PDA

View Full Version : Ooga-Booga Land: A Thinly Disguised R1b Parable

rms2
01-25-2017, 12:27 PM
Ooga-Booga Land

Once upon a time, long long ago, lived a man named Robert. Robert had many sons, and his sons had many sons. Two of the many families descended from Robert and his sons were the Smiths and the Joneses. They were cousins of varying degrees, depending on their generations, but still closely related to each other. The Smith family and the Jones family, for the most part, spoke dialects of the language known as Ooga-Booga. No one knew for sure where they came from, but their language was said to be descended from an older form once spoken in a place to the east called Ooga-Booga Land. The Joneses mostly lived northwest of the Smiths in a place called Jones Land.

At some point in the distant past, the Smith and Jones families adopted an unusual burial rite. After stripping the bodies of the dead of their flesh, the mourners would incise the name “Smith” or the name “Jones” in the right femur of the deceased person, identifying him or her as a member of his or her respective family.

When archaeologists began digging in Ooga-Booga Land to try to learn more about the original speakers of Old Ooga-Booga and their culture, they began in the very eastern part. Almost all of the very ancient skeletons they unearthed had “Smith” carved very clearly on their right femurs. A few had what looked like an “S” or an “Sm”, and a few had the dim outline of what might have been a rudimentary “J”, but there were no Joneses. The western part of Ooga-Booga Land remained unexplored.

Some people believed that, since the Smiths and Joneses were cousins, since both families spoke a form of Ooga-Booga, and since ancient skeletons belonging to the Smiths had been unearthed in eastern Ooga-Booga Land, then naturally the Joneses must also have come originally from Ooga-Booga Land before moving west and settling in Jones Land.

Others disagreed, offering various explanations, some of them quite complex, for how both of these closely related families came to speak Ooga-Booga and how they wound up where they are now.

Romilius
01-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Ooga-Booga Land

Once upon a time, long long ago, lived a man named Robert. Robert had many sons, and his sons had many sons. Two of the many families descended from Robert and his sons were the Smiths and the Joneses. They were cousins of varying degrees, depending on their generations, but still closely related to each other. The Smith family and the Jones family, for the most part, spoke dialects of the language known as Ooga-Booga. No one knew for sure where they came from, but their language was said to be descended from an older form once spoken in a place to the east called Ooga-Booga Land. The Joneses mostly lived northwest of the Smiths in a place called Jones Land.

At some point in the distant past, the Smith and Jones families adopted an unusual burial rite. After stripping the bodies of the dead of their flesh, the mourners would incise the name “Smith” or the name “Jones” in the right femur of the deceased person, identifying him or her as a member of his or her respective family.

When archaeologists began digging in Ooga-Booga Land to try to learn more about the original speakers of Old Ooga-Booga and their culture, they began in the very eastern part. Almost all of the very ancient skeletons they unearthed had “Smith” carved very clearly on their right femurs. A few had what looked like an “S” or an “Sm”, and a few had the dim outline of what might have been a rudimentary “J”, but there were no Joneses. The western part of Ooga-Booga Land remained unexplored.

Some people believed that, since the Smiths and Joneses were cousins, since both families spoke a form of Ooga-Booga, and since ancient skeletons belonging to the Smiths had been unearthed in eastern Ooga-Booga Land, then naturally the Joneses must also have come originally from Ooga-Booga Land before moving west and settling in Jones Land.

Others disagreed, offering various explanations, some of them quite complex, for how both of these closely related families came to speak Ooga-Booga and how they wound up where they are now.

If only the real argument was Ooga-Booga language! We would have less problems derived from chauvinism and other nationalistic (can read iberianistic or slavistic, for the two parties)...

jdean
01-25-2017, 04:49 PM
The thing that gets on my toot is when people claim supporters of the Steppe hypothesis are just being 'politically correct', what does that even mean ????

MitchellSince1893
01-25-2017, 04:59 PM
After the last US election I thought anything having to do with Russia (location of most of the Steppes) was poltically incorrect. Wouldn't a present day social-liberal democracy e.g. California, Vermont, Sweden, or Canada be a more "politically correct" IE homeland?
:D

rms2
01-25-2017, 05:12 PM
The thing that gets on my toot is when people claim supporters of the Steppe hypothesis are just being 'politically correct', what does that even mean ????

