PDA

View Full Version : Huguenot endogamy?

AJL
05-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone with partial Huguenot ancestry has noticed a tendency for matches to come disproportionally from this background?

Specifically, after noting a number of matches with the names Mullins/Moline/Mullen/Molyneux as well as Calver/Calvert/Calvet/Calvit, Foucher/Fouquet/Fuqua, and Boyer/Beyer, I am wondering if absolutely all these links come from my known Huguenot ancestry back in the 17th century (Vassal).

Some Huguenot ancestry in Ireland before 1800 is hard to rule out but I suspect a Huguenot haploblock project could be interesting.

History-of-Things
05-17-2013, 01:04 PM
I can't say my Huguenot results turn up with greater than expected frequency. They do appear for certain, which is more than some lines I would like to have shown up do. Ramey, Sallee, LeMaster (possibly Huguenot), and Sublett lines all do appear in my DNA matches. Then again, for numbers of matches, they have to keep up with my Kentucky hills and Quaker ancestry--both of which counter to popular belief did not involve consanguinity but rather involves the fact that there were only so many families in given locations or affiliations so that many of us are descended from different combinations of the same families, as it were. Such situations take the fun out of establishing degree of cousin relationships, if you ask me, because you end up with a fifth cousin on one line, an eighth cousin on another, so then what really is the relationship? I still diligently send out every single invitation on 23andme, but it begins to drive me crazy, especially since very few people realize what it takes to track down a relationship.

AJL
05-17-2013, 03:16 PM
Thanks. I do have some dead ends in the Colonies that I suspect could tie into further Huguenot lines, and a Sheridan ancestor who was probably from the same Sheridans who were heavily intermarried with Irish Huguenots (Le Fanu). Sometimes it's hard to know what to take as a clue, and what not.

Good point about the difficulties tracing the true relationship down. I am now at the point where I can be pretty confident of a few matches but usually only because of overlap with known relatives.

J Man
05-17-2013, 06:05 PM
That is quite interesting AJL. I am pretty sure that I have some distant Huguenot ancestry myself coming from my maternal grandmother's North Irish family. Her mother's maiden name was Oliver which is thought to have originally been Olivier and came to Ireland/Britain as Huguenots to work in the linen industry.

AJL
05-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Interesting! I wonder if you are related to the actor Sir Laurence (later Baron) Olivier? If you get to Dublin you may want to check these out:

http://www.huguenotsinireland.com/huguenotarchive.html

http://www.dochara.com/the-irish/surnames/hueguenot-palatine-names-in-ireland/

J Man
05-17-2013, 09:06 PM
^Hard to say maybe!

ADW_1981
05-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone with partial Huguenot ancestry has noticed a tendency for matches to come disproportionally from this background?

Specifically, after noting a number of matches with the names Mullins/Moline/Mullen/Molyneux as well as Calver/Calvert/Calvet/Calvit, Foucher/Fouquet/Fuqua, and Boyer/Beyer, I am wondering if absolutely all these links come from my known Huguenot ancestry back in the 17th century (Vassal).

Some Huguenot ancestry in Ireland before 1800 is hard to rule out but I suspect a Huguenot haploblock project could be interesting.

Unfortunately I have not made any Huguenot connections with French surnames despite having documentation on this. There is a large segment with a "Batchelor" (Bachellier) surname, but whether this individual's surname is derived from my Huguenot ancestor I don't know. I do have several large (0.15+) Spanish connections, but no French on my father's side.

Baltimore1937
05-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Hi all,

I've seen "Molyneaux" in SC/NC. A couple of times I thought that was my direct maternal line. But I erased it when I got on another track.

AJL
05-23-2013, 03:31 PM
I've seen "Molyneaux" in SC/NC. A couple of times I thought that was my direct maternal line. But I erased it when I got on another track.

Thanks -- indeed, my mother and I have a whole slate of matches from the South that might come from old Huguenot connections, or possibly Scots or Irish ones, or some combination of these. A few also have Welsh names so I can't rule that out.

Baltimore1937
05-24-2013, 01:21 AM
Regarding Molyeux/Mullenax, I had a little tree I made at Ancestry (which I had forgotten about) that shows my earliest known female ancestress (b.1760 or so) as having a daddy named Wiliam Mullenax. Well, that has since (I think) been shown to be wrong. However, said William Mullenax (he really existed) was born about 1730 in Goochland County, Virginia. His dad, John Mullenax (abt 1700 Dublin, Ire - 1745, Manakintown, Goochland, VA) arrived in Virginia in 1721. My little tree went back to (John's dad) Robert Sr. Molyneux b.1640 - d.abt 1700 in Ireland (born and died in Ireland). Dates and places as per other peoples' entries at Ancestry.

Although I deleted my maternal ancestress from that tree, there are several parallel names and dates to my tree. So I think I'll keep that tree there for a while.