PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone outside the US been transitioned?

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16
12-27-2016, 03:26 AM
I haven't been transfered as I am currently living outside the US.

A Norfolk L-M20
12-28-2016, 12:54 PM
It's very confusing. I have seen someone on the New Experience Forum (the only part of the New Experience that we can register at and access: http://www.23andmeforums.com/ ) that appeared to be English, but there is a possibility that she could have purchased the kit in the USA. There are some USA customers stuck with us, because they had at least one Non-USA kit registered to their account. Otherwise, it's pretty much Trump's dream of a wall between the USA and the World as far as I can see.

They introduced a low budget Ancestry-only test - but only for as far as I know, USA customers. At the same time, the standard test here has had it's price hiked up. We appear to be stuck on the Old Experience. No staff updates, just some very old promises. They have removed some of our tools and the My Heritage service. Our haplogroups are incredibly out-dated. I think that the Y haplogroups date to around 2007 previous to the tidal wave of Big Y testing. The Y haplogroups have been updated for USA customers on the New Experience.

It's pretty incredible how badly they are treating us. I had at least two relatives to test. I won't be using 23andMe unfortunately.

Judith
01-05-2017, 07:45 PM
I am just puzzled about 23&me. I live in the UK tested on V4 and still have the connection to myheritage where the tree is.

So I may have been on the new experience all along since I have never found the features they say they are discontinuing. BUT I don't think i would test with 23&me again since too many people stay private even when they state that they are testing for genealogy and have one of my family (rare) names. Plus 4th cousins from my ancestral towns who are private. WHY? Then fewer cousins reply to messages than FTDNA. Too frustrating all round.

firemonkey
01-11-2017, 04:41 AM
I can't understand why it is taking them so long to switch people to the new set up. An explanation as to why it is taking so long is sorely needed. Has there been a technical glitch?

anglesqueville
03-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Dear Patrick,

The new 23andMe experience will be ready for you in just a few days.

Received today. Today is 3.11.2017. We'll can see what " just a few days" means in the 23&me-ish dialect.

MfA
03-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Dear Patrick,

The new 23andMe experience will be ready for you in just a few days.

Received today. Today is 3.11.2017. We'll can see what " just a few days" means in the 23&me-ish dialect.

Yeah I received the same a few days ago.

Solothurn
03-11-2017, 08:15 PM
This was posted last month :(

We’re getting ready to transition the next batch of customers to the new website experience. Customers in the following countries will be transitioned in this group:

Albania
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Estonia
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Hong Kong
Iceland
Israel
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Switzerland
Vatican City

I haven't been transfered as I am currently living outside the US.

sgdavies@hotmail.com
03-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Had an email yesterday from 23andme

Dear X,

The new 23andMe experience will be ready for you in just a few days. This new experience is a redesigned site with better functionality -- including new and exciting ancestry features.

Here's a glimpse of what's new and different.

A different way to share
We've changed the way you share data with family and friends. The information from your Sharing connections will no longer be found in your individual reports. Instead, this information will all be located in a single place -- the new Share and Compare feature lets you opt-in to compare genetic similarities between you and your family or friends.

Updated ancestry features
We have added an additional analysis to the Ancestry Composition report, which we call "Ancestry Timeline." This feature allows customers to go back in time and learn approximately when a particular ancestry entered their family tree.

Our new Relatives in Common feature within the DNA Relatives tool allows you to see the genetic relatives that you and a DNA Relatives match have in common.

To learn more about how your current 23andMe features will look in the new experience, visit this help article.

Some things are going away
We'll be removing some of our less popular features from the previous 23andMe experience. For a complete list of what won't be available in the new experience, click here.

We will email you in the next few days once your new experience is ready.

The 23andMe Team

Solothurn
03-12-2017, 10:17 AM
No email for us as yet, but UK kits will be updated end of summer I believe :(

vettor
03-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Had an email yesterday from 23andme

Dear X,

The new 23andMe experience will be ready for you in just a few days. This new experience is a redesigned site with better functionality -- including new and exciting ancestry features.

Here's a glimpse of what's new and different.

A different way to share
We've changed the way you share data with family and friends. The information from your Sharing connections will no longer be found in your individual reports. Instead, this information will all be located in a single place -- the new Share and Compare feature lets you opt-in to compare genetic similarities between you and your family or friends.

Updated ancestry features
We have added an additional analysis to the Ancestry Composition report, which we call "Ancestry Timeline." This feature allows customers to go back in time and learn approximately when a particular ancestry entered their family tree.

Our new Relatives in Common feature within the DNA Relatives tool allows you to see the genetic relatives that you and a DNA Relatives match have in common.

To learn more about how your current 23andMe features will look in the new experience, visit this help article.

Some things are going away
We'll be removing some of our less popular features from the previous 23andMe experience. For a complete list of what won't be available in the new experience, click here.

We will email you in the next few days once your new experience is ready.

