PDA

View Full Version : Recruits!

rms2
05-11-2013, 05:35 PM
I mentioned over on the L226 thread that I while I was in Ireland in late March I recruited a guy with the surname Hogan for y-dna testing. I recruited another gentleman surnamed Quinn here in the USA, and FTDNA finally got his sample today. Hooray! It took two weeks for them to get the sample even though it was only coming from Virginia. I was a little worried that it had gotten lost in the mail.

Mr. Quinn knows his immigrant ancestor came from Ireland, but that's about it for now. I noticed in the Quinn DNA Project a substantial M222+ contingent. Of course, there are some non-M222 Quinns, as well, and even some non-R1b Quinns.

So, who knows how my friend will come out, but I am hoping he is L21+, at the very least.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Quinn/default.aspx?section=yresults

The Aer Lingus pilot on the trip from New York's JFK Airport to Shannon Airport back in March was Kevin Quinn. Funny coincidence . . .

rms2
05-11-2013, 05:37 PM
The Hogan and Quinn samples should both go to the lab this Wednesday. Not sure what the batch number will be.

When they get some results, I will have them join the Ireland Project, as well as any other appropriate projects (with their consent, of course).

AJL
05-11-2013, 05:47 PM
This one is a relative of mine by marriage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Quinn_(ice_hockey)

He can certainly afford to pay for his own test, though. :)

Rathna
05-11-2013, 05:49 PM
I knew a Quinn, who was very close to me (R-L23*), was adopted and I found probably his family of origin and a probably link with Italy, perhaps at the Roman time. He gave me the Dubliners read by English actors. He knew I admired J. Joyce.

Dubhthach
05-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Quinn is quite a common surname and with several independent origins, not surprising when you consider the two main Irish language surnames, namely:

Mac Cuinn (son of Conn) and Ó Cuinn (Grandson of Conn). Conn was a very common name it's still found as a name today here in Ireland. Of course one of most famous examples was "Conn of the Hundred Battles" the titular ancestor of both the Connachta and their Uí Néill brethern.

Ó CUINN—I—O Quyn, O Quine, O Coyne, O'Quin, Quin, Quinn, Queen, Coyne; 'descendant of Conn' (head, sense, reason, intelligence; also a freeman); a very common surname in all parts of Ireland. There are several distinct families so called, of which the following are the best known:—(1) Ó Cuinn of Thomond, a branch of the Dal gCais, descended from Conn, lord of Muinntear Ifearnain, who flourished in the latter part of the 10th century. They were originally seated at Inchiquin, and their territory which, from their clan-name, was designated Muinntear Ifearnain, comprised the country around Corofin, in Co. Clare. The Earl of Dunraven is a member of this family. (2) Ó Cuinn of Annaly, a branch of the Conmaicne and of the same stock as the O'Farrells, who were chiefs of Muinntear Giollagain, an extensive district in Co. Longford, until towards the end of the 14th century when they were supplanted by the O'Farrells. Quin is now a very common surname in Co. Longford. (3) Ó Cuinn of Antrim who were chiefs of Magh Lughadh and Siol Cathasaigh. Conghalach Ó Cuinn of this family, 'a tower of valour, hospitality, and renown of the North of Ireland,' was slain by the English in the year 1218. (4) Ó Cuinn of Magh Itha, in the barony of Raphoe, now numerous in West Ulster. (5) Ó Cuinn of Clann Cuain, a branch of the Ui Fiachrach, who were chiefs of Clann Chuain, in the neighbourhood of Castlebar, Co. Mayo. About the middle of the 12th century they transferred their allegiance from the Ui Fiachrach to the Siol Muireadhaigh and became tributary to MacDermott of Moylurg. Ó Cuinn is pronounced O'Coyne in the south of Ireland; hence the anglicised form Coyne which is sometimes used.

Mac CUINN—IV—MacQuinn, MacQuin, MacGuinn, Quinn, 'son of Conn' (sense, reason, also a freeman, an ancient Irish personal name).

rms2
05-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Honestly, I'm hoping for one of FTDNA's "Niall of the Nine Hostages" badges for my buddy and an eventual M222+ result, because that would be fun for him. His wife, who is Italian, just recently gave birth to their first child, a boy. My friend said that fact has sparked his interest in genealogy. He wants to be able to tell his son about their heritage.

