PDA

View Full Version : Does DNA testing support what you know about your ancestry?

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16
12-25-2016, 09:34 PM
I don't think I've been in good luck with DNA testing as it seems that I get varied results and I'm still trying to figure out if and why these results are missing what I know about my ancestry.

Even though I'm a Swahili from the great city state of Mombasa I still would like to know what makes up the rest 100% me.

The answer for me therefore has been no.

Oleg (Rus)
12-26-2016, 01:43 AM
Africans are not investigated very well, but it's gradually getting better.
As of me, I have only been tested with Family Finder, and my results there are strange:

68% Eastern Europe,
24% Finland,
5% Central Asia,
2% Northeast Asia,
1% Native American.

Eastern Europe and Finland are typical for Russians, but I don't know exactly about real percentage of these ancestral components in us. Central Asia is often found in Russians, and it's quite weird. Legends about the Scythians may sound attractively, but it's hard to believe in them. Northeast Asia - likely from Finno-Ugric tribes. Native American - too, but FTDNA isn't precise in this case, because Siberians and NA separated thousands years ago. In the end, I don't score any % of Jewish admixture there, but I'm sure that I really have it because of many Jewish matches and results from Doug McDonald. Different companies are good for different purposes. Some of them are more useful for Africans, while some - for Europeans or Jews.

Mike_G
12-26-2016, 03:00 AM
DNA admixture testing has proven to be worthless for me. It's either been absurdly ambiguous (like 23andme, which is supposedly the most accurate for admixture) or just plain goofy like FTDNA, GPSorigins, etc. The more I've learned about this stuff the less I really know about my ancestral origins. mtDNA and Y-DNA testing results are interesting, but nothing really enlightening in terms of my past.

Adrian Stevenson
12-26-2016, 08:59 AM
It has worked well for me so far.

My family has been in South Nottinghamshire since at least 1580 and the village where we come from was part of the Danelaw and was allegedly was a Danish settlement. (Not sure how true that is to be honest given the Saxon "ton" name ending.) Me being Haplogroup I M256/S246 (Z59) fits very well with this scenario.

Mum's line of MT Haplogroup T2C1 was an interesting surprise and seems fairly scarce in the UK.

Cheers, Ade.

C J Wyatt III
12-26-2016, 09:28 AM
Mum's line of MT Haplogroup T2C1 was an interesting surprise and seems fairly scarce in the UK.

How far back can you trace that maternal line with confidence?

Thanks,

Jack

Adrian Stevenson
12-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Paper trail wise I can take Mum's maternal Grandmother line back six generations to circa 1725 in Nottinghamshire. The Haplogroup arose around 25,000 ago in Mesopotamia and this I find fascinating on just how populations moved through the ages.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
12-26-2016, 11:00 AM
Just got my Ancestry DNA results in this morning since I wrote my earlier posts! Please see here:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3378-What-next&p=205017&viewfull=1#post205017

Cheers, Ade.