PDA

View Full Version : Why are most people right handed? The answer may be in the mouths of our ancestors

Amerijoe
01-11-2017, 01:58 PM
http://phys.org/news/2017-01-people-mouths-ancestors.html

jdean
01-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Just to be awkward I'm right handed but left eye dominant : )

Amerijoe
01-11-2017, 04:41 PM
;)

Same here. Did target shoots in my younger days. Had to tilt head to the right to line up left eye. Didn't look good, but it worked. ;)

jdean
01-11-2017, 04:48 PM
;)

Same here. Did target shoots in my younger days. Had to tilt head to the right to line up left eye. Didn't look good, but it worked. ;)

Had to learn to do things like that left handed, did you knock everything flying when reaching for stuff at the dinner table too : )))

JohnLightbridge
01-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Oh, then how does one explain people who are cross-dominant [mix handed] or are ambidextrous?

I am "mix handed" and as such I am more than capable of using either my right or left hand. I actually think nothing of using one hand or the other. So much so that I actually freak out some of my colleagues with how utterly at ease I am switching hands. I would say ambidextrous aside from the fact that I've never suffered any of the issues [ADHD, language learning problems, etc.] often associated with true ambidexterity.

jdean
01-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Oh, then how does one explain people who are cross-dominant [mix handed] or are ambidextrous?

Don't know about explaining but from casual observation people who are left handed tend to be more 'ambidextrous' than those born right handed.

JohnLightbridge
01-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Don't know about explaining but from casual observation people who are left handed tend to be more 'ambidextrous' than those born right handed.

Likely as the only way you can tell nowadays I was once left-handed is I can't write right-handed to save my life. Never really bothered to learn. Still in everything else, from shooting to playing guitar to using utensils, etc., I am completely ambidextrous.

But it is interesting, how
Left-handed and ambidextrous individuals have been shown to have more efficient hemispheric interactions..

Lirio100
01-11-2017, 06:05 PM
I am left-handed for most things, but I grew up at a time when there wasn't much accommodation for left handedness. I had to learn to use scissors right-handed, for instance. The term used to be "incomplete dominance", :)

vettor
01-11-2017, 06:17 PM
I am right-handed, left footed

one of my sons can use either left and right hand equally ...................he plays tennis with just a forehand, he just swaps the rachet from hand to hand .
he does write left-handed , but is right footed

JohnLightbridge
01-11-2017, 06:51 PM
oops, nevermind. wrong area.

Saetro
01-11-2017, 08:38 PM

So am I - I am told.
But the left eye dominance relates to reading, not to seeing the world - for that I am very right eye dominant.
For reading, my left eye skips ahead, causing me sometimes to miss letters, words and sometimes whole paragraphs.
The effect sometimes is as little as reversing a letter, when the brain tries to make sense of what is missed and I end up with some really funny jokey or punning version of what is really there.
A sibling had it worse and found spelling sheer torture until autocorrect.

But the handedness is not welded into stone - probably due to playing piano and typing from early years (long before computers).
When I damaged my right hand and had to try to do things with my left, life became interesting.
I could write - more clearly than with my right, so that when my right became better, colleagues asked me to continue writing notes with my left.
Playing table tennis or racquetball was fine with my left hand, but due to overwhelming right eye seeing dominance, when the ball went to my left side, it disappeared from conscious vision, but I still struck it cleanly, because my brain was still seeing it, even though the vision wasn't relayed to my conscious sight.

Using a kitchen knife was very difficult. My left hand lacked fine muscle control and I had to turn my head to one side, so the right eye could see what was going on.

Overall, I learned that skills can be learned and re-learned.
That what we experience in everyday life is often a very simplified version of what is going on - our brain often just gives us the headlines or executive summary.
And respect for people who experience life in a different way from the dominant "norm".

Asimakidis
01-11-2017, 09:39 PM
South paw here. Right footed. Right eye dominant.

JohnLightbridge
01-11-2017, 11:03 PM
Anyone want to post their eye, hand, and foot dominance? Be interesting to see what sort of correlation there is between eye, hand and foot [foot, what you step off on, kick a soccer ball with, etc.].