We passed through the little village of Quin (with one "n" - Cuinche in Irish) in County Clare quite a few times when we were in Ireland. I understand the name has to do with the five roads leading out of the village, but what the heck.

Dubhthach
05-11-2013, 07:42 PM
That's a case of unrelated angliscations, problem with changing names/words form one language into another is that things often get conflated.

I had a quick google in case of Quin, it seems that "five roads" is abit of a false translation (five = cúig). Logainm.ie which is the Placename database has the following:
http://www.logainm.ie/Iomhanna/97/po7979_1.JPG

See wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_unedo

rms2
05-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I figured there was no connection to the surname after reading the Wikipedia article on the village of Quin, but I did not know the "five roads" explanation (again, from Wikipedia) was an error. Interesting. When we were driving around in County Clare and first saw the village, however, I immediately thought there must be some connection to the surname.

MacEochaidh
05-11-2013, 10:20 PM
I mentioned over on the L226 thread that I while I was in Ireland in late March I recruited a guy with the surname Hogan for y-dna testing. I recruited another gentleman surnamed Quinn here in the USA, and FTDNA finally got his sample today. Hooray! It took two weeks for them to get the sample even though it was only coming from Virginia. I was a little worried that it had gotten lost in the mail.

Mr. Quinn knows his immigrant ancestor came from Ireland, but that's about it for now. I noticed in the Quinn DNA Project a substantial M222+ contingent. Of course, there are some non-M222 Quinns, as well, and even some non-R1b Quinns.

So, who knows how my friend will come out, but I am hoping he is L21+, at the very least.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Quinn/default.aspx?section=yresults

The Aer Lingus pilot on the trip from New York's JFK Airport to Shannon Airport back in March was Kevin Quinn. Funny coincidence . . .

If your Mr. Quinn has the given name Art (Arthur) in his family, he could very well be from Co. Derry or Co Tyrone. My paternal grandmother was a Quinn from Derry and there were so many Quinn families there they took to using common given names to describe each family. Her family was known as the Quinn-Arthurs.

rms2
05-12-2013, 12:23 AM
I'll have to ask him. He's a good Irishman, about the age of one of my sons, with, as I mentioned, a young family and a great sense of humor. I know, I know: he's an American, but as far as I am concerned, he is an Irishman. :amen:

rms2
05-15-2013, 11:22 PM
My two recruits, Hogan and Quinn, kits 284650 and 284703, respectively, are in Batch 516, predicted due date 28 June 2013. B)

rms2
06-07-2013, 07:54 AM
The 12-marker results for my two recruits are in. Both are predicted to be R-M269 (good, good).

Mr. Hogan has a lot of matches. Quinn has a lot of matches, too, and is only one off Hogan. :)

rms2
06-08-2013, 04:30 PM
It's really kind of interesting how similar the haplotypes of my two recruits turned out to be. They are just one off, with the difference coming at 389I, where Hogan has the modal of 13 and Quinn has 12.

Hogan, kit 284650: 13 24 14 11 11-15 12 12 11 13 13 29

Quinn, kit 284703: 13 24 14 11 11-15 12 12 11 12 13 28

Hmmm . . .

rms2
06-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Yesterday evening was kind of fun. Armed with what genealogical information Quinn, kit 284703, had, I was able to use Ancestry.com to find his immigrant ancestor, who was his 2nd great grandfather, Patrick Quinn, who was born around 1830 in Ireland. Not sure where in Ireland yet, but that info might be coming soon. Interesting stuff! B)

rms2
06-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Yesterday evening was kind of fun. Armed with what genealogical information Quinn, kit 284703, had, I was able to use Ancestry.com to find his immigrant ancestor, who was his 2nd great grandfather, Patrick Quinn, who was born around 1830 in Ireland. Not sure where in Ireland yet, but that info might be coming soon. Interesting stuff! B)

By gathering a bit more information, e.g., the names of Quinn's father's uncles and aunt, I was able to firm up the connection to the immigrant via census records. It looks like Quinn's immigrant ancestor was born in Galway, but whether Galway City or somewhere in County Galway, I don't know.

