PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry DNA Genealogy

rms2
01-08-2017, 02:39 AM
I am a little reluctant to mention this, but between a second cousin and myself, we have hired Ancestry's professional genealogists to work on our paper trail, informed by our genetic testing results. They are not cheap: $115 per hour. I will let you all know how things turn out. I have high hopes, but we have asked only for movement a generation or two beyond our current y-dna most distant known ancestor.

Back on 23 December I had lunch with my second cousin (our grandfathers are brothers, and he and I feel like brothers - honestly), and we agreed to do this. It's a big deal for both of us. We both really care about our ancestry.

When we were having lunch at a pub in Alexandria, Virginia, I told him I felt like our grandfathers were looking down from heaven, and I meant it.

JMcB
01-08-2017, 03:33 AM
I am a little reluctant to mention this, but between a second cousin and myself, we have hired Ancestry's professional genealogists to work on our paper trail, informed by our genetic testing results. They are not cheap: $115 per hour. I will let you all know how things turn out. I have high hopes, but we have asked only for movement a generation or two beyond our current y-dna most distant known ancestor.

Back on 23 December I had lunch with my second cousin (our grandfathers are brothers, and he and I feel like brothers - honestly), and we agreed to do this. It's a big deal for both of us. We both really care about our ancestry.

When we were having lunch at a pub in Alexandria, Virginia, I told him I felt like our grandfathers were looking down from heaven, and I meant it.

Good luck, I hope they find what you're looking for quickly.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
01-08-2017, 07:09 AM
A few years back I hired, for a modest amount, a researcher at Hereford Records Office. He took my paternal line back to the late 1600's. There is no way I would have had the time or expertise to do this myself and I consider it money well-spent.
Over the Christmas holiday period I e mailed a local genealogist who has done work for a Welsh "celebrity" TV programme, "Coming Home" which is like "Who do you think you are". I haven't had a reply yet, maybe I'm not enough of a celebrity or maybe he doesn't do "English".:) whether I could afford his charges is another matter.
I would love, if possible to go back a bit further with my "Howells" the Records Office researcher traced back to Ganarew. Browsing the Internet I found this National Library of Wales reference which I think is from the 1500's - is there a possible connection? "23 March. Grant to John Bishop of Hereford for the restitution of first
fruits a portion of the tithes of Grenerowe [Ganarew, near Monmouth]
now or late in tenure of Thomas ap Howell and Elizabeth his wife"
I just don't have the level of expertise to follow this up, sometimes you need a professional. :)
I mentioned on another thread "finding" American descendants of my great grandmother's brother. We will probably never meet, but they do feel like family, there is a sort of bond there.
Good luck with your researcher. John

cvolt
01-08-2017, 01:16 PM
I've been thinking about hiring one for my 2nd great grandfather. Good luck on your search!

rms2
01-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the good wishes. I hope we make some progress this way. The genealogically inclined in our family have been beating their heads against our particular brick wall for several generations now, but no one has made it past our current mdka, my third great grandfather, who was born 05 February 1804 in Wheeling, West Virginia (part of Virginia back then). When our contact from Ancestry asked me what it is we are looking for, I replied that we are really just interested in that one line, our y-dna line, and we would be overjoyed if we could just find out who his father is, but, of course, getting all the way back to the immigrant is our ultimate goal.

Really, though, if I could just get one or two generations further back, I would be thrilled beyond telling.

It has only been the addition of dna testing to our genealogical tool kit that has made this a real possibility. My y-dna matches have provided us with places and people to focus on that we would have never found out about otherwise.

rms2
01-12-2017, 12:05 AM
Did all my sharing of info with Ancestry this evening. I am scheduled for a kick-off phone meeting with Ancestry's genealogists on Friday, 20 January. Looking forward to it.

castle3
01-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Did all my sharing of info with Ancestry this evening. I am scheduled for a kick-off phone meeting with Ancestry's genealogists on Friday, 20 January. Looking forward to it.

I wish you good luck. Breaking through brick walls is one of the greatest feelings. On a general note: some genealogists are excellent, however I would still double-check everything they tell you. I paid a sum of money to one many years ago , when trying to trace an ancestor who I was told fought in the Zulu Wars in 1879. The 'expert' told me he couldn't find anything. A few years later I managed to search the records in person and found my chap in a little over five minutes!

rms2
01-12-2017, 12:19 PM
I'm hoping these people really know what they're doing and will succeed. They aren't cheap, that's for sure.

rms2
01-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Yesterday afternoon I spoke by phone with Katherine, our Ancestry research manager. She said there is a research queue, so our research won't begin until April. We will receive updates on the progress every four to five weeks and anytime anything exciting appears. Katherine will prepare a final report when the research is done and will give us a journal detailing how the research was conducted, what documents were consulted, etc. She and her team will also prepare a "Pro-Gen Tree" at Ancestry which we are free to incorporate into our our Ancestry pedigrees and beyond (as long as we cite Ancestry as the source).

The Ancestry team will begin with our most distant known y-dna ancestor, my third great grandfather, Auguston Stevens, born 1804, and work back from there. The immediate goal is to find out who his father and paternal grandfather are; beyond that, the goal is to work back to the immigrant and beyond, if possible.

Of course, she said she cannot guarantee success, but she thinks our chances are good. She said our y-dna testing is a spectacular source. Katherine also said genealogist Joan Peake did an excellent job in her research, which will serve as the springboard for what she and her team will do. I know I should not do it, but I have let my hopes get up.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am supposed to hold off altering the two trees of mine at Ancestry they are examining. One of them is my solidly documented pedigree, and the other is a speculative tree I prepared based on the work done by Joan Peake last spring. The speculative tree is clearly labeled "speculative", and I point out in the comments that no one should use it to base anything on except the parts that are documented. I did not want to put something on Ancestry that people would transfer to their trees but that might prove to be incorrect.

jdean
01-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Looking forward to hearing your progress, best of luck !!!!

rms2
01-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Looking forward to hearing your progress, best of luck !!!!

Thanks!

I will be posting updates anytime anything noteworthy appears. It actually drives me nuts that they won't be able to begin until April, but I guess that can't be helped. In the meantime, I have some dna test results I am waiting on, not for myself, but for relatives, and we are all waiting on the big Bell Beaker paper. Hopefully all that will break up the monotony and make waiting a little easier.

jdean
01-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Yes we're all impatient for the BB paper, if it doesn't turn up soon I'm in danger of wearing my finger nails away from tapping them too much : ))))))

rod
12-20-2017, 03:08 AM
Did you ever get anything useful from the "professional genealogist"?

rms2
12-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Did you ever get anything useful from the "professional genealogist"?

Honestly, no, not much, not from the Ancestry genealogists anyway. We were in their queue for months and months. When they finally got to us, they did almost nothing with the excellent background and genetic data we had provided. Instead, they went over the same old ground that had been covered time and again. On top of that, their services are exorbitantly expensive.

I don't recommend them.