PDA

View Full Version : Finney Connection

rms2
11-29-2016, 10:26 PM
Mary Frances Stevens, my first cousin once removed (my dad's first cousin), the daughter of my grandfather's brother, Miles Gordon Stevens, married William Bradburn Finney. Together they had five kids, all of whom may be living, so I won't post their names.

Anyway, I recently got a pretty close match on Family Finder with a man whose surname is Finney: 160 cMs, the longest block of which is 38. He is predicted to be a 2nd-3rd cousin. His first name is not one of those among the list of the children of Mary Frances and William, so I think he is probably one of their children. That would make him my 2nd cousin once removed, if correct. Our most recent common ancestor would be my y-dna line great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens Jr. (born 1862).

I just emailed the man a few minutes ago, so I have not confirmed the relationship, but I'm pretty sure it's right.

rms2
11-30-2016, 11:35 PM
I heard from the man. We are second cousins once removed. My great grandfather is his second great grandfather. He is the grandson of my dad's cousin.

dp
12-01-2016, 08:34 PM
The other night I was reading one of your posts about the success you've had in connecting to Stevens relatives and decided to renew my membership. I had wondered why there wasn't a Charles Powell DNA circle on Ancestry. Ends up a tested cousin's tree only went up to my ggg-grandfather's brother, and not our common ancestor Charles Powell b: 1758. Yesterday I asked them to revise their tree up a notch :-) Also, on another line I got an answer from a 2nd cousin of my dad, who must have been tested within the last 6 months.
dp.

rms2
12-02-2016, 12:00 PM
The other night I was reading one of your posts about the success you've had in connecting to Stevens relatives and decided to renew my membership. I had wondered why there wasn't a Charles Powell DNA circle on Ancestry. Ends up a tested cousin's tree only went up to my ggg-grandfather's brother, and not our common ancestor Charles Powell b: 1758. Yesterday I asked them to revise their tree up a notch :-) Also, on another line I got an answer from a 2nd cousin of my dad, who must have been tested within the last 6 months.
dp.

Cool! Of course, this Finney match came on FTDNA's Family Finder, but I seem to get more results on Ancestry, so to me it is definitely worth it to keep my membership active.