PDA

View Full Version : rs6311 (Serotonin)

Asparuk
12-14-2016, 05:45 AM
TT is associated with depression, panic disorder, and a higher stress response.
The T allele was associated with a reduction in general health, vitality, and social
function (p=0.0031-0.040) (R).

The T allele is associated with IBS (R) and CFS (R).

The C allele is associated with an extraverted personality, rheumatoid Arthritis and novelty seeking.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2wd3g3n.png

https://selfhacked.com/2016/02/12/5ht2a-receptors-a-root-cause-of-anxiety-fatigue-sleep-problems-and-cirs/

Can you guys & gals post your alleles & report if there is any family history of psych problems? TT here, I had apathy and mild depression but it's being successfully treated with psilocybin mushrooms. :)

firemonkey
12-14-2016, 06:07 AM
I am CC. I have long term psychiatric problems including depression,general and social anxiety, mood swings and paranoia. I have always been introverted and shy. I don't respond well to stress and tend to experience a decline in cognitive functioning when stressed.

kingjohn
12-14-2016, 12:14 PM
I am CC. I have long term psychiatric problems including depression,general and social anxiety, mood swings and paranoia. I have always been introverted and shy. I don't respond well to stress and tend to experience a decline in cognitive functioning when stressed.
me also ..... :\
best regarards
adam

p.s
i checked my now in ftdna raw data
TC

Little bit
12-14-2016, 03:09 PM
In my group:

3 TT - 2 with anxiety disorders including panic attacks, history of debilitating depression. The third one is more resilient but is very religious, which I think is a form of self-medicating for his anxiety and depression.

4 CT - All have anxiety issues with periods of depression, not debilitating, and in my case, panic attacks.

1 CC - Is anxious but is also known as being an extreme magical thinker, which she uses to distance herself from her problems and scary emotions.

AJL
12-14-2016, 04:26 PM
All CTs in my group.

I had a brief bit of environmental depression a long time ago after a sudden death in the family, but no lingering issues. Medium-extroverted and don't have rheumatoid arthritis (which my maternal great-grandmother had), IBS, or CFS. I'd put myself somewhere between conservative and novelty-seeking.

My grandfather was CT and had periods of deep depression despite being highly extroverted; he also had tendencies to OCD.

Amerijoe
12-14-2016, 05:11 PM
https://selfhacked.com/2016/02/12/5ht2a-receptors-a-root-cause-of-anxiety-fatigue-sleep-problems-and-cirs/

Can you guys & gals post your alleles & report if there is any family history of psych problems? TT here, I had apathy and mild depression but it's being successfully treated with psilocybin mushrooms. :)

Why do you want to know? Why bring my family into it? Is there something you know about them? What's with the mushrooms? You trying for mind control? I noticed you lurking, are you following me? PAUSE!

Forgot my Meds, feel better now. You guys got issues. I'm out of here. Doc says keep projecting the image of stability. I'm not crazy, I'm not crazy. :wacko:

Oh ye, C/T

rms2
12-15-2016, 01:16 AM
TC for me. Both my dad and mom have TC, as well.

Pretty happy generally. We all have our down days though.

Il PapÓ
12-15-2016, 06:44 PM
TT here, :confused: Mother is debilitating depressive but CT. Me, well I can feel depressed from time to time but never to the state where I stay in bed for days.

rms2
12-18-2016, 01:26 AM
I think I must be doing pretty good on Serotonin with my TC, because most of the time I feel pretty damn good, and that despite some crap in my life that would curl your hair.

Or is it alcohol? ;)

Il PapÓ
12-18-2016, 12:18 PM
I think I must be doing pretty good on Serotonin with my TC, because most of the time I feel pretty damn good, and that despite some crap in my life that would curl your hair.

Or is it alcohol? ;)

I think the best antidepressant medication in your case is a new paper about ancient dna haha.

evon
12-18-2016, 12:30 PM
We are CC and CT, both sides of the family are plagued with various conditions, some which span several generations (Have been wondering if some of these conditions can be explained by epigenetics? As I know there was a lot of trauma on my mothers side going back centuries).

