PDA

View Full Version : Just Sent off Geno 2.0 NG Helix Sample- Has anyone gotten Helix results yet??

jpb
01-19-2017, 04:04 AM
I just mailed my Geno 2.0 NG Helix sample and I was curious if anyone has done the Helix test and if they've gotten their results, what the results (admixture, Y line, mt line) look like. Thanks!

ArmandoR1b
03-12-2017, 11:06 AM
Have you received your results yet?

wombatofthenorth
03-17-2017, 09:39 PM
I just mailed my Geno 2.0 NG Helix sample and I was curious if anyone has done the Helix test and if they've gotten their results, what the results (admixture, Y line, mt line) look like. Thanks!

someone posted Helix results on 23 and they used the new sub-regions
the general presentation looked pretty similar to current Geno 2.0 NG otherwise although they put some of the overview images together a bit more

jpb
03-22-2017, 12:08 AM
Nope, unfortunately. It will apparently be another 4 weeks according to Helix.

jpb
04-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Received results today, 4/22.

MacUalraig
04-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Do you get raw data? My understanding is that you don't. Love to see what results format you get ie is it the same as with the prior lab.

jpb
04-22-2017, 03:51 PM
No, it doesn't seem like you do.

Petr
04-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Reply 6 days ago:
Thank you for reaching out to Helix. Currently, Helix does not offer raw sequencing data to consumers, however, it is something we are looking to offer.

ianz91
10-06-2017, 06:26 PM
I want to do this test SOOOO badly, I keep hearing it's the best one out there. The guy behind this test, Spencer Wells, is well respected within the scientific community.

sktibo
10-06-2017, 08:38 PM
I want to do this test SOOOO badly, I keep hearing it's the best one out there. The guy behind this test, Spencer Wells, is well respected within the scientific community.

Can't tell if you're serious or not?

ianz91
10-06-2017, 09:02 PM

Umm yeah I'm serious, what? is the test bad or something?

sktibo
10-06-2017, 11:30 PM
Umm yeah I'm serious, what? is the test bad or something?

Yeah it's regarded by many as one of the worst tests you can buy. I still enjoyed it as a DNA test addict but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody

ianz91
10-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Yeah it's regarded by many as one of the worst tests you can buy. I still enjoyed it as a DNA test addict but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody

I've only tested with AncestryDNA (which I thought was the worst) and 23andme. I was going to do Geno 2.0, but I don't want to waste my money if it's really bad.

mwauthy
10-07-2017, 03:58 PM

This made me LOL! I don’t think Spencer Wells is even associated with that testing company anymore.

mwauthy
10-07-2017, 04:15 PM
I've only tested with AncestryDNA (which I thought was the worst) and 23andme. I was going to do Geno 2.0, but I don't want to waste my money if it's really bad.

I wouldn’t recommend this test. The regions are very general. For example, Northwestern Europe encompasses Norway to Ireland. Seems very similar to free algorithms such as Geneplaza or Gencove.

The only aspect of their test I like is their first and second reference populations they assign you to.

vettor
10-07-2017, 05:22 PM
I do not now about NG now , but when I joined years ago they got my Ydna SNP and mtdna marker correct , at least 2 years before any other company did..............they just lacked something other than just giving one their results.

and

They where the only ones that correctly gave me a split of 1.5% Neanderthal and 2.1% Denisovan..............other sites still combine these 2 together

ianz91
10-07-2017, 10:01 PM
I wouldn’t recommend this test. The regions are very general. For example, Northwestern Europe encompasses Norway to Ireland. Seems very similar to free algorithms such as Geneplaza or Gencove.

The only aspect of their test I like is their first and second reference populations they assign you to.

I watched this video a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q67NgyGoB9o

It's basically what convinced me to go about buying this test eventually. I don't know who to believe now.

mwauthy
10-08-2017, 04:12 PM
I watched this video a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q67NgyGoB9o

It's basically what convinced me to go about buying this test eventually. I don't know who to believe now.

I didn’t watch the whole video but I think that guy was referring to the older “Next Generation” test not the newer “Helix” test that is currently offered.

wombatofthenorth
10-24-2017, 05:29 AM

why?
ancestry comp is better than MyOrigins 2.0 and they show reference examples and it also gives haplogroups (with the best presentation of them of all the services)
although it is true that the Helix version doesn't give raw data or matching

actually almost all the tests currently have issued, 23 went to V5 which uses a new chip that only shares 20% SNPs with older chips and doesn't work well on GEDMATCH or elsewhere and even on 23 they can't phase it to prior testers; Helix offers no raw data or matching; FamilyFinder gives no haplogroups and MyOrigins 2.0 is unstable and gives some regions poor detail and they show now reference results;

momin
01-28-2018, 10:04 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie here.
I did Helix 2.0 Next Generation with the Genographic project and got my results.
It's all about Regional ancestry and Deep Ancestry.
I'm more curious about my ancestry from between 500 - 1500 years ago.
Genetic results are not available, however, They allow for download of a csv file if you agree and sign a release (see below):

"This CSV file contains the raw analytical output from your DNA sample.