Ancestry.com was pretty effective in this case.

Dubhthach
06-14-2013, 08:32 PM
By gathering a bit more information, e.g., the names of Quinn's father's uncles and aunt, I was able to firm up the connection to the immigrant via census records. It looks like Quinn's immigrant ancestor was born in Galway, but whether Galway City or somewhere in County Galway, I don't know.

Ancestry.com was pretty effective in this case.

Well Galway city was quite small at this stage, it had been in close on terminal decline since the wars of the 17th century. It would have been just a large town at this stage.

-Paul
(DF41+)

rms2
06-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Well Galway city was quite small at this stage, it had been in close on terminal decline since the wars of the 17th century. It would have been just a large town at this stage.

-Paul
(DF41+)

I'm thinking it probably wasn't Galway city, but I don't know that. Patrick James Quinn, born 25 March 1825, immigrated first to Canada, I'm not sure exactly when, with his wife Bridget Giltenan Quinn. She was born in 1834 in County Clare. By 1880 they had moved down to Pocahontas County, Iowa.

mooredan
06-17-2013, 03:49 AM
I'm working on recruiting some distant relatives to submit DNA samples to help shore up some of my not-so-solid sources in my contemporary family tree. I have found so far that these relatives (who are also strangers) have some reluctance and easily understandable apprehension.

I think that they might actually be more comfortable with participating in the genographic project (given the National Geographic name recognition) versus the FamilyTreeDNA test. To help with their decision to participate or not, I have offered to incur the cost of testing. ...provided that they share the results.

Anyway, my question is is there an advantage of one test or another for our purposes? I know that the ftdna data goes right in to their database, but isn't possible for project administrators to import data from natgeo?

rms2
06-17-2013, 07:52 AM
I'm working on recruiting some distant relatives to submit DNA samples to help shore up some of my not-so-solid sources in my contemporary family tree. I have found so far that these relatives (who are also strangers) have some reluctance and easily understandable apprehension.

I think that they might actually be more comfortable with participating in the genographic project (given the National Geographic name recognition) versus the FamilyTreeDNA test. To help with their decision to participate or not, I have offered to incur the cost of testing. ...provided that they share the results.

Anyway, my question is is there an advantage of one test or another for our purposes? I know that the ftdna data goes right in to their database, but isn't possible for project administrators to import data from natgeo?

As far as I know, admins cannot import data from the Genographic Project. We don't have access to it. Members have to do that themselves.

Regarding which test to order, that depends on what you want. If you are looking for genealogical y-dna matches, then you need STR testing from FTDNA. If these are relatives who are on other lines, then you want autosomal testing like Family Finder from FTDNA or 23andMe's autosomal testing.

The Geno 2.0 test does not include STR markers.

rms2
07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm thinking it probably wasn't Galway city, but I don't know that. Patrick James Quinn, born 25 March 1825, immigrated first to Canada, I'm not sure exactly when, with his wife Bridget Giltenan Quinn. She was born in 1834 in County Clare. By 1880 they had moved down to Pocahontas County, Iowa.

Mr. Quinn got his L21+ result this morning and his 25-marker upgrade. He'll be happy.

My other recruit, Mr. Hogan, is L226+. We're still waiting on his 25-marker upgrade, since he just missed the cut-off to get the upgrade into the same lab batch as his L226 test.

rms2
07-03-2013, 03:07 PM
I would like to see the R-L21 Plus Project used in part to recruit potential L21+ newbies, but that will require a very robust general fund and the willingness to tolerate a few failures (i.e., when a recruit turns out to be L21-).

Of course, unless we can recruit people who are enthusiastic about genetic genealogy, that is, enthusiastic enough to begin to purchase upgrades for themselves, we're likely to get a sort of minimalist blob of folks with 12-marker haplotypes and L21+ results.

I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

Celtarion
07-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Recruitment has started in Brittany! I'm in contact with one guy who made some testing years ago but I don't know the name of the company yet and he is very interested to do it again.

We have started to discuss to build a project for men in south west of Brittany and we will start to recruit some people interested in genetic and genealogy first. As this is very sensitive in France due to bioethics laws, we will make it based on volunteers only and only for people who are interested and there will be no ad nor any spam emails about genetic testing.

