PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tested twice at Ancestry DNA?

Kylo_Ren
01-09-2017, 04:52 PM
I understand their whole range prediction methodology but am just curious if anyone got differing ethnicity report results? Also, especially because the V2 chip was released which could have an impact as well.

geebee
01-09-2017, 05:33 PM
I tested twice, but the results weren't that different:

cvolt
01-09-2017, 05:41 PM
I was going to test twice at Ancestry because I had 0% Europe West the first time around, I was like no way that's right. I ended up testing at ftdna after, 0% western euro again. So I think the V2 chip wouldn't give me much different results!

Kylo_Ren
01-09-2017, 05:48 PM
I was going to test twice at Ancestry because I had 0% Europe West the first time around, I was like no way that's right. I ended up testing at ftdna after, 0% western euro again. So I think the V2 chip wouldn't give me much different results!

I get only >1% even though I have nearly 50% German ancestry. The range they gave me was 0-5%.

Kylo_Ren
01-09-2017, 05:51 PM
I tested twice, but the results weren't that different:

Thanks! It is interesting that there is even a difference even by a couple percentage points. I have only seen one other case so far. The difference there was as high as 5-7% for some regions from the first to the second test.

geebee
01-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Because of how the ethnicity estimate is determined (on the basis of 40 different runs), it seems likely that you would see slight differences even with exactly the same version if you simply did a new set of runs.

EDIT

Here's how Ancestry explains it:

When we calculate your estimate for each ethnicity region, we run forty separate analyses. Each of the forty analyses gives another estimate of your ethnicity, and each one is done with randomly selected portions of your DNA. Why forty? Ethnicity estimation can be variable from comparison to comparison — different combinations of DNA can give us different information, so doing multiple analyses can give us a more accurate estimate, as well as the likely range.

Saetro
01-09-2017, 08:16 PM

What's that Skippy? She's right!

Some of the experienced bloggers looked at this.
Here is one comment from Reberta Estes on V2 including ethnicity https://dna-explained.com/2016/10/05/ancestry-v1-vs-v2-test-comparison/
And another on V2 vs V1 more generally and on relationships https://dna-explained.com/2016/11/03/ancestry-v1-vs-v2-shared-dna-and-relationship-predictions/

Friends have tested sets of 4 siblings and have vastly different ethnicity results across them wherever they test.
Between 5 and 30% of one geographic area.
And that is because of the way the DNA was handed out in the first place, not because of the test labs.

If you are going to do another test, test a sibling, or a near relative.
You will gain more than re-testing yourself.