PDA

View Full Version : H4 project critique of write up?

Judith
11-07-2016, 05:01 PM
I have recently become a volunteer admin on the ftdna H4 project.

I have written up a fair bit on background including the population density in different countries of Europe and the near east, and added some real FAQs and Esko has put in some or our results.

So I have pulled together ideas people have submitted to the project on our exchange of inputs, ideas from this forum, the technical literature and ideas from Jean M's 2 books. Jean has said some kind words about what I have pulled together and I am gradually correcting silly mistakes and tidying the references.

What do you guys all think?
What more could I include to improve it?
I would value your inputs either on this forum, or directly by PM
I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Saetro
11-07-2016, 08:07 PM
Well set out.
Easy to read.
Just what I would hope for if I were H4 with limited experience.

Some mention of a reference made me want to look that up, and I did not know where to go.
The information turned out to be at the bottom of the page.
Current expectations are of a more obvious lead - a hyperlink, or at least (see below).
Otherwise I enjoyed it.

I leave the fact checking to others.

R.Rocca
11-08-2016, 02:24 AM
Very nice write up Judith. Thanks!

R.Rocca
11-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Judith, perhaps you can add to your write up that there is an additional Mid/Late Bronze Age sample from Croatia that is H4a1a4. It was revealed in a poster session during the summer.

See here:
Preliminary results of a prehistoric human ancient DNA time series from coastal and hinterlad Croatia
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303044230_Preliminary_results_of_a_prehistoric_hum an_ancient_DNA_time_series_from_coastal_and_hinter land_Croatia

The Bronze Age sample, JAZ1, plots next to modern day Balkans and very close to Croatians. Its haplogroup does not provide clear evidence for a steppe component, but there is a suggestive H4 haplogroup, common inpeople from the Caucasus area (and Iberia) and absent from Europe before the Late Neolithic/Bronze Age.

Judith
11-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks I missed the Croatia one totally. I look forward to more, since it was the flyer for a future main event.
I had seen that heat map and of course it misses the source population which matches many project members (being anglo-Irish).
I would always prefer to be told (even many times) about something that I already know about than miss something that I would like to know.
Many thanks again.