Also, I plan to meet him during summer when I'll be in Brittany for some holidays, so we will discuss in detail as he has some friends who would be interested too. So it could turn into a little meeting around some ciders and crepes!

More info to follow :-)

Celtarion
10-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Some good news there!

- Since the launch of my new blog (http://legall-bzh.blogspot.ie) who met a great success (more than 1730 times viewed in 2 weeks with only 3 pages published ), I have been in contact with a good number of french people who wanted to know about genetic testing. My first feeling is that, there is a huge need to make more and more pages in french language (i.e ISOGG, FTDNA, CHROMO, GENO 2.0...) as there is a huge lack.

- 1 breton has placed an order through 23andMe and has received his kit

- 3 bretons are interested to place an order, I have used Skype to discuss with one of them and I'll take the opportunity to meet the 3 of them next week as I ll travel to Brittany for a week

- Some of the others have sent me some emails or comments through my blog to discuss

Exciting time :)

rms2
10-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Some good news there!

- Since the launch of my new blog (http://legall-bzh.blogspot.ie) who met a great success (more than 1730 times viewed in 2 weeks with only 3 pages published ), I have been in contact with a good number of french people who wanted to know about genetic testing. My first feeling is that, there is a huge need to make more and more pages in french language (i.e ISOGG, FTDNA, CHROMO, GENO 2.0...) as there is a huge lack.

- 3 bretons are interested to place an order, I have used Skype to discuss with one of them and I'll take the opportunity to meet the 3 of them next week as I ll travel to Brittany for a week

- Some of the others have sent me some emails or comments through my blog to discuss

That is really great news. I hope you get many new recruits!

Mikewww
10-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Some good news there!

Great work indeed! I remain convinced that France is a critical area of study for L21 and P312 overall. I can't speak French, but anything we can do to help you out would be great. Don't hesitate to ask for help.

Celtarion
10-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Super thanks guys! Will keep you posted anyway.

RobertCasey
10-11-2013, 03:32 PM
My other recruit, Mr. Hogan, is L226+. We're still waiting on his 25-marker upgrade, since he just missed the cut-off to get the upgrade into the same lab batch as his L226 test.

Just to let you know, I am also L226+ and ordered my Full Genome test several months ago. Since L226 has many surname clusters, getting new YSNPs under L226 would be useful to separate around 240
known L226 predicted 67 marker submissions:

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L21/Analysis/R_L21_Analysis_L226.html

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L21/DNAResults/L226_20130111B.xls

MacUalraig
10-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Just to let you know, I am also L226+ and ordered my Full Genome test several months ago. Since L226 has many surname clusters, getting new YSNPs under L226 would be useful to separate around 240
known L226 predicted 67 marker submissions:

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L21/Analysis/R_L21_Analysis_L226.html

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L21/DNAResults/L226_20130111B.xls

Robert, I agree splitting L226 would be very interesting but one FullG test isn't going to do it so what is part two of the plan? Concentrate on further recruitment for sequencing or will you try to persuade someone to make all (30-40??) new SNPs in your chromosome available so then can be tested against others.

Celtarion
10-25-2013, 12:22 PM
DNA Testing - tracking and results - updates

GENO 2.0
- f261190 - kit ordered 17/10 (a good friend of mine, he is a norman). Kit returned
- 1 Breton (Carfantan) good paper trail back to 1599 in Brittany (Cotes d'Armor). Kit returned

23andMe
- 1 Beton (Pencalet) good paper trail back to 1620 in Brittany (Finistère). Kit returned
- 1 Breton (Penneg) good paper trail back to 1600 in Brittany (Finistère). Kit returned

Other person interested to order
- 1 Breton (La Parliere) - He has some Irish names in his genealogical tree (i.e Dean) from his mother side otherwise, his surname is from east part of Brittany (Ille et vilaine).
- 1 Breton (Le Jeune) - Brittany (Finistère)
- 1 Breton (Guillemain) - Brittany (Cotes d'Armer)
- 1 Cornish (Argall) - Cornwall.

Good news is they are all fluent in english so it will facilitate the understanding of the results and when reading groups and forums.

