PDA

View Full Version : A Good Match Upgrades to 111 Markers

rms2
05-12-2013, 11:48 AM
This forum seems to be really slow moving these days, so I figure there is no harm in posting some personal genetic genealogy stuff. Feel free to talk about yours, as well.

Stephens, kit 208061, who not only has a variant of my surname but is one of my closest matches at 67 markers (64/67), has ordered an upgrade to 111 markers. I'm happy about that. I hope the match holds up!

Our three differences come on two fast-mutating markers: CDYa,b and 557. We are two off at CDY, where I have an apparent RecLoH, 38-38, and he has 37-39. At 557 we are one off. I have 17 there, and he has 16. If our difference at CDY is indeed due to a RecLoH, then it may really be only a single step and not the two it appears to be. Both of us have tested DF41+.

So you see, the match is a pretty good one, especially given the surnames, which are essentially the same (mine is Stevens).

He can trace his mdka to Caswell County, North Carolina, 1789. Mine was born in 1804 in Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia (part of Virginia back then). We can't connect our lines yet, but every piece of the puzzle helps.

Wish I could convince all of my closest matches to upgrade to 111 markers.

rms2
05-12-2013, 12:25 PM
You know, awhile back a lady emailed me about our Family Finder match (I forget how many cm's it was). The only possible surname connection she could see was Stevens, and for her the connection came via a female traced to a male Stevens mdka who lived in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, in the 17th century but who had emigrated from Gloucester in England. I don't even remember the lady's name. We exchanged emails briefly but then lost touch because we weren't really able to confirm the connection, since I can't get my y line past my 3rd great grandfather, who was born in 1804.

I live in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, so the possibility that my immigrant y ancestor lived here is intriguing. I know there are a bunch of old Stevenses and Stephenses from the 17th and 18th centuries buried at various places around here. It would be weird indeed if my immigrant ancestor were buried 5 or 10 minutes from my house.

An immigrant ancestor arriving in Virginia in the 17th century makes sense, though. One branch of his descendants could have gone to Caswell County, North Carolina, which is not far from the Virginia border, while another (my line) could have gone north, up to the Wheeling area. Wheeling is on the old National Road and on the Ohio River, both of which were important for the movement of goods and people west and south.

MJost
05-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Steve,

I can see your matches staying at 111 markers. I have three 67 matches upgraded to 111 that went from (which show that there proabably will have some additional mutations in the new 44 markers added. Most of my differences were fast.)
3 to 5
6 to 8
9 to 13

Now what is interesting is the multi copy marker reporting in a infinite alleles model format but probably should not be used in close family Genentic distance. Your GD calculations is really two and not three but is a good tool for lineage placements.

I have about 19 HTs and our DYS557 had a mutation from L21 and has stayed there consistantly back 1K years. CDY has much more fippyness over my 19 67 marker cluster guys and adding my next 20 guys with only 37 markers, CDYa & b was all over the place, 36 to 39 and 38 to 42 repective swings across 1.8K ybp.

MJost

razyn
05-12-2013, 06:25 PM
An immigrant ancestor arriving in Virginia in the 17th century makes sense, though.

My wife has some Stevens/Stephens ancestry from E. Tennessee, probably Virginians before that. I zapped you a note about them that I compiled last year for somebody with an autosomal match.

rms2
05-13-2013, 12:02 AM
My wife has some Stevens/Stephens ancestry from E. Tennessee, probably Virginians before that. I zapped you a note about them that I compiled last year for somebody with an autosomal match.

Thanks. I sent you a reply.

My Stephens match and I have both had the Family Finder test, but we don't match each other, so our common y-dna ancestor had to have lived long enough ago that what little of his autosomal dna that we both share (if in fact any of it remains in either of us) is scanty enough not to show up on Family Finder.

My ballpark estimate is about 300 years to our mrca, which puts him in about the mid-17th century. That makes sense to me. If it's right, our y-dna line had already been in this country over a hundred years before either of our mdka's were born. Naturally that makes finding the immigrant like hunting for a needle in a haystack.

Heck, I don't even know who my 3rd great grandfather's father was, and he was probably born sometime in the mid to late 18th century. Based on the 1810 census for Ohio County, Virginia, I think his name was James, but I'm certainly not sure about that. Besides, "James Stevens" seems about the next best thing to "John Smith" there is.

Jenny
05-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Here's an odd one. Match and I are off by two markers at 67. But apparently his part of Finland is far superior to my family's little niche. We share farm names but they are in different provinces.
He ordered the 111 marker test, but we haven't (yet), in an effort to prove how dissimilar we are. Match adamantly states no male ever ever in his extended family in Karelia ever moved further west.

rms2
05-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Here's an odd one. Match and I are off by two markers at 67. But apparently his part of Finland is far superior to my family's little niche. We share farm names but they are in different provinces.
He ordered the 111 marker test, but we haven't (yet), in an effort to prove how dissimilar we are. Match adamantly states no male ever ever in his extended family in Karelia ever moved further west.

Denial is a constant hazard in genetic genealogy.

Mikewww
06-13-2013, 03:52 PM
Wish I could convince all of my closest matches to upgrade to 111 markers.

Thanks for sending out the notice to the L21 project on the Y STR upgrade sales.

I think we should all go check our low level matches in our myFTDNA screens and email are low level matches who haven't upgraded. Now is a good time. Some times the personal touch is what people are looking for. When I try this most usually don't upgrade but every time I'll get one or two more. Some times it is well worth it.

MJost
06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
I also sent out the sale notice to a couple of my surname projects and the Ross project has already two upgrades to 111 markers, one 37 and the other 67markers currently. Thats outstanding.

MJost

rms2
06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
All of my very closest matches either have 111 markers now or a 111-marker upgrade on order, with two exceptions: the Beddoes and Prices. I suspect the Beddoes have been poisoned by their project admin's mania for "privacy". I'll have to try a couple of the Prices again.