Amerijoe
12-18-2016, 01:05 PM

Or is it alcohol? ;)

Alcohol, alcohol, I hear your call. With endless promises and much good cheer, you at my side, I have no fear. I looked around and no one was near. No friends nor family, only you my dear. Alcohol Alcohol what have you done. You were at one time, so much fun. As I slide into oblivion, you stay at my side, whispering promises, destroying my pride.

rms2
12-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Alcohol, alcohol, I hear your call. With endless promises and much good cheer, you at my side, I have no fear. I looked around and no one was near. No friends nor family, only you my dear. Alcohol Alcohol what have you done. You were at one time, so much fun. As I slide into oblivion, you stay at my side, whispering promises, destroying my pride.

You're a poet, and you didn't know it.
Just look at your feet:
They're long fellows. ;)

Amerijoe
12-18-2016, 03:22 PM
You're a poet, and you didn't know it.
Just look at your feet:
They're long fellows. ;)

As I gaze down to see why I trip, I noticed I forgot to zip! Thank you my friend. ;) Joe

P.S. They are long fellows. Long gene had a lousy aim.

Abd.H
12-18-2016, 07:48 PM
I am CC
I feel that I have a relatively high level of depression and anxiety sometimes

leonardo
12-18-2016, 08:54 PM
I am CC. Extroverted personality? Mostly. Rheumatoid Arthritis? Yes. Novelty seeking? Not at all.

Bollox79
12-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Hmm this makes a lot of sense, but I also don't believe one or two genes (hence this one for serotonin or the so called warrior gene etc) equal certain types of behavior. So much more research needs to be done on the interaction between genes and also some studies done on people of a certain type of gene expression taking into their experiences throughout their lives. If you have grown up in a rough neighborhood and fighting is accepted and quite normal for instance... you are going to probably be a bit different from someone who grew up in a fairly balanced household... though I do believe genetics can affect this via expression and epigenetics - we are just scratching the surface IMHO... and also from what I've gathered from my personal doctor who has been treating me for a lone time and we chat about studies on genetics and the brain and behavioral stuff. I used to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out... but I have since decided (I'm 37) that life is life... and if you have to fight a bit more than others (because of either personal choices and/or life just kicking your ass) then that is life and get one with it. I have just one boundary... don't mess with my family or lay your hands on me ;-). Just a personal philosophy I have... but I'm also one of the politest people you will meet also.

For me... I checked my autosomal from FTDNA and I am TT... and not surprised lol! On both sides we have alcoholism and violence and depression. My Grandfather on my Mom's side (mostly Gaelic Irish plus Scots Highlander from Ontario) had to stop drinking whiskey because he saw red and became violent... and he was dangerous as he survived fighting behind enemy lines versus both the Germans and Japanese in WWII. Long story there. His brother won the Bronze Star for bravery at the Siege of Anzio and the Silver Star when 6th Corps was surrounded one three sides (part of Patton's army) by the last major German counter attack called Operation Nord Wind/Northwind (if memory serves me correctly).

My father's side are introverts (who many also served in the Civil War etc... Scots-Irish and Baltic German/Russian mix from PA) who prefer to do hard work (I'm a 5th generation furniture mover) and not talk to anyone lol... until they get to know them. I recently found out that one of my Great x2 Grandfather's brothers was in the 12th PA Cavalry in the Civil War from 1864 to the end... then joined the US 6th Cavalry as a saddler (Corporal) and achieved 1st Sergeant rank out west with the 6th... served until his death in his 50s in that unit.

At the end of the day... we can find behaviors are more common per certain kinds of gene expression... but life is also variable. I think I'll donate my brain to science... because I have been told through treatment that I have severe impulse control problems... when I drink it's like playing Russian roulette with 5 out of 6 chambers loaded... and am prone to fist fighting and "seeing red" when people get in my space and try to get physical. Just the other day an idiot at the warehouse I work at started something with me... and when I tried to talk to him he started cutting on a box with a razor blade knife in my direction... so I restrained his arm and made sure he knew I wasn't messing around. I honestly believe some behavior is leftover from what your ancestor's went through... and if enough of them went through it... traits develop or the tendency to be more "likely" to show that type of behavior and some behavior, while evolutionary advantageous to some ancestors (fighting/anger etc) it is no longer advantageous in our society... for the most part (unless you have worked with people from criminal backgrounds - very rough backgrounds like "shooting you in the leg and taking your money" types... they are more comfortable with violence, for example. Worked with a lot of those guys in the furniture business (no one else will hire them!).

