PDA

View Full Version : Y-DNA results; is this common?

Missouri1455
11-09-2016, 05:03 PM
So my tribe members usually get a y-dna along the lines of J-FGC1695 subclade of M9597 but my y-dna came out as E-CTS2500 with subclade of M215 anyone know why that is?

Thank you in advance

ArmandoR1b
11-09-2016, 11:53 PM
Geno 2.0 has a lot of unreliable Y-DNA SNPs included in it's test so you should check your raw file to be sure you were assigned the correct haplogroup.

First go to your FTDNA default page then go to the Genographic Transfer section the click on Download Y-DNA SNPs as CSV like in the screenshot below

I can check the file also if you can upload that file to a file sharing site and PM me link or even post the link here if you are ok with others seeing the data.

You can also have a haplogroup E project admin take a look at it if they haven't already once you download the file. The admins don't always know how to work with the files though.

If you are willing to get a BigY or FullGenomes test then none of this is necessary. To get a BigY test I think that you would need to get a Y-DNA STR test from FTDNA first though.

Missouri1455
11-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Geno 2.0 has a lot of unreliable Y-DNA SNPs included in it's test so you should check your raw file to be sure you were assigned the correct haplogroup.

First go to your FTDNA default page then go to the Genographic Transfer section the click on Download Y-DNA SNPs as CSV like in the screenshot below

I can check the file also if you can upload that file to a file sharing site and PM me link or even post the link here if you are ok with others seeing the data.

You can also have a haplogroup E project admin take a look at it if they haven't already once you download the file. The admins don't always know how to work with the files though.

If you are willing to get a BigY or FullGenomes test then none of this is necessary. To get a BigY test I think that you would need to get a Y-DNA STR test from FTDNA first though.
I downloaded both files what is the easiest way to study them; its my first time downloading such files; and how can i get a Y-DNA STR from FTDNA?

Plus can our admixtures influence our haplogroups?

Thanks in advance

ArmandoR1b
11-11-2016, 12:51 AM
I downloaded both files what is the easiest way to study them; its my first time downloading such files;
It's not easy. You have to compare your alleles to a database such as the CSV file at http://ybrowse.org/gbrowse2/gff/ I've built a macro that does it automatically.

and how can i get a Y-DNA STR from FTDNA?
There should be a sale within the next 30 days so if you are going to get one above 12 STR markers and want to save money then you should wait. When you log in to your FTDNA account there is a link at the very top right of the page that says Upgrade.

Plus can our admixtures influence our haplogroups?

Thanks in advance
No, the Y-DNA does not recombine at all. The testing method and/or analysis can provide you with false results though. Y-DNA SNPs mutate which is why there are new SNPs every 3-4 generations and that is why people are getting NGS testing like BigY to find novel SNPs previously unnamed. When places such as YFull and FullGenomes analyze the raw files from the BigY test they do a very good job. Tests like Geno 2.0, 23andme, LivingDNA and so on can't find novel SNPs. Y-DNA STRs change even more randomly and can't be used to create trees like SNPs can but STRs can be used to predict a general haplogroup, and with 111 STR markers they can tell you if you have a match that is very likely to be from the past 500 years. For whatever reason FTDNA wants people to at least get a 12 marker STR test before getting a BigY test. The 12 marker STR test is hidden for people that have an account with FTDNA. You have to logout of the account then order it from a project if you want it. There won't be a sale on the 12 marker test and if you want to get that let me know which project you want to join so I can point you to the 12 marker test.

Missouri1455
11-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Interesting; so my Gedmatch results came out, and all my matches have a y-dna majority of R1s alongside J1/J2, I1, M35 and a small minority of E1s