PDA

View Full Version : In a land of thundering reindeer, suicide stalks the indigenous Sami

Amerijoe
12-09-2016, 01:16 PM
I remember people strapping themselves to trees to protect the spotted owl, but when it comes to our own kind, not a peep. Very sad!

https://www.statnews.com/2016/12/09/suicide-sweden-sami-mental-health/

JohnHowellsTyrfro
12-09-2016, 06:00 PM
It is sad, both for the individuals concerned and that a way of life that has lasted maybe thousands of years may be disappearing.
I suppose we have seen similar problems elsewhere, perhaps not related to climate change, but still the loss of a way of life. We have seen it here in Wales with the loss of traditional industries like steel making and coal mining (young men in particular) and even farming where people have had to give up their farms after generations or just can't stand the pressures any more. John

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiKpemj1-fQAhXKDcAKHQ4pBsIQFgghMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fwi.co.uk%2Ffarm-life%2Fsuicide-investigating-a-farming-taboo.htm&usg=AFQjCNEDnu6oBOrn4UfnDgFnrKK17uJLrA&sig2=WsuOHyEaeLndHys8nKK30Q

evon
12-09-2016, 07:52 PM
It has been like that for a very long time among Saami peoples in Norway. I guess it is a bi-product of not industrializing along with the rest of society (I wonder if Saami groups who practice finishing etc have the same social problems, such as Skolte Saami), but they also seem to be genetically predisposed to develop depression and anxiety. The assimilated Saami I know dont have the same problems, they are just like other Norwegians..It is worth noting that all Nordic peoples have much higher rates of depression etc than most other Europeans peoples last I checked, which I guess stem from the same genetic predisposition that the Saami have (Except Danes I think, they seem to be genetically predisposed to be happy). I have South Saami ancestry from my fathers side...not many of them left as a distinct ethnic group, around 2000 I think..

JohnHowellsTyrfro
12-09-2016, 11:05 PM
It has been like that for a very long time among Saami peoples in Norway. I guess it is a bi-product of not industrializing along with the rest of society (I wonder if Saami groups who practice finishing etc have the same social problems, such as Skolte Saami), but they also seem to be genetically predisposed to develop depression and anxiety. The assimilated Saami I know dont have the same problems, they are just like other Norwegians..It is worth noting that all Nordic peoples have much higher rates of depression etc than most other Europeans peoples last I checked, which I guess stem from the same genetic predisposition that the Saami have (Except Danes I think, they seem to be genetically predisposed to be happy). I have South Saami ancestry from my fathers side...not many of them left as a distinct ethnic group, around 2000 I think..

Wasn't there a theory that it may be partly related to the amount of daylight or lack of it? John

evon
12-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Wasn't there a theory that it may be partly related to the amount of daylight or lack of it? John

There are probably many reasons (If it was only the lack of sunlight you would see the same in other Nordic groups, as they live side by side and many Saami groups live below the Arctic circle, South Saami etc), but the break down of the "traditional" way of life is likely a big part of it..although the various Saami groups has seen massive changes since the middle ages onwards (influx of people from Sibera who brought with them reindeer herding, influence by Norse culture and later Christianity etc) , I think the 1900's was the most decisive century in therms of change, especially industrialization which happened in Norway around 1920-30's.