I have not heard that one. :laugh:

Dubhthach
01-25-2017, 05:34 PM
After the last US election I thought anything having to do with Russia (location of most of the Steppes) was poltically incorrect. Wouldn't a present day social-liberal democracy e.g. California, Vermont, Sweden, or Canada be a more "politically correct" IE homeland?
:D

More PC answer is there was never any migration out of Ooga-Booga land and diffusion of language particularly the most NW branch was due to diffusion and elite-emulation with the locals adapting it because it came with the Flatpack furniture etc.

rms2
01-25-2017, 05:49 PM
I thought about adding the following account to the parable but changed my mind.

The Red Sneaker People

Archaeological excavations at sites of the famous Red Sneaker culture revealed a number of skeletons with the name Jones incised on their right femurs. Some years earlier, the late archaeologist Marjoe Jim Booty had claimed that the Red Sneaker people had come originally from Ooga-Booga Land and spread Ooga-Booga language to the west. Booty cited the similarity in the burial rites practiced by the Red Sneaker and Ooga-Booga peoples, as well as the fact both groups rode bicycles when other peoples were still using unicycles. Other experts argued that no, the Red Sneaker people had come from the very southwestern part of Jones Land to begin with, as proven by the fact that southwestern Red Sneaker people secured their famous red sneakers with Velcro straps, the more archaic method. They only learned to secure them with laces, sometimes referred to as strings or cords, later, in the east, a technique they acquired from the rough-hewn Corded Underwear people. So, even though Jones skeletons had shown up among the ancient Red Sneaker Folk, they were of little help in solving the mystery of where the Joneses had come from.

rms2
01-25-2017, 06:21 PM
I realize I am only entertaining myself, but here are a few notes on the Corded Underwear people.

Identified mainly by the presence of extreme pelvic chafing, the Corded Underwear people are known to be descendants of Robert and his sons and thus distant relatives of the Smiths and Joneses. In fact, they practiced a similar burial rite, but instead of incising the name on the right femur, the Corded Underwear people carved it into the left.

The name most often found on Corded Underwear femurs is Kowalski. ;)

R.Rocca
01-25-2017, 07:11 PM
You obviously forgot to mention the enigmatic Bell Bottom Pant Culture :D

Dewsloth
01-25-2017, 07:30 PM
More PC answer is there was never any migration out of Ooga-Booga land and diffusion of language particularly the most NW branch was due to diffusion and elite-emulation with the locals adapting it because it came with the Flatpack furniture etc.

Sadly, they left no written language...

Dubhthach
01-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Sadly, they left no written language...

of their pre-"Elite-Emulation" state sure, but after their language shift they left one made up of vertical notches on headboard of the flatpack.

http://files.prehistoricwaterford.com/200009587-1ced21de72/PC113079cs.jpg

Dewsloth
01-25-2017, 10:18 PM

^^These were found in such abundance and with so little wear that they must have had a ceremonial purpose or were used for currency.

rms2
01-25-2017, 11:40 PM
You obviously forgot to mention the enigmatic Bell Bottom Pant Culture :D

Let me guess: the name found carved into their femurs is Brady, and they are often buried in a bunch. ;)

MitchellSince1893
01-26-2017, 02:26 AM
Are you sure it carvings? It may have been teeth marks as some of our celtic/proto-celtic/pre-celtic ancestors apparently practiced cannibalism.