I understand that the data I am about to download was generated from my DNA sample with the intent of inferring details about my ancestry and migratory history. The data file is made available to Genographic Project participants in order to allow users to explore additional details of their ancestry, using tools of their choosing. It is possible that the file may be used to analyze other aspects of your DNA, including information about your risk of developing certain diseases or whether you are a carrier for certain inherited conditions. If you choose to download this CSV file and/or to analyze your data file using software or analytic tools made available by other parties intended for reporting disease or other conditions, we assume no responsibility for any familial or medically relevant information that may be inferred through your use of such software or analytic tools. In addition, the Genographic Project cannot secure information that you download or disclose to others. We assume no responsibility for disclosure, loss, or integrity of the file after you have downloaded it.

I agree to these terms.
Submit"

Could someone please tell me if this csv file would have information for other DNA companies to give me a detailed look at my interested timeframe (500-1500 years prior to present)?

Thanks.

Amerijoe
02-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Reading the posts, the one question, is this test reliable? Review my before and after and you decide.

Here is Geno 2 Results taken around two years ago. Maternal Line J1C4, Paternal Line R-Z94

New Helix Geno 2. Maternal Line J1c, Paternal Line R-Z94

All the major testing companies put me at 90%+ British Isles.

Robert1
02-06-2018, 09:41 PM
Amerijoe, thanks for comparing two year old Geno 2 results with the new Helix Geno 2.0 NG version. That's embarrassing for them to be so different. I've also heard Geno 2.0 NG results just before the Helix take over also are quite different. Apparently Helix cut down the reference populations and gives less detail, just a broader estimate.

Amerijoe
02-06-2018, 10:27 PM
Amerijoe, thanks for comparing two year old Geno 2 results with the new Helix Geno 2.0 NG version. That's embarrassing for them to be so different. I've also heard Geno 2.0 NG results just before the Helix take over also are quite different. Apparently Helix cut down the reference populations and gives less detail, just a broader estimate.

Robert, I retook the test in order to see what the Helix platform using inputation subsets would produce. I was expecting some combination of British Ancestry along the lines of the other testing companies. Not only was there no British reference , but it seems I was booted off the Island. It was surprising in the fact the other companies either have me at zero or a very low percentage of Scandinavian. MDLP 23b results indicate 99% Frisian. Could some North European snps and German snps be misinterpreted resulting in a Danish/Norwegian combination?

Those who have taken the Helix version of Geno 2, should use at least one other company for comparison. It’s discouraging to receive results so far remove from my average breakdown. For those of us who have in their genetic makeup unknowns, this test could lead you in the wrong direction. I suggest no one purchase this test until reliability is established.

Robert1
02-06-2018, 11:22 PM
AmeriJoe, I took the Helix Geno 2.0 NG test during the holiday sale and like you got nothing specific to the UK (unlike your earlier Geno 2.0 test). I know they say these are ancient results (500-10,000 years) but good grief not even a scrap of the British Isles when I'm 95% UK!

Helix gave me nothing like my signature:

73% NW Europe
7% NE Europe
7% East Europe
5% SW Europe
3% West Mediterranean
3% Asia Minor/Caucasus

For a total of only 98%.

DNA Tribes which gives ancient results as well assigns me 56.7% Denmark so you might have something about Danish, I get very little in other tests.

Little bit
02-08-2018, 07:30 PM
I just got my Helix Geno 2.0 results. Never had Geno 2.0 before, so I can't compare, but overall I'm ok with them and they line up pretty well with my other tests. I'm glad to finally have some semblance of a prevalence for my mtdna and my reference populations line up exactly from my old deCodeMe results from so long ago. Neanderthal is 1.5%, it's 1.8% at Insitome, and 284 variants at 23andme.

ianz91
04-21-2018, 06:30 PM

Looking back on this reply, I don't agree with myself now. I take back what I said about AncestryDNA, I now regard Ancestry as the best test, period.

I recently tested with FTDNA, which was a horrible experience, it caused me great stress. My myorigins ethnicity results were off, the customer service was the worst, and the test itself felt very cheap, coming in an envelope with a piece of paper, no box or anything. The Geno 2.0 Helix test is indeed the worst, after doing some research, they test only about 145,000 autosomal snps. My 23andme experience with v4 was my first time doing dna testing, and I enjoyed it, but 23andme seems geared more towards health than ancestry, and it's becoming more and more of a medical test than an ancestry test.

wombatofthenorth
05-05-2018, 05:44 AM
Reading the posts, the one question, is this test reliable? Review my before and after and you decide.

Here is Geno 2 Results taken around two years ago. Maternal Line J1C4, Paternal Line R-Z94

New Helix Geno 2. Maternal Line J1c, Paternal Line R-Z94

All the major testing companies put me at 90%+ British Isles.

are they really so different? remember Helix has no specific British & Irish so it all can give is basically Broadly NWE and that combined category may act a bit differently.
Not one of the companies that has a B&I component can fully tell it apart from surrounding regions and pretty much everyone, except maybe the strongly Irish on some tests, gets their UK ancestry to come out as a mix of components.

uintah106
07-31-2018, 10:58 AM
I just received my maternal uncle's helix results . His mt was the same as mine as it should,his y was R U106. I'm assuming both Z381 and Z18 would have been covered in this test and he probably falls under a smaller branch of U106.

ScorpioRising
08-18-2018, 11:07 PM
I just received my maternal uncle's helix results . His mt was the same as mine as it should,his y was R U106. I'm assuming both Z381 and Z18 would have been covered in this test and he probably falls under a smaller branch of U106.

how long did it take to get the results ?

uintah106
08-18-2018, 11:48 PM
how long did it take to get the results ?

Much quicker than I thought, about 3 weeks