The 23andMe Team

I received the same email last week ............and today lost the ability to view DNA relatives with a message stating the new system will be ready in 2 weeks

evon
03-15-2017, 05:31 PM
My fiance got transferred last night, got the e-mail on Sunday, so its about half a week..

evon
03-15-2017, 09:41 PM
I see they didn't rerun her DNA, so she is still on V2 chipset even though she is on the new platform, that is very bad news...

A Norfolk L-M20
03-15-2017, 09:49 PM
Yes, 23 announced a few weeks ago that they'd now be processing Norway. They are leaving the UK to last, so, bye all.

evon
03-16-2017, 10:38 AM
Yes, 23 announced a few weeks ago that they'd now be processing Norway. They are leaving the UK to last, so, bye all.

She is not Norwegian ;) and I know many Norwegians who got transferred last summer... My family is still on hold and we are Norwegian...

A Norfolk L-M20
03-16-2017, 10:41 AM
She is not Norwegian ;) and I know many Norwegians who got transferred last summer... My family is still on hold and we are Norwegian...

"We’re getting ready to transition the next batch of customers to the new website experience. Customers in the following countries will be transitioned in this group:

Albania
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Estonia
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Hong Kong
Iceland
Israel
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Switzerland
Vatican City "

23andMe support announcement 29 days ago.

evon
03-16-2017, 10:54 AM
"We’re getting ready to transition the next batch of customers to the new website experience. Customers in the following countries will be transitioned in this group:

Albania
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Estonia
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Hong Kong
Iceland
Israel
Italy
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Switzerland
Vatican City "

23andMe support announcement 29 days ago.

Well that is not true at all (could you provide a link to that announcement as I would like to challenge them on it), as we have many examples of people who got transitioned from these countries prior to this announcement (some who have mentioned it here: http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?8192-Coming-soon-A-new-23andMe-experience ). I think 23andme is one of the worst organized companies that I have every been in contact with..

Actually this whole thread is build on a faulty rumor that only US costumers would be transitioned, which has been proven wrong on many instances, but it kept coming up in different shapes..

A Norfolk L-M20
03-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Evon, the announcement was made by 23andMe support on the Old Experience Forum.

evon
03-16-2017, 10:57 AM
Evon, the announcement was made by 23andMe support on the Old Experience Forum.

I am still on the old platform, so I will have a look. But it is still wrong, as how can you explain those in Norway and other European countries that have been transitioned prior to this date.
I sent them a message about it. Although it dosnt really matter much, there seems to be a lot of mistakes within their public relations department.

A Norfolk L-M20
03-16-2017, 11:04 AM
I am still on the old platform, so I will have a look. But it is still wrong, as how can you explain those in Norway and other European countries that have been transitioned prior to this date.

To be perfectly honest evon, other than your report, I haven't seen any international customers report that they've been transitioned until the past several weeks - other than those that purchased kits directly from or within the USA. There was a rebellion going on in the forums, as 23 were until recently, failing to give any dates to international customers or to deny these rumours. They then finally published that statement. 29 days ago. I assumed from your previous posts that perhaps Norway was some sort of exception until I saw the 23 official response. It really doesn't matter. However, it was more than rumour - in the sense that at least most international customers were left until after the USA customers were transitioned, and until recently, were given no deadline.

evon
03-16-2017, 11:24 AM
To be perfectly honest evon, other than your report, I haven't seen any international customers report that they've been transitioned until the past several weeks - other than those that purchased kits directly from or within the USA. There was a rebellion going on in the forums, as 23 were until recently, failing to give any dates to international customers or to deny these rumours. They then finally published that statement. 29 days ago. I assumed from your previous posts that perhaps Norway was some sort of exception until I saw the 23 official response. It really doesn't matter. However, it was more than rumour - in the sense that at least most international customers were left until after the USA customers were transitioned, and until recently, were given no deadline.

So you didnt click the link I gave you? As if you did you would see GTC saying that he had been transitioned (I think Leonardo is also outside of the US). Most people I have talked to that have been transitioned have mentioned it on ISOGG's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/isogg/). You can find them by searching "transitioned" as an example.

Exosuits
03-17-2017, 09:33 AM
Finally got the new platform today

sgdavies@hotmail.com
03-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Hi im in Germany, and I just logged in on the off-chance, as I had no email confirmation, and wow and behold... yay I got the new experience, :P

vettor
03-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Hi im in Germany, and I just logged in on the off-chance, as I had no email confirmation, and wow and behold... yay I got the new experience, :P

Let us know of any differences from old to new

BalkanKiwi
03-18-2017, 06:46 AM
I've been transitioned. That was quicker than expected.

sgdavies@hotmail.com
03-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Let us know of any differences from old to new

Hi Vettor, I will not go into detail, but its quite a major overhall of how they present the data, the actual data is the same, although the paternal haplogroups have been updated to the newer naming convention.
Personally I quite like it, especially the timeline of my estimated French and German, seems to fit in nicely with the family story of a British soldier bring back a French woman back with him from the Napolonic Wars.

