PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Season Need Helping Choosing the Right Test

TJRocks760
11-22-2016, 05:29 AM
Hi everyone,

The holiday season is around the corner and I'm ready to do one more test. In the past I ran an Ancestry atDNA test and now I want to do the Y-Test next.

However, I've decided to forgo my own Y-DNA test for now and I've decided instead to do my grandfather's Y-Chromosome test using my uncle's DNA.

The reason being is that I don't have access to my uncle at all times where as I have access to myself at all times. I could essentially order a Y-test for myself if I decided the day after I ordered my uncle's. For this reason I've decided to use my uncle as soon as I can. I don't see my family that often and the last time I saw my uncle was almost 3 years ago. He's agreed to it.

Can you guys help guide me in this process? I want to know what I would do after we got the test results?

For example, when I got my AncestryDNA test I by sheer luck found out about GEDMatch.

Thanks,
TJ

rivergirl
11-22-2016, 05:53 AM
I would join a surname project if one is available for your uncles surname.
A suitable Geographical or Regional Project, and when you have the yDNA results join a Haplogroup Project.

The Admins of each project should be able to assist you in interpreting the results and advising if any advance or SNP testing would help.

TJRocks760
11-22-2016, 06:20 AM
Thank you rivergirl that is quality advice.

I really don't know a whole lot about my dad's side of the family but I know plenty in terms of ethnicity from my mom's side of the family. This is another reason why I feel more comfortable going through my mom's brother to get maternal grandfather y-dna test first.

Since I already have my autosomal DNA test I want to get the best bang for the buck. I want to make sure I'm covering all areas in one swoop mainly because I don't want to end up making a mistake and buying the wrong test and wasting money.

Am I approaching this in the right way?

TJRocks760
11-22-2016, 06:21 AM
I would join a surname project if one is available for your uncles surname.
A suitable Geographical or Regional Project, and when you have the yDNA results join a Haplogroup Project.

The Admins of each project should be able to assist you in interpreting the results and advising if any advance or SNP testing would help.

Thank you rivergirl that is quality advice.

I really don't know a whole lot about my dad's side of the family but I know plenty in terms of ethnicity from my mom's side of the family. This is another reason why I feel more comfortable going through my mom's brother to get maternal grandfather y-dna test first.

Since I already have my autosomal DNA test I want to get the best bang for the buck. I want to make sure I'm covering all areas in one swoop mainly because I don't want to end up making a mistake and buying the wrong test and wasting money.

Am I approaching this in the right way?