PDA

View Full Version : Which is more informative from Gedmatch - Ethnicities or "population" %

JohnLightbridge
01-06-2017, 11:07 PM
By population % I mean such things as north-central-European, East-Euro, Balochi, etc. at the top.

By ethnicities that'd be the population 1 through 4 and mixed population results.

I am asking as I've been going through the various posts in the autosomal about the calculators. Some people post both, some post just the population %, and others just the ethnicities.

A Norfolk L-M20
01-07-2017, 01:44 PM
I'd say, depends on which calculator that you are using, and what you are looking for. On most tests, I'm most interested in Oracle population GDs (what I think that you refer to as ethnicity?). However, on some calculators, including some ancient calculators, what I am looking for might be looking at the base line "populations".

Camulogène Rix
01-10-2017, 09:14 PM
By population % I mean such things as north-central-European, East-Euro, Balochi, etc. at the top.

By ethnicities that'd be the population 1 through 4 and mixed population results.

I am asking as I've been going through the various posts in the autosomal about the calculators. Some people post both, some post just the population %, and others just the ethnicities.
Personally I'm a mix of western and southern European. Sometimes, in my case, the caculators give strange or absurd results for 4-populations. I definitely prefer the "ethnicities" percentage, which is more consistent and often similar whatever the calculator.