PDA

View Full Version : Big Y Results Completed Today... Where Are They?

Ski
12-24-2016, 03:41 AM
Hello all, I logged in to FTDNA today and saw that my eagerly-awaited Big Y test was marked as 'completed' today. However, my haplogroup hasn't changed on my home screen, and the Big Y button says 'awaiting results'. To avoid posting about a topic that has been covered already, I checked through Anthrogenica to see if anyone else has had this particular issue. I found a post stating that it would possibly work to use the 'My FTDNA' button at the top left and scroll down to 'Big Y-> Results'. I have done this several times, but all it displays is that I ordered the Big Y today (I ordered it last month) and that my results, in batch 705, are expected from 25 January to 08 February. I'm probably being impatient, but can anyone clarify what is going on here? Does it take a certain amount of time for the results to upload and become available?

jdean
12-24-2016, 09:07 AM
I can't help with your exact problem but there were BigY results for batch 705 which come out on the 21st.

Ski
12-27-2016, 12:43 AM
JDean, it would appear my results did, in fact, come out on the 23rd. I received an email on the 24th stating that I had one Big Y match. However, oddly, I still cannot access my matches or results.

JMcB
12-27-2016, 03:55 AM
JDean, it would appear my results did, in fact, come out on the 23rd. I received an email on the 24th stating that I had one Big Y match. However, oddly, I still cannot access my matches or results.

I would call them and get them to straighten it out. Their customer service reps should be back on the 27th.

Family Tree DNA Phone Support
Call: 713-868-1438
Monday - Thursday 9 am to 4:30 pm CST
Friday 9 am to noon

Ski
12-27-2016, 07:23 PM
Thank you, all- everything is right with the world.

rivergirl
12-28-2016, 01:16 AM
One of my project members Big Y results came out on the 22 Dec 2016. It has taken to today for the match list to appear.
It still does not look quite right though.
Of his shared novel variants the first 150 matches all share 16, the other ~700 all share 0. I dont think it has finnished the matching process.
His 1 actual SNP match is buried somewhere in the ~850 matches. Luckily he shows up on the subclade filter and search by name.

rms2
12-28-2016, 01:24 AM
One of my project members Big Y results came out on the 22 Dec 2016. It has taken to today for the match list to appear.
It still does not look quite right though.
Of his shared novel variants the first 150 matches all share 16, the other ~700 all share 0. I dont think it has finnished the matching process.
His 1 actual SNP match is buried somewhere in the ~850 matches. Luckily he shows up on the subclade filter and search by name.

You need a good analysis of his Big Y results. I am a big fan of FTDNA, but its Big Y matches system leaves a lot to be desired. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.

JMcB
12-28-2016, 04:07 AM
You need a good analysis of his Big Y results. I am a big fan of FTDNA, but its Big Y matches system leaves a lot to be desired. I don't even pay attention to it anymore.

Hello rms2,

Would you mind elaborating on what you see as defective in thier matching system? Since my BigY results came in, I've been intrigued by something that's showing up in my matches. While they don't appear to have any genealogical relevance, the way they're clustering does seem to contradict the geographical placement I was led to believe my subclade should have. However, there is one proviso to that last statement but I'll leave it aside for now.

On the other hand, if FTDNA's matches are "worthless," as one correspondent told me, then perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Celt_??
12-28-2016, 08:14 AM
If one realizes the Time to Most Recent Common Ancestor (TMRCA) is usually in the thousands of years, of what value is the name of a Match or the Match's location and, in particular, the Match's email address? For example, the terminal "Known SNP" of my closest Matches is R - CTS9733 which has a TMRCA of 3900 years before present - the middle of Bronze Age Europe. If one looks at the FTDNA map of men who have tested positive for CTS9733, they are scattered from Sweden to Sicily to the USA.

On the other hand, I tested along with a probable distant cousin related from the 1750s - six generations ago - and our Big Y results are identical including 38 Novel Variants. Our ancestors had the same last name, a similar age and lived on the frontier of Virginia but always lived three counties distant from each other. Our results prove the two men are indeed closely related probably as brothers but they could have been cousins. Here is the Milam placement on Alex Williamson's The Big Tree along with some of our Matches; the country flags tell the same story as the map above. We have a common ancestor from the Bronze Age - except of course my cousin ;)

Here are the instructions for uploading your FTDNA files to The Big Tree: http://www.ytree.net/Instructions.html

JamesKane
12-28-2016, 11:52 AM
On the other hand, if FTDNA's matches are "worthless," as one correspondent told me, then perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree.

There are two major flaws in the Big Y matching system.

1) It was designed to give weight to a list of constantly out of date known variants. There are many that are inconsistent across samples. This makes some of your closer matches appear much further away. Many of the novel variants are in fact named and should be filtered out better.
2) For the matching to work well, it must be integrated with their tree. It is only through comparing samples on the near terminal branches that you are dealing with the informative matches.

It's not worthless but it's horribly painful in identifying which kits are actually relevant.

JMcB
12-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Thank you for your thoughts, I appreciate it. I was wondering if either of you - or anyone else - would mind commenting on my situation. For the most part, I am not really interesting in making genealogical connections. I'm interested in tracking the movement of my paternal ancestors as they migrated from the general area of Schleswig Holstein, where I-M253 is supposed to have formed, to South Western Scotland where my earliest know ancestor came from.

From what I understand, I-M253 is generally divided into a Northern Nordic branch and a Southern Germanic branch, with my STRs indicating that I'm in the Southern Branch. When I spoke to Ken Nordtvedt, who kindly looked at my STRs and did most of the foundational work on I-M253, he believed that my ancestors came from the area of the Angles and the Saxons and he placed them in North Western Germany around 400 BC. Which is not too far off from YFull's TMRCA for Y3649 (2700 ybp), which used to be my predicted subclade. BigY has now shown me to be I-M253>Z140>F2649>Y3649 >Y7623.

When I look at my BigY matches, 29.4% are from Norway and Sweden with most of them branching off from me around 1300 BC. The rest are from the British Isles (58.8%), Germany (5.8%), The Netherlands & France (2.9% each). So I'm not sure what to make of all these Norwegians & Swedes whose presence seems to go against what I was led to believe.

My Continental Matches

The only thing that has occurred to me is that this might represent a selection bias because the Norwegians and the Swedes are far more enthusiastic DNA testers than the Germans and the Danes.

Celt_??
12-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Viking Invasions into Southwest Scotland after Invading Northern Ireland

JMcB
12-28-2016, 08:04 PM
Viking Invasions into Southwest Scotland after Invading Northern Ireland

Yes, thank you, I did consider that option along with a few others. Although, I would have thought the Danes were more likely if that was the case. Especially, considering that I'm suppose to be in the Southern Branch of M253. Although, I've always had my doubts about that particular line of demarcation. Which the above matches only heighten. Be that as it may, I've sent my data off to YFull, so hopefully they'll be able to shed some light on the sudject.

rivergirl
12-29-2016, 12:44 AM

Thanks rms2, he has already sent his results to Alex Williamson. Alex has placed him on the CTS1751 tree and we are awaiting his position to be finalised.
I do agree with you, FTDNAs Big Y match systemm is a shambles.
(Even with using the Subclade Filter, it misses his next closest matches, as they are in a branch below him, so do not show up.
Luckily they are in the same surname project so we can see the results clearly.)