PDA

View Full Version : ABOUT GENETIC DISTANCE

selim
12-24-2016, 11:29 AM
Hello my haplogroup is E-L241.among my matches there in 37 markers there are two persons .The first is
Mr. D from Turkey( E-v13) ;the Genetic Distance with him is 4 ; in the COMPARISON CHART with him i found 99.98% in 24 generations and 88.95% in 8 generations.the second person is B from England(E-M35) ;;the Genetic Distance with him is 4 ; in the COMPARISON CHART with him i found 99.24% in 24 generations and 48.88% in 8 generations.It this means that i have a common ancestor with the first person (mr D )in the 16th century for excemple ?IS THIS MEANS that the first person is closer for me than the second persons .in In what age can i have a common ancestor with the first person please ?.THANK YOU VERY MUCH

RCO
12-24-2016, 12:30 PM
That's only a general idea. You would need NGS tests (like FTDNa Big Y, FGC) to observe the genetic distance in termos of SNPs, they have a better confidence.

miiser
12-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Hello my haplogroup is E-L241.among my matches there in 37 markers there are two persons .The first is
Mr. D from Turkey( E-v13) ;the Genetic Distance with him is 4 ; in the COMPARISON CHART with him i found 99.98% in 24 generations and 88.95% in 8 generations.the second person is B from England(E-M35) ;;the Genetic Distance with him is 4 ; in the COMPARISON CHART with him i found 99.24% in 24 generations and 48.88% in 8 generations.It this means that i have a common ancestor with the first person (mr D )in the 16th century for excemple ?IS THIS MEANS that the first person is closer for me than the second persons .in In what age can i have a common ancestor with the first person please ?.THANK YOU VERY MUCH

These numbers in the TiP report are only a statistical probability curve, not a certainty. But yes, the person with the higher percentage is likely to be more closely related to you. The shared ancestor is most likely to be around the 50% mark. At 50%, there is a 50% probability the MRCA will be within that number of generations or fewer, and 50% probability that the MRCA will be beyond that number of generations. The 50% mark is the center point of the MRCA estimate. As you move out from the 50% split, more recently or more distantly, there is less probability for the shared ancestor to be at that number of generations.