PDA

View Full Version : Lugii

Bulat
12-29-2016, 01:57 AM
Heelo at all!

What about think, that the celtic tribes Lugii were the ancestors of Poles R1a-M458?

'Poles' - etymology - 'field, meadow', from name of Polenes tribe.
'Lugii' - etymology - name of god (Raven), but in Slavic languages, termyn lugii mean = field.

rms2
12-30-2016, 12:12 AM
I don't mean to start an argument - however, a civilized argument is okay - but I don't think the Celts had much R1a about them.

It is likely that Bell Beaker preceded the Celts, and thus far BB is all R1b. The only ancient Celtic y-dna we have (Hinxton in Britain) is R1b-L21.

Jean M
12-30-2016, 10:17 AM
What about think, that the celtic tribes Lugii were the ancestors of Poles R1a-M458?

Polish is a Slavic language. It is not descended from any Celtic language. Slavic and Celtic are two separate branches from the Indo-European trunk. I suspect that what you might have read is an argument that the Lugii were not Celts but Slavs. That seems to be the point of trying to find a Slavic etymology for the tribal name.

The argument that the Lugii were Slavic has a long history. Others have argued that they were Germanic. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lugii

Certainly a Celtic etymology is easy to find. There are similar tribal names which are Celtic and a great number of Celtic personal names with the element lugu-.

moesan
01-02-2017, 08:51 PM
I don't know when started the evolution G -> Z in slavic languages...