PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA 12th Annual Conference

GTC
11-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Here, courtesy of Jennifer Zinck, is a report of Day 1. Included is coverage of Dr Hammer's presentation back-grounding the new AncientOrigins feature.

http://www.ancestorcentral.com/12th-international-conference-on-genetic-genealogy-saturday/

GTC
11-14-2016, 09:53 AM
And here's Jennifer's report of Day Two:

http://www.ancestorcentral.com/12th-international-conference-on-genetic-genealogy-sunday/

ArmandoR1b
11-14-2016, 01:00 PM
Here are some of the things that I liked from the blog report of Sunday -

Looking ahead, Big Y feature updates are coming. Doron has talked today about the ability to take BAM files and create trees. That is powerful but it’s just one of the features needed. Another feature that has been fully developed and will be coming soon is the Big Y Browser. This allows us to see depth, confidence score, and investigate why they called or did not call something.

Population finder will have more populations. It will be focusing on deeper Europe, South Native American (Peru, Brazil etc.) and Mideast populations.

For mtDNA, build 17 has been released and build 18 is coming. They are currently on build 14. Right now heteroplasmies are poorly taken into account and there will be a revised matching taking into account the heteroplasmies. This is coming soon. Elliott does not know if it will be the beginning or middle of Q1.

As far as transfers, 23andMe v3 and Ancestry v2 will be coming very soon. The code behind the comparisons is complete. They are having a problem making it display and it’s being programmed now. It’s not a big problem and they expect it out in the next 3-5 weeks.

When will there be SNP matching feature for SNP packs for terminal or near terminal SNPs? There is a feature in Big Y for matching and it’s getting an update quite soon. It will go from around 35,000 SNPs to around 130,000 or 140,000 SNPs. They don’t know how they will incorporate SNP pack customers into that.

In the haplotree I’d like to see breadcrumb nodes when I go to the path Elliott said that would not be terribly hard and it’s a good idea.

Bennett said he had a demonstration to do. He has been asked by the lab folks to change how swabs are done. They are making a change to the swab because of productivity. They are limited with the current extraction modality. They have a limitation of about 1,000 samples a day so they can end up with backlogs. Bennett does not like backlogs. FF results are coming out now in 2-3 weeks and they want that to be the standard. They need to automate this one last portion of the production line. The new swab has a sponge on the end. There is a black line that is a mark. You stick the swab into the bottle to the black line and then break it off.

Afshar
11-14-2016, 01:25 PM
Here are some of the things that I liked from the blog report of Sunday -

Looking ahead, Big Y feature updates are coming. Doron has talked today about the ability to take BAM files and create trees. That is powerful but it’s just one of the features needed. Another feature that has been fully developed and will be coming soon is the Big Y Browser. This allows us to see depth, confidence score, and investigate why they called or did not call something.

Population finder will have more populations. It will be focusing on deeper Europe, South Native American (Peru, Brazil etc.) and Mideast populations.

For mtDNA, build 17 has been released and build 18 is coming. They are currently on build 14. Right now heteroplasmies are poorly taken into account and there will be a revised matching taking into account the heteroplasmies. This is coming soon. Elliott does not know if it will be the beginning or middle of Q1.

As far as transfers, 23andMe v3 and Ancestry v2 will be coming very soon. The code behind the comparisons is complete. They are having a problem making it display and it’s being programmed now. It’s not a big problem and they expect it out in the next 3-5 weeks.

When will there be SNP matching feature for SNP packs for terminal or near terminal SNPs? There is a feature in Big Y for matching and it’s getting an update quite soon. It will go from around 35,000 SNPs to around 130,000 or 140,000 SNPs. They don’t know how they will incorporate SNP pack customers into that.

In the haplotree I’d like to see breadcrumb nodes when I go to the path Elliott said that would not be terribly hard and it’s a good idea.

Bennett said he had a demonstration to do. He has been asked by the lab folks to change how swabs are done. They are making a change to the swab because of productivity. They are limited with the current extraction modality. They have a limitation of about 1,000 samples a day so they can end up with backlogs. Bennett does not like backlogs. FF results are coming out now in 2-3 weeks and they want that to be the standard. They need to automate this one last portion of the production line. The new swab has a sponge on the end. There is a black line that is a mark. You stick the swab into the bottle to the black line and then break it off.

Sounds fancy but font think it is going to happen so soon.

ArmandoR1b
11-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Sounds fancy but dont think it is going to happen so soon.
Maybe not but at least they have plans to improve their site for the customers using the products that they have already purchased. 23andme has not stated that they have plans to improve their site or upgrade the Y-DNA or mtDNA tests. They haven't even stated that they have any interest in abandoning the 2009/2010 longhand Y-DNA names. AncestryDNA doesn't even report Y-DNA results and mtDNA is not tested by AncestryDNA.

Their sale prices are pretty good right now too. Family Finder is only $10 more than the cost of a transfer from AncestryDNA v1 or 23andme v3. BigY is on sale and with a coupon it is even cheaper.

jortita
11-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Anything you caught on the updated My Origins?

ArmandoR1b
11-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Anything you caught on the updated My Origins?

For some reason they mistakenly use the name Population Finder instead of myOrigins in that blog. Since the conference had a lot of admins they should have all caught up with and had the name myOrigins memorized as the name of the FTDNA admixture calculator. I don't know if Jennifer is an admin or not though. Below are the two times that Population Finder was mentioned instead of myOrigins which was never mentioned in that blog. I didn't go so what I have posted is from the blog.