Also keep in mind head trauma can affect your behavior... I have had a lot of it... punches, kicks, headbutts and self inflicted stuff. Frontal lobes help control behavior.

All in all life is life... and you have to accept who you are, even if you are very different and be ok with it. Find out what you like to do and what you are good at... and get 'er done... and if people are negative or give you a hard time all the time... move on and keep the positive ones... and don't use genetics and stuff as an excuse (i.e. I destroyed that table because I drank too much and am pissed off all the time - but I can't help it it's my genetics)... some people have different impulses than others... but the important part is you learn to control them, learn what situations are just not good to be in for you... and do your recon and be ready to fight, but don't look for it.

Ok lecture over lol... remember it's all IMHO.

Cheers!

P.S. shock treatments on both sides... and I take a shit ton of prozac... hahaha... mellows me out. I have been told the doctor's hypothesis is that maybe my brain doesn't produce enough serotonin... which is why I clicked on this post in the first place... my only worry now is I take a lot of it... will my brain stop producing it completely... kind of like taking steroids if you take too much your body stops producing testosterone... aka homeostasis!

Also P.P.S haha... I noticed "higher stress response" with the TT expression... well that is certainly true in my case. In my opinion (for me personally after many years of thinking about it etc) that does not mean "always stressed" (as I stress less than my wife for example because some days I just don't give a shit hahaha it's healthy I swear!) so much as you could be stressed about the same amount as a person with a different expression... but when you do "lose the temper" that is why so people are explained as "seeing red." Your response is simply more extreme. Something like that... not a good thing... not a bad thing... just the way it is!!! I describe it as "hey that guy is STEALING MY SHEEP ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHH insert a ton of swearing and violent beating of the farm equipment and/or sharp blade instruments "GET OFF MY FARM" type stuff haha." Once upon a time that behavior was very advantageous in an evolutionary way... keeping a sharp eye out for cattle thieves and being very willing to challenge anyone on your territory you don't know :-)!

backdrop12
05-01-2017, 08:10 PM
I went onto Prometheus and it seems like I got CC on this gene .

I can confirm greatly that I have ADHD and depression . I am more of an ambivert , and I believe that anti-depressant that I took between 10-17 did more harm than good .

JFWinstone
05-01-2017, 09:08 PM
CC for me long term problems with anxiety, depression, paranoia, PTSD and diagnosed with Aspergers. Family history of depression, anxiety, autism spectrum disorders and several family members have attempted suicide on my mother's side. Not sure about my father's side except they have a history of drug/alcohol problems.

surbakhunWeesste
05-02-2017, 11:51 PM
You guys need to take CBD oil ASAP, you will start observing difference soon. It helps with ADHD, Aspergers, Anxiety, Depression, OCD, chronic pain...you name it.

It does not induce head high >>THC; it induces body high, but a dash of THC with high CBD is great.

Kelmendasi
05-03-2017, 09:10 PM
CT. I had depression as a teen due to some personal problems although I have always had temper problems

abcd1234
12-02-2017, 09:18 PM
me also ..... :\
best regarards
adam

p.s
i checked my now in ftdna raw data
TC

what? where do you actually see this in the raw data?

Nive1526
12-02-2017, 10:14 PM
rs6311 = CC

I had and have depressive phases im my life, but never experienced an actual depression, none amongst my closest relatives as well.
But I am not an extrovert and usually in discord with myself, very critical on my flaws.
Multiple genetic and environmental factors determine who we are,
I also have the worrier gene rs4680 = AA and do feel more like an intermediate, not entirely self confident and extrovert, not depressive.

abcd1234
12-02-2017, 10:53 PM
rs6311 = CC

I had and have depressive phases im my life, but never experienced an actual depression, none amongst my closest relatives as well.
But I am not an extrovert and usually in discord with myself, very critical on my flaws.
Multiple genetic and environmental factors determine who we are,
I also have the worrier gene rs4680 = AA and do feel more like an intermediate, not entirely self confident and extrovert, not depressive.

well i guess genes do play a role but there are a lot of other contributing factors

Jenny
12-03-2017, 07:54 AM
CC here too but in real life I'm prone to depression

SwampThing27
04-01-2018, 05:37 PM
I am CC and have had an anxiety disorder for the last 6 years. Sometimes it consumes my life and robs me of joy and I think it also leads to some depression. I am able to function normally on the outside, but inside I hate my mind and wish it was normal again.