Eyes - right; but a rather small difference. I can use both right shoulder and left shoulder rifles equally, doesn't bother me, as proven at a two-bit shooting competition years ago where the organizers actually ran out of guns for the more common right-shoulder/eyed people. I just told my shooting partner to switch spots. Still came in 2nd place.

Hand - left originally, but completely ambidextrous in all but writing

Feet - left originally, but rather ambidextrous here too. I had such an "evil" reputation during college/university when playing on the football team.

Dewsloth
01-12-2017, 12:40 AM

I write left-handed, but throw and shoot right-handed.
Whenever I'm instructed to do something left or right, I choose the wrong one more than half the time. I think I'm directionally dyslexic.

firemonkey
01-12-2017, 01:14 AM
Left handed .Left eye dominant. Foot hard to tell, slightly left dominant?

Lirio100
01-12-2017, 02:28 AM
Still out of the mainstream :P . Trying a test for eye dominance I come up left eyed dominant, not surprising being left handed. Except that because I'm left handed I needed to use my right eye when using a microscope since I take notes with my left hand. In a very general sorting, I tend to use my left hand for activities requiring fine motor control, and my right for activities that need strength--I write left handed, throw a ball right handed, for instance.

JMcB
01-12-2017, 04:35 AM
I am cross dominant. Right handed with my left eye being dominant. It was originally a problem when it came to the shooting sports. Although, it was easily fixed by placing a translucent dot on the left eye of my shooting glasses. This blocked my left eye and allowed my right eye to take over. No problem with a pistol though, because I naturally just raised it to my left eye.

Judith
01-12-2017, 09:00 AM
I am left-eyed but right handed and right footed. I discovered this as child when my family fell over laughing as I tried to put my left eye to the sights when the rifle was on my right shoulder. Not surprisingly I was rubbish at shooting.

Abd.H
01-12-2017, 11:56 PM
I am right-handed ,right-footed, right-eyed

drobbah
01-13-2017, 12:31 AM
Left handed and left footed here.Is this trait passed down genetically?

Awale
01-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Left handed and left footed here.Is this trait passed down genetically?

If you'd grown up back in the mamaland and went to a hardliner "Dugsi"; the Imam there would likely "genetically reform you". :eyebrows: My mom was left-handed as a little girl but the Imam at her Quranic school would wack her left-hand with a stick until she relented and began learning to use her right-hand. That was pretty much about the only time someone had hit her as a child, lol... She's grateful to him though since she's now ambidextrous. I'm right-handed myself and tend to favor my right-leg.

drobbah
01-13-2017, 08:19 AM
If you'd grown up back in the mamaland and went to a hardliner "Dugsi"; the Imam there would likely "genetically reform you". :eyebrows: My mom was left-handed as a little girl but the Imam at her Quranic school would wack her left-hand with a stick until she relented and began learning to use her right-hand. That was pretty much about the only time someone had hit her as a child, lol... She's grateful to him though since she's now ambidextrous. I'm right-handed myself and tend to favor my right-leg.

The infamous Malcaamad/Dugsi lol.As a child I was always screamed at by my mother for using the left hand while eating because as you know in Islam it believed that the devil eats with you if you are using your left hand.So I had to force myself to regularly eat with my right hand although it was hard at first.

My mother then wanted to force me to become completely right handed but my father objected knowing being a leftie was an advantage which is what he told me.So when I started playing sports like soccer at a young age(which I'm pretty good at not to sound cocky) being a leftie definitely helped confused defenders but as I got older coaches stressed that I should atleast attempt to be decent with my other foot.I can now use both feet but I will always have a tendency for the left :D

Apparently Left handedness was preferred by our pre-islamic ancestors.

Awale
07-04-2017, 08:11 PM
I'm right-handed myself and tend to favor my right-leg.

Odd fact relating to this... I recently noticed that all my old shoes tore in the same way. It was always a tear on the right shoe in the same area around the back toward the right. I realized this is because I excessively favor my right leg when walking and lean on it a lot when I stand too and this probably stressed out my old shoes, eventually resulting in a tear. It was just weird, really. Several different brands torn in the same way, around the same area. I'm 90% sure now that it's because I push my weight overwhelmingly on my right leg. Been teaching myself to spread the weight around more or even stress out my left leg by overwhelmingly leaning on it sometimes.