THE discovery of a butchered human thigh bone from the Iron Age suggests that the Ancient Britons committed acts of cannibalism as recently as 2,000 years ago.
Archaeologists who found the bone, with the remains of at least seven Celtic tribesman, say it is evidence of the most recent cannibalism in the British Isles
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/4760418/Bones-point-to-Iron-Age-cannibalism.html

In the Knovíz-culture (part of Urnfield Culture), human bones with cut-marks and traces of burning have been found in settlement pits. They have been interpreted as evidence for cannibalism. As these bones form a large part of the burials known this may have been a quite regular treatment including the ritual manipulation and dismemberment of human corpses.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urnfield_culture

rms2
01-26-2017, 02:58 PM
If memory serves me, Poseidonius wrote that the British and Irish were cannibals. I believe Strabo quoted him to that effect.

anglesqueville
01-26-2017, 03:13 PM
To everybody. One of the reasons why I love Britain is: Monty Pythons. Well, don't be embarrassed, I think I'm going to like ( even to love) this thread...
edit. jdean
The thing that gets on my toot is when people claim supporters of the Steppe hypothesis are just being 'politically correct'
You forget the cultural relativism. In my country supporters of a/the Steppe Hypothesis are said to by Nazis ( or nazi-like, or crypto-nazi, or repressed nazis, in any case not correct).

R.Rocca
01-26-2017, 04:19 PM
Let me guess: the name found carved into their femurs is Brady, and they are often buried in a bunch. ;)

Only the Iberian Ones ;)

MitchellSince1893
01-26-2017, 04:38 PM
To everybody. One of the reasons why I love Britain is: Monty Pythons. Well, don't be embarrassed, I think I'm going to like ( even to love) this thread...
edit. jdean
You forget the cultural relativism. In my country supporters of a/the Steppe Hypothesis are said to by Nazis ( or nazi-like, or crypto-nazi, or repressed nazis, in any case not correct).

You not alone. It's a favored tactic in America to refer to your political opponents as "Nazis" or "Fascists" It's done by the left and the right E.g. "Feminazis", "soupnazi"
Donald Trump is called a nazi and he tweets the CIA are like nazis.

Edit I turned this thread too dark.... back to your regularly scheduled cannibalism. :D

anglesqueville
01-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Edit I turned this thread too dark.... back to your regularly scheduled cannibalism.
I began to turn it dark. Yes, I wish to know more about Ooga Booga ( I'm already a fan).

Tomenable
02-04-2017, 08:05 PM
If only the real argument was Ooga-Booga language! We would have less problems derived from chauvinism and other nationalistic (can read iberianistic or slavistic, for the two parties)...

What was this Melnyk doing in Jones Land?:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3474-Bell-Beakers-Gimbutas-and-R1b&p=212046&viewfull=1#post212046

Sorry, he was not yet Melnyk but just Meln.

rms2
02-04-2017, 08:07 PM
What was this Melnyk doing in Jones Land?:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3474-Bell-Beakers-Gimbutas-and-R1b&p=212046&viewfull=1#post212046

Sorry, he was not yet Melnyk but just Meln.

Jones Land is much farther west than that, and I prefer Stolichnaya to Smirnoff. ;)

Ah, you switched from Smirnoff to Melnyk or Meln, and I have not tried them, if they are vodkas.

Tomenable
02-04-2017, 08:08 PM
Anyway, this Melnyk in Jones Land, in the absence of Joneses in Jones Land, is a problem. :)

Edit: I changed to Melnyk because Smirnoff is from another land. But Melnyk isn't a vodka.

I changed to a non-vodka because we need to stay sober to be unbiased. :D

rms2
02-04-2017, 08:10 PM
Anyway, this Melnyk in Jones Land, in the absence of Joneses in Jones Land, is a problem. :)

Edit: I changed to Melnyk because Smirnoff is from Smith Land.

No, it's not. Jones Land is western Europe, and I have long predicted that R1a will show up in Yamnaya, along with R1b-L51 (but we have not seen either yet).

I also think R1b-U106 will show up in Corded Ware. (Just call me Elijah: I'm a prophet.)

Tomenable
02-05-2017, 01:01 AM
I also think R1b-U106 will show up in Corded Ware.

It already did (RISE98), but what if RISE1 (Poland, Oblaczkowo) was also U106?:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3474-Bell-Beakers-Gimbutas-and-R1b&p=212157&viewfull=1#post212157

We can't check this because it is a very poor quality sample. But he could be U106.

Bollox79
02-06-2017, 03:18 AM
Fingers crossed U106 DOES show up... don't care where... just as long as it does... speaking of Poland and the Baltic and U106+ ahem... 6drif-3! 13805 whatever all that autosomal stuff means!!

Come on BB paper!!!