On population finder, why not expand Africa? The goal is to expand everywhere but they start with where more customers come from. They would love to expand to Africa and Polynesia but the questions of most of the customers from those areas are currently being answered.

evon
11-14-2016, 04:05 PM
For some reason they mistakenly use the name Population Finder instead of myOrigins in that blog. Since the conference had a lot of admins they should have all caught up with and had the name myOrigins memorized as the name of the FTDNA admixture calculator. I don't know if Jennifer is an admin or not though. Below are the two times that Population Finder was mentioned instead of myOrigins which was never mentioned in that blog. I didn't go so what I have posted is from the blog.

On population finder, why not expand Africa? The goal is to expand everywhere but they start with where more customers come from. They would love to expand to Africa and Polynesia but the questions of most of the customers from those areas are currently being answered.

Seems they might go back to using Population Finder again, it was after all the name of the first admixture calculator they used before Myorigins..

ArmandoR1b
11-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Seems they might go back to using Population Finder again, it was after all the name of the first admixture calculator they used before Myorigins..
Yes, I knew it was the original name of the calculator and that Doug McDonald had created it and myOrigins was created by Razib Kahn. I was around for both versions. I'm hoping the name does not revert. Some people still refer to the old Population Finder as a comparison to myOrigins and other tests. We don't need the confusion of trying to figure out which Population Finder they are talking about.

vettor
11-14-2016, 06:11 PM
IMO, pop finder was more precise ........while myorigins is not

and

Ftdna pop finder matches my natgeno v 2.0

kingjohn
11-14-2016, 06:39 PM
go to slide 22 and on explanation of the new clusters can't wait :)
http://www.slideshare.net/FamilyTreeDNA/autosomes-agamemnons-face
regards
Adam

ADW_1981
11-14-2016, 06:53 PM
On Razib's slides, there was a Krasnodar sample 6"11? Is this new? I don't recall hearing about this before.

ArmandoR1b
11-14-2016, 06:54 PM
IMO, pop finder was more precise ........while myorigins is not
They both suck for me, my family, my relatives, and my matches. 23andme is much better.

and

Ftdna pop finder matches my natgeno v 2.0
Will you post screenshots of both of those?

ArmandoR1b
11-14-2016, 06:58 PM
go to slide 22 and on explanation of the new clusters can't wait :)
http://www.slideshare.net/FamilyTreeDNA/autosomes-agamemnons-face
regards
Adam

On Razib's slides, there was a Krasnodar sample 6"11? Is this new? I don't recall hearing about this before.

That slide show is from last year's 2015 11th annual conference https://dna-explained.com/2015/11/18/2015-family-tree-dna-11th-international-conference-the-best-yet/

This year is 2016 and it was the 12th annual conference. We fell back an hour with the time change and not a year. :)

kingjohn
11-14-2016, 07:30 PM
for me it is new information
now i know that he used southern italian as refrence for the italian cluster
such a mistake ....:(
regards
Adam

ArmandoR1b
11-14-2016, 08:09 PM
for me it is new information
now i know that he used southern italian as refrence for the italian cluster
such a mistake ....:(
regards
AdamThe reference populations for myOrigins have been available since May 8, 2014 - https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/user-guide/family-finder-myftdna/myorigins-methodology/

Population N Population N
Armenian 46 Lithuanian 6
Ashkenazi 60 Masai 140
British 39 Mbuti 15
Burmese 8 Moroccan 7
Cambodian 26 Mozabite 24
Danish 13 Norwegian 17
Filipino 20 Pashtun 33
Finnish 49 Polish 35
French 17 Portuguese 25
German 17 Russian 41
Gujarati 31 Saudi 19
Iraqi 12 Scottish 43
Irish 45 Slovakian 12
Italian 30 Spanish 124
Japanese 147 Surui 21
Karitiana 23 Swedish 33
Korean 15 Ukrainian 10
Kuwaiti 14 Yoruba 136

30 Italian and 124 Spanish samples were used for Southern European. There was never an Italian cluster only a Southern European cluster. The cluster names are at https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/ftdna/introducing-new-population-cluster-names-myorigins/

edit: I see now what you mean about the Italian cluster that is on slide 26. That cluster was never used in myOrigins. It was supposed to have been used earlier this year but never was. He states that the Italian cluster is biased towards the South Italian samples not that he used the southern Italians for the cluster. One is different than the other.

Oleg (Rus)
11-14-2016, 09:15 PM
So, does anybody know, are they actually planning to update myOrigins, or it was a false alarm?

Generalissimo
11-14-2016, 09:41 PM
So, does anybody know, are they actually planning to update myOrigins, or it was a false alarm?

They now have Ancient Origins, and it looks poor. So maybe that was the update?

Oleg (Rus)
11-14-2016, 09:49 PM
It sounds funny, but I want to cry!:biggrin1: I think I'll have to order Living DNA or something else to know anything useful about my ancestry, FTDNA's sample size is just tiny (as in the case of most Gedmatch calculators)...

evon
11-14-2016, 11:09 PM

Of course there is a new Myorigins coming up (they have already told us about some of the new clusters they will use), that was never in doubt.. Ancient Origins is unrelated to the coming Myorigins update..

Oleg (Rus)
11-14-2016, 11:13 PM
Ok, I hope so. I've just noticed that the presentation with new clusters above is dated 2015, so I asked about it.

evon
11-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Ok, I hope so. I've just noticed that the presentation with new clusters above is dated 2015, so I asked about it.

I spoke with FTDNA just a few weeks ago, and they said they did not know when it would be released. But these types of delays are common among DNA testing companies..Just look at 23andme, they have taken more than a year to update the software platform, which they initially said would take a few months.. The original release date for Myorigins was set at March 2016, then Summer 2016. maybe March 2017 is the magic "number"..

ArmandoR1b
11-15-2016, 01:43 PM

It took me a while to figure out where he got that info from since it wasn't the Mathieson et al. paper. It was from this site where he posted a comment - http://sarkoboros.net/2014/10/the-basketball-hypothesis-of-indo-europeanization/