Elizabeth
07-05-2017, 04:17 AM
I write right-handed because I was trained that way in school.

geebee
07-05-2017, 05:40 PM

I'm another. I'm strongly right-handed and -footed. But I'm just as strongly left-eyed. My father used to fuss at me when I'd shoot left-handed, and when I bought my first (and only) rifle I made sure to get bolt action so the spent cartridge wouldn't eject into my face.

What seems a little weird to me is that my wife is the same way I am and our daughter is just the opposite: left-handed but right-eyed. Actually, it probably isn't quite so weird. Hand and eye dominance are supposedly not related. It's just that the right side is preferred by the majority. I don't think it's as lopsided of a split for eye dominance as for handedness.

EDIT: Wikipedia says that about two-thirds of folks are right eye dominant, one about one-third are left eye dominant; but a few appear not to have a dominant eye. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocular_dominance

alan
07-05-2017, 06:39 PM

I am "mix handed" and as such I am more than capable of using either my right or left hand. I actually think nothing of using one hand or the other. So much so that I actually freak out some of my colleagues with how utterly at ease I am switching hands. I would say ambidextrous aside from the fact that I've never suffered any of the issues [ADHD, language learning problems, etc.] often associated with true ambidexterity.

I'm very similar. Both hands and feet are as good as each other. Being the equal with both feet absolutely bamboozled opponents when I played soccer.

alan
07-05-2017, 06:40 PM
I'm very similar. Both hands and feet are as good as each other. Being the equal with both feet absolutely bamboozled opponents when I played soccer.

When I play tennis I just change hands instead of backhanding

JFWinstone
07-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Out of my dad's 9 children, 7 are right handed and 2 left handed, myself and my half brother. I'm also in the minority when it comes to eye colour, all my half siblings plus both my parents have brown eyes and I have grey eyes.

MitchellSince1893
07-06-2017, 01:12 AM
I write left handed, shoot left handed, use scissors left handed, but I throw right handed (but do pretty good left handed), bat and play golf right handed, bowl right handed. In tennis I can play with either hand. I usually serve right handed but then switch to left hand. Rather than a left back hand I will often just switch to my right hand if I've gotta reach for it. Table tennis right hand, but I can do well left handed.

I'm right footed, and left eye dominant.

Saetro
07-09-2017, 03:41 AM
When I play tennis I just change hands instead of backhanding

Do you find a lot of tennis opponents hit the ball straight at you?
I used to find tennis players who changed hands very challenging until I tried this tactic.
To be fair, it was their only vulnerable area. I was not aiming to injure.

Tragicsalv
07-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Rafael Nadal started playing with his right hand and changed to playing with his left based on his coach's recommendation. He makes it sound easy.

Wheal
07-14-2017, 06:05 PM
I have 2 sons. One right handed and one left handed. When they were babies, I would put their spoon on the center of their trays and let them pick up with whichever hand they wanted. My left handed son, was a switch hitter and plays golf right handed. In golf, my husband is right handed but plays left handed, and I have heard that in golf if you use the non-dominant side it gives you more control over the swing... just food for thought

MikeWhalen
07-14-2017, 06:50 PM
in relation to the OP question....
cause only a small percentage of us get dropped on our heads a few too many times when we were babies?

heh
:)

Mike

-sorry, could not resist as my best friend is a lefty and we have been exchanging 'theories' for about 50 yrs now

http://phys.org/news/2017-01-people-mouths-ancestors.html

Rach_27
07-16-2017, 07:53 AM
Both my mum and I are left-handed. Everyone else in the family is right-handed.

Agamemnon
07-18-2017, 08:44 PM
I am left-handed, my parents are right-handed.

Gray Fox
07-19-2017, 06:29 AM
All three areas are right side dominant for me. Parents are both right-handed as well. At the moment, I can't think of any left-handed family members.. Perhaps the family chose not mention them.. :P