because I find a bit surprising that the lengths for my matches in MyHeritage are significantly longer than in gedmatch (i think gedmatch defaults to 500 SNPs but warns you to re-check any match with 700 to have some confidence the match is legit)

Shadogowah
04-21-2018, 08:08 AM
I uploaded my parents data a couple of days ago and I started to check the suggested matches with the longest shared segments. I am finding lots of matches with longest segments lengths above 20 cM that are totally bogus (they do not match any of my parents). I don't know which is the criteria followed by MyHeritage to calculate the lengths but it is indeed quite loose.

RobinBMc
04-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Yes, I'm still finding some matches who don't match either of my parents but not like it was before. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that my dad tested on AncestryDNA's V2 chip. At FTDNA, uploads from Ancestry V2 don't have as many matches as they should because there's still somewhat of a compatibility issue with V2 uploads. I'm guessing the same is happening at MyHeritage. My mom and I tested on AncestryDNA V1, so I'm guessing when I have a match who doesn't match either of my parents, they are a false negative match to my dad and simply aren't matching him due to the V2 chip issue.

Shadogowah
04-21-2018, 11:59 PM
In my case the three of us have been tested by the same company with the same stuff. As I mentioned, lots of matches with allegedly long segments totally look like false positives.

RobinBMc
04-22-2018, 12:15 AM
In my case the three of us have been tested by the same company with the same stuff. As I mentioned, lots of matches with allegedly long segments totally look like false positives.

It's not really a matter of whether you tested at the same company or not. If any of you tested on AncestryDNA's V2 chip, there could be matching problems. Alternatively, even if none of you tested on AncestryDNA's V2 chip, some of your matches will have and so those matches might be having problems matching consistently.

I just know one of my matches was previously not matching either of my parents... then MyHeritage made some changes to the match list, and now this person is a match to my dad. So I would not automatically assume they are false positive matches to you - they could just as easily be false negative matches to one of your parents.

msmarjoribanks
04-25-2018, 06:15 PM
If they are all on Gedmatch you possibly could see if they are false positives or not, as you could see where they match the parents even if it's too small in total to register as a match.

Shadogowah
04-26-2018, 10:09 AM
If they are all on Gedmatch you possibly could see if they are false positives or not, as you could see where they match the parents even if it's too small in total to register as a match.

I can only correctly identify my matches in Gedmatch using an email address that corresponds to the person managing the data or an ID this person used to identify the kit while the matches in MyHeritage are presented mostly with name and surname or another identifier that has nothing to do with the one in Gedmatch. So far I haven't been able to cross any data.

Shadogowah
04-26-2018, 10:38 AM
The interesting bit is, however, that matches I am positively sure to be legit also show up in MyHeritage but sharing much shorter (and sensible) segments.

msmarjoribanks
04-26-2018, 05:11 PM
That's frustrating that you can't place them. Individual segments of over 20 cM would seem not false -- I think the false ones are often short segments plus inflated total matching cM from very short segments. If they are high enough to be of special interest, I'd probably try emailing to see if the person is on Gedmatch.

Shadogowah
04-28-2018, 07:23 AM
That's frustrating that you can't place them. Individual segments of over 20 cM would seem not false -- I think the false ones are often short segments plus inflated total matching cM from very short segments. If they are high enough to be of special interest, I'd probably try emailing to see if the person is on Gedmatch.

I do it every now and again but I usually focus on the Spanish and Spanish-American ones and tend to leave others apart unless some detail suggests a connection (I suspect I have some sefhardic ancestry and that could explain a lot). As mentioned, I find very unlikely to have matches in Canada or the Netherlands.

Basta
07-31-2018, 07:43 AM
The interesting bit, however, is to know how many shared SNPs per cM is MyHeritage using to identify a match because I find a bit surprising that the lengths for my matches in MyHeritage are significantly longer than in gedmatch (i think gedmatch defaults to 500 SNPs but warns you to re-check any match with 700 to have some confidence the match is legit)

I've found this. Too much difference for my taste.

Ancestry: 12.5cM across 3 segments
MyHeritage: 23.4cM across 3 segments

Geborgenheit
09-10-2018, 05:50 PM
Speechless about MyHeritage. Now you need to buy the Premium subscription to contact matches! Exactly when I have got an interesting match there.

