PDA

View Full Version : Myheritage, whats the latest?

Judith
12-05-2016, 05:23 PM
I received this email today. "Hi Judith,

We're happy to announce the launch of MyHeritage DNA, our new global genetic testing service, fully integrated into MyHeritage. This is big news: we now offer a simple, very affordable and easy-to-use DNA home testing kit that can reveal valuable family history information and tell you more about your origins.

MyHeritage DNA is currently offered for a limited time at the introductory discounted price of only $79 + shipping, so hurry up and order your kit now at this low price.

The MyHeritage DNA test takes less than a minute to do, with a simple cheek swab. Mail the sample to our lab for analysis, and you'll be invited to view your results on MyHeritage one month later. All DNA data is kept private and secure and is never shown to or shared with anyone without your permission. See a cool video showing how our lab processes your DNA sample.

MyHeritage DNA gives you two excellent features: DNA Matching for finding relatives, including those you never knew you had, and detailed Ethnicity Estimates that map your ethnic and geographic origins.

Our DNA kits have had a great reception and tens of thousands have been ordered in the first few weeks since the launch. DNA Matches are available with other users of MyHeritage and users of other DNA testing services who have uploaded their DNA data to MyHeritage. If you have already tested your DNA elsewhere, you don't need to buy our test —" etc etc etc

OK so what is the story? 23&me are using Myheritage for their family trees now. Is this wonder 'launch' just new to the UK? Does Myheritage add anything at all? Ethinicity and origins are a joke with all the companies and anyone who is keen at all uploads to GEDmatch for relative finding. Are 23&me splitting their offering for medical and family history?

You guys on this forum will know much more than me! Please tell.

A Norfolk L-M20
12-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Last I heard Judith, 23andMe had ceased to use MyHeritage for online trees.

vettor
12-06-2016, 05:16 AM
Last I heard Judith, 23andMe had ceased to use MyHeritage for online trees.

23andme have stopped using them and also removed any trace of them

1/2finn
12-06-2016, 04:57 PM
I posted on another thread here about my experience with Myheritage. I transferred my dna results from FTDNA to them and initially had hundreds of matches. Myheritage then went out of beta and my matches dropped to 14. A month and a half later I now only have 13 matches. This has happened to many other people. Stick with the big 3 testing companies. You can always transfer your results over to Myheritage (unless they withdraw their free transfer offer). I would have been really p***d if I had paid money for what I ended up with. Strange I only have 13 matches with them, but over 1000 with each FTDNA and Ancestry.

Oleg (Rus)
12-06-2016, 05:10 PM
I posted on another thread here about my experience with Myheritage. I transferred my dna results from FTDNA to them and initially had hundreds of matches. Myheritage then went out of beta and my matches dropped to 14. A month and a half later I now only have 13 matches. This has happened to many other people. Stick with the big 3 testing companies. You can always transfer your results over to Myheritage (unless they withdraw their free transfer offer). I would have been really p***d if I had paid money for what I ended up with. Strange I only have 13 matches with them, but over 1000 with each FTDNA and Ancestry.

I recently uploaded my Family Finder data there and have got only 2 matches, but I don't think it's something bad or unusual. They just want to earn money from DNA-testing and it doesn't mean that the quality of their test will be worse than in other companies. Maybe they will allow "paid" transfers for users to view their full list of matches and ethnicity estimate.

Judith
12-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your inputs. It looks like they have very few test results and the free transfer is so people get more than 10 matches!
I had no intent of purchasing from them, yet another small company with no database to speak of has no value to me. But since they have no data base of any significance for comparison they do not offer much to any one else either?
I do not need 1000 matches 100 good ones would be better!

Amerijoe
12-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Initial transfer produced 450 matches, now whittled down to 45. Most from U.S., which offers little to no value in my directed search.

vettor
12-06-2016, 06:21 PM
I initially had over 1000 matches in Beta and now I have 6
2 of the 6 are confirmed in my tree

I am in the process of chatting with another person as of yesterday....................so it seems more accurate

Better than wasting my time in looking through 1000 "beta matches"