BalkanKiwi
03-19-2017, 01:03 AM
If anyone is interested, here is a comparison between my old and new Ancestry Composition results. I've had a slight increase in my British Isles, French & German, Balkan and Eastern European. I still have no known ancestors from either France or Germany, or any other country in the sample populations used. I've also included my Ancestry Timeline.

Old

http://i.imgur.com/jNQYYNWh.png

New

http://i.imgur.com/hUaHEfr.png

http://i.imgur.com/H72PzjNh.png

JMcB
03-19-2017, 02:54 AM
If anyone is interested, here is a comparison between my old and new Ancestry Composition results. I've had a slight increase in my British Isles, French & German, Balkan and Eastern European. I still have no known ancestors from either France or Germany, or any other country in the sample populations used. I've also included my Ancestry Timeline.

New

http://i.imgur.com/H72PzjNh.png

I'm not a 23&Me customer but I do like that Ancestry Timeline feature.

BalkanKiwi
03-19-2017, 06:17 AM

Agreed, however I think it might confuse newbies to autosomal testing. For example for Yakut, it says:

You most likely had a fourth great-grandparent, fifth great-grandparent, sixth great-grandparent, or seventh great (or greater) grandparent who was 100% Yakut. This person was likely born between 1720 and 1810.

I know I have no Yakut ancestor in that time frame, and because its only 0.1% its likely I don't have a Yakut ancestor at all, but it may give the false impression to someone that I do. It could be the same for Europeans who get 0.1% Oceanian and then think they have a Oceanian ancestor in that time frame.

As long as the person reads the details around the feature it should be fine.

MfA
03-19-2017, 09:21 AM

It's been 3 days since I'm transitioned to the "new experience". My kit was registered from Bulgaria.

evon
03-19-2017, 11:31 AM
It's been 3 days since I'm transitioned to the "new experience". My kit was registered from Bulgaria.

I spoke to 23andme about those that transitioned before that announcement, they said it was not suppose to have happened and that transitioning was based on shipping address, so I said it had indeed happened, unless all those that were transitioned before lied, which I think is unlikely (I actually realized that my grandmothers kit was registered to a US address, as I used a US based DNA cousin as a postal address to get around the expensive shipping back in 2011 or so).

So my impression is that 23andme has made a few mistakes here and there, which makes sense for a company with a track record of making mistakes, especially after the split with Google (I remember the problems they had with FDA in the US and the silly subscription fees etc they tried for a while). I dont know what the actual truth is here, my guess it is something in between all the known circumstances.. Either way, they are becoming increasingly irrelevant, which is why one should not be surprised to find out that they did not transfer everybody to v4 chipset, but kept everybody on their former chipset (something that has major implications for both AC and DNA relative calculation).

evon
03-19-2017, 11:36 AM

https://dna-explained.com/2017/01/17/calling-hogwash-on-23andmes-ancestry-timeline/

JMcB
03-19-2017, 02:21 PM
https://dna-explained.com/2017/01/17/calling-hogwash-on-23andmes-ancestry-timeline/

Oh well, while I wasn't planning on becoming a customer anyway, I certainlly won't be now. And it did occur to me after I sent that post, that it wouldn't have worked for me anyway because I'm approximately 90% British and Irish, so I would have just ended up with a bunch of bars saying British & Irish. ;-)

Thanks for the tip, though!

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16
03-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Looks like i have to wait until june because i live in the UK...

JFWinstone
03-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Same here mate also in the UK. Pretty much a big fingers up to their UK customers that they are leaving us until last to transfer. I know quite a few people who were planning on testing with them and now won't be. 

C J Wyatt III
03-19-2017, 03:46 PM
I pay so little attention to 23andMe that I do not know if my mother's kit has been transitioned. How can you tell?

Thanks,

Jack

sgdavies@hotmail.com
03-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Comparing the old and new experience, only just noticed they have done a recalculation on my composition.

Seems they have taken a big chunk out of my Broadly Northwestern European, and shared it between British and Irish and French and German.

Original

New Experience

vettor
03-21-2017, 06:14 PM
I was transitioned today

difference between old and new for ancestry

European old = 98.8% .............new = 99.2%

Italian old = 34.3 % ................new = 35.8%

french/German old = 8.1% ...............new = 13.4%

other changes only reflect the lowering of the "broadly " groups ..............plus they added 0.1% american in Chrom7 area ......never had american

.................................................. ......................

only significant change for my father was the increase of East-Asian ( Mongolian ) from 0.1% to 0.4% ( I still receive 0.1% Mongolian in old and new from him )

CelticGerman
03-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Done today (German and French)

CelticGerman
03-21-2017, 10:55 PM
my time line according to 23andMe, the Oceanian is strange ..... 14656