PoxVoldius
09-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Speechless about MyHeritage. Now you need to buy the Premium subscription to contact matches! Exactly when I have got an interesting match there.

Somehow, I can't say I'm surprised. MyHeritage seems to want to tack fees onto practically everything. Wonder how long it will be before they start charging for uploading data from other testing companies?

Geborgenheit
09-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Somehow, I can't say I'm surprised.

I'm just surprised because it hasn't been announced anywhere and I still could contact my matches not so long ago there.

evon
09-11-2018, 08:59 AM
I'm just surprised because it hasn't been announced anywhere and I still could contact my matches not so long ago there.

It sometimes happens to me (I think it is only when the match is administrated by someone else), but in general I can contact all my matches from the main list and I dont have premium..

Geborgenheit
09-11-2018, 01:57 PM
I have checked it again today and now it is possible to send a message. Either MyHeritage is reading this forum or it has been a glitch in their system. :)

mildlycurly
10-14-2018, 09:23 PM
I share no heritage on the ethnicity estimate with a Mexican-American guy but share 15.8 cM with him.

A bit strange I think.

evon
10-15-2018, 09:42 AM
I share no heritage on the ethnicity estimate with a Mexican-American guy but share 15.8 cM with him.

A bit strange I think.

It is normal to not share ethnicity with matches, I get it all the time... It is because ethnicity % are just estimations, that are not written in stone..

Vrump
10-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Personally, with a simple transfer of genetic data (23andme and ftdna to Myheritage) I was able to find at least three cousins. I was able to confirm a family link with their family tree regarding two of the cousins, and about the third cousin I was able to confirm a family link by contacting him and asking for some information, it turned out that his paternal grandfather was the brother of my paternal great-grandmother.

Geborgenheit
10-15-2018, 01:20 PM
It is normal to not share ethnicity with matches, I get it all the time...

For me it happens even with my top matches on the first page.

I have a French and a Norwegian match on the first page. While the French match has at least a symbolic Eastern Europe %, the Norwegian shares no ethnicities with me.

Geborgenheit
10-15-2018, 01:20 PM
It is normal to not share ethnicity with matches, I get it all the time...

For me it happens even with my top matches on the first page.

I have a French and a Norwegian match on the first page. While the French match has at least a symbolic Eastern Europe %, the Norwegian shares no ethnicities with me.

ph2ter
11-03-2018, 12:03 PM
I found my first match on MyHeritage which I can confirm on a paper. My father with that man shares 0.7% DNA (46.6 cM) with 4 segments and with the biggest segment of 15.2 cM. I found a common ancestors 5 generations before my father that were born in 1754 and 1769 (a married couple).

erwangery
11-06-2018, 11:21 PM
Congratulations! I have a match with whom I share 1,9% DNA (135,7cm), 8 segments, longest segment: 36,6‎ cM. Still waiting for his genealogical info, but our most recent common ancestor should be even more recent than in your case. Thanks for sharing, I understand better what I can expect.

Baltimore1937
12-17-2018, 07:16 PM
I don't have many close relatives. But it's fun to look at the list of matches by country, many of which are given "low confidence" rating. I have one from Romania, which is a complete mystery. Seven from Spain, of which only one has a Spanish surname. The others must be retired or working there. One from the Cayman Islands. Maybe she works in one of those naughty banks. Three from Argentina, two of which have Italian surnames. But it's fun to look at the list when I'm bored and have nothing else to do.

vettor
12-21-2018, 05:33 PM
I don't have many close relatives. But it's fun to look at the list of matches by country, many of which are given "low confidence" rating. I have one from Romania, which is a complete mystery. Seven from Spain, of which only one has a Spanish surname. The others must be retired or working there. One from the Cayman Islands. Maybe she works in one of those naughty banks. Three from Argentina, two of which have Italian surnames. But it's fun to look at the list when I'm bored and have nothing else to do.

the difference between a low and medium confidence , is medium confidence have blocks of 10cm or greater, low does not

that's is the explanation I received

I avoid all my low ones , as I seem its a waste of time, while medium ones, I have great success with