PDA

View Full Version : Google warning

Joe B
12-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Google is posting a warning when searching for Anthrogenica.

"This site may be hacked" message
You'll see the message "This site may be hacked" when we believe a hacker might have changed some of the existing pages on the site or added new spam pages. If you visit the site, you could be redirected to spam or malware.

Some search pages are redirected to a myfilestore.com download page.

Please advise as soon as possible. Otherwise, Anthrogenica and could be toast.

Scarlet Ibis
12-13-2016, 10:31 PM
It is being worked on now

Joe B
12-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Thanks Scarlet Ibis. Please feel free to delete this thread when fixed. We want people to visit Anthrogenica.

Scarlet Ibis
12-14-2016, 12:15 AM
Please let me know if the problem happens again, and please let me know which page redirected you

Joe B
12-14-2016, 03:25 AM
Still have the Google warning. Home page seems to be OK. Activity stream link from Google is the number one culprit. It's also happening on Google searches when Anthrogenica is one of the results.

Scarlet Ibis
12-14-2016, 04:47 AM
Still have the Google warning. Home page seems to be OK. Activity stream link from Google is the number one culprit. It's also happening on Google searches when Anthrogenica is one of the results.

Ok, I see now. It's a problem with redirects coming from Google. Working on it

Scarlet Ibis
12-14-2016, 11:58 PM
To all who have gotten redirected from Google: please clear your browser cache, and tell us if it happens again. Thanks

Joe B
12-15-2016, 02:14 AM
Still have the redirection from Google. Tried Firefox and Edge. Cleared cache, two different machines, same problem.

DMXX
12-19-2016, 07:07 PM
Quick update to the community regarding the above issue.

It appears that a very common exploit (https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-3-8/vbulletin-3-8-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/409497-my-website-is-redirected-to-myfilestore-com) has made its' way into the forum. Said exploit appears to only affect referrals from Google.

We are now consulting with a reputable Internet security firm to iron out the issue and investigate how the exploit reached Anthrogenica. We have used the remainder of the member contributions from Q3 2016 to enlist their services for one calendar year, which includes multiple-daily reviews by their team. We will also undertake a review of our forum plugins and update our version of vB. Finally, as suggested privately by one of our regulars, we'll be enabling https:// quite soon.

This exploit appears to be little more than an annoyance and only compromises Anthrogenica's accessibility from Google. As such, regular members won't notice any changes in their forum experience if they browse the site via the index page.

Will continue to update everyone as things come; the administration are checking the matter on a daily basis. Thanks all!

miiser
01-07-2017, 02:35 AM
Haven't heard any updates on this issue, but just want to make sure, in case you're not aware, I'm still receiving the redirect from Google search results as of this afternoon.

ntk
01-14-2017, 03:03 AM

ntk
01-14-2017, 03:04 AM
This is still happening to me, all the time. In fact, more often than not. Something is seriously wrong here.

JMcB
01-14-2017, 03:23 AM
Yes, it still happening to me when I Google something that leads me to an anthrogenica post.

spruithean
01-16-2017, 06:48 PM
I have noticed this recently too. So far I haven't been redirected to any other pages.

DMXX
02-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Update and good news - I have just performed some magic and the redirects from Google should now be fixed.

Members are very welcome to check this themselves by clearing their cache (or opening Chrome in Incognito mode), searching for our forum in Google, and clicking any link. Just did it myself; not a single redirect after opening 20+ links (including the Activity Stream).

I'm in the process of finding the exploit in the code, eliminating it, and preventing future recurrences. I have outlined the necessary steps earlier for the interested. (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9309-Google-warning&p=203886&viewfull=1#post203886) We have already implemented some steps along those lines.

Will keep the community informed as we move forwards. I thank everyone for keeping us in the loop regarding this annoyance.

Joe B
02-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Thanks DMXX for not letting go of this issue. I checked Google and it looks pretty good, except for the warning which should go away after awhile. Bing had recently started to redirect and now it seems to be working just fine.

DMXX
02-06-2017, 04:47 PM
We'll be contacting Google and informing them that we're clear once I've eliminated the exploit code, so that will come in due course.

Mis
02-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Norton suggests. The attack is the server USA

Joe B
02-11-2017, 06:37 PM
We'll be contacting Google and informing them that we're clear once I've eliminated the exploit code, so that will come in due course.The "This site may be hacked" message from Google has been removed. Good job!

curiousII
04-18-2017, 05:54 PM
The "This site may be hacked" message from Google has been removed. Good job!I still get it, and I found this thread by Googling "Is Anthrogenica hacked?"

I used a card to get to Gold Member, and as far as I can tell I haven't had any problems. Need to double-check that, though, but that's the only personal information that I enter here except my entirely cool genetics which anyone can hack if they want to because they'll just get depressed because my chromosomes are much cooler than theirs. But I use a "unique password" for this site which Google recommends that is unrepeated at any other site I surf to with my 'way cool chromosomes, so it hasn't been a problem with me.

But why anyone would want to hack a site like this is a poser, isn't it? What kind of damage could a hack do here, alter someone's y-DNA or something? Oh, wait, FTDNA's myOrigins 2.0! Oh no!

vettor
04-18-2017, 06:22 PM
I still get the warning 100% if entering this site via a google link

I do not use Google chrome , but the "older/original" google

DMXX
04-19-2017, 05:43 PM
I've checked the site from Google after clearing out my cache to ensure that isn't affecting my search results and going in Incognito mode. Also searched from a second device.

I'm getting neither the "This Site May Be Hacked" message, nor the redirects.

For those noticing either of the above, please clear out your cache and try again.