Updates to follow :-)

Edited: Welcome to Brittany (http://vimeo.com/75257746) - Short video presenting Quiberon and Carnac showing one of the biggest stones alignment in Brittany. Enjoy guys and have a very good weekend :-)

Celtarion
11-21-2013, 12:42 AM
[QUOTE=Celtarion;17476]DNA Testing - tracking and results - updates

We have a result delivered B)

23andMe
- 1 Breton (Pencalet) good paper trail back to 1620 in Brittany (Finistère). Kit returned

Y-DNA - R1b > L21
Mtdna - U3

rms2
12-16-2013, 01:57 AM
DNA Testing - tracking and results - updates

We have a result delivered B)

23andMe
- 1 Breton (Pencalet) good paper trail back to 1620 in Brittany (Finistère). Kit returned

Y-DNA - R1b > L21
Mtdna - U3

That is good news.

Any way to convince him to order at least 12 STR markers from FTDNA so we can get him into the R-L21 Plus and Bretagne Projects?

Celtarion
12-16-2013, 02:58 AM
That is good news.

Any way to convince him to order at least 12 STR markers from FTDNA so we can get him into the R-L21 Plus and Bretagne Projects?

Yes, he wants to do it early in 2014.

Mikewww
12-20-2013, 06:18 PM
This is great work! Thank you.

Gerard C mentioned he tried to contact the scientists leading the National Genographic Co. Mayo project that released results this November.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/11/21/the-genographic-project-returns-to-ireland-to-reveal-dna-results/

http://www.mayo.ie/dnn/NewsSports/GenographicProject.aspx#.UrSI_xDOTGk

There should be 100 people from Co. Mayo with Geno 2 test results. It would be great if we could get them to join the Irish Heritage project regardless of having SNPs or not. At least we'd have visibility to who is L21 and then could invite the L21 folks to the R-L21 project.

Has anyone heard back on if there is a way to get the 100 people in Mayo invited, cajoled or whatever to transfer their results into the FTDNA system and join a project?

Celtarion
12-20-2013, 08:16 PM
I think that it might be more complicated than you think really. Gerard might face a situation where Geno might discuss about data protection of the people who tested, and to be honest, they would be right to do it. The other situation is, if they agree to do something for Mayo, then, they would have to make an agreement with Asturias as well, etc... I don't know, pure speculation from my side anyway, just saying.
I know that it might be frustrated, however, I think that the best approach would have been to get in touch with the people who were attending the event, so then it would have been easier from a genetic and genealogy perspectives. Or an ISOGG local representation would have been a big plus to keep in touch with thespecially for this event.

Celtarion
01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just to give you an update and a very exciting news!

I'm glad to announce that we have our first Breton DF21. He will soon join DF21 project on FTDNA.

Congrats to Jean :beerchug:

rms2
01-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just to give you an update and a very exciting news!

I'm glad to announce that we have our first Breton DF21. He will soon join DF21 project on FTDNA.

Congrats to Jean :beerchug:

Can you get him to join the R-L21 Plus Project, too?

Celtarion
01-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Can you get him to join the R-L21 Plus Project, too?

He already knows, I gave him all the necessary weblinks.

rms2
01-11-2014, 03:13 PM
He already knows, I gave him all the necessary weblinks.

He joined last night or early this morning.

I see that he has only Geno 2.0 results and no STRs. Does he plan on ordering some STRs from FTDNA? His entry won't show up on our Y-DNA Results pages until he has some STRs.

Celtarion
01-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Some news from f261190 - Geno returned his results P310... :roll eyes:

Can you please advise what SNP hasn't been tested by Geno?

Otherwise, they give him as 1st population ref, greek... (LoL) and second population (Italy)... It does not make sens t

MJost
01-11-2014, 05:27 PM
Some news from f261190 - Geno returned his results P310... :roll eyes:

Can you please advise what SNP hasn't been tested by Geno?

Otherwise, they give him as 1st population ref, greek... (LoL) and second population (Italy)... It does not make sens t

You are noticing a fault with the Geno2 Chip, important SNPs are unsupported M269, P312, & DF27. P312 was failing so it was removed. I don't think DF27 was around in 2011 when the chip was designed.

MJost