PDA

View Full Version : Extreme MyOrigins Differences Between Father and Son

jpb
02-08-2017, 12:53 AM
My dad's and mine MyOrigins Results are extremely different (and yes, he matches me as my father).

My dad gets 32% British Isles, 21% Western and Central Europe, 16% Eastern Europe, 16% Southern Europe, and 15% Scandinavia.
His paper trail is 35% English (Colonial), 35% German (12.5% Bavarian, 12.5% Prussian, ~10% Palatine), 25% Scottish and Scots Irish (Colonial), with the rest being Dutch and French.

I get 71% Western and Central Europe and 29% Scandinavian.
My paper trail is 35% English (Colonial), 35% German (12.5% Prussian, 6.25% Bavarian, 6.25% Saxon, with the rest being Rhinelander and Palatine), 15% Scottish and Scots Irish), 6.25% Northern Irish (ethnically Irish), with the rest being Dutch, French, Ashkenazi, and Native American.

Why are our results so different? Where do you think his Southern European and Eastern European come from?

Thank you!

Dewsloth
02-08-2017, 01:09 AM
You got your Dad's WCE and Scandi genes, and all of your Mom's, too. The EE and SE were part of the half of your Dad's that you didn't get.

For example (me and my parents):

Dad (German/English/Ashkenazi on paper):
Scandinavian 45%
South Euro 31%
British Isles 10%
West/Central Euro 2%
Ashkenazi 9%
Eastern Middle East 3%

Mom (Lebanese on paper):
Asia Minor 64%
Eastern Middle East 20%
North Africa 5%
South Europe 10%

Me (note proportions -- I do not get exactly half of each; things get crazy):
Southern Euro 29%
British Isles 14% (!)
Scandinavia 6% (massive drop! looks like some Scandi shifted to British?)
Asia Minor 33% (about half of Mom's)
Eastern Middle East 8% (also about half of Mom's)
Ashkenazi 11% (higher than my parents!)

ArmandoR1b
02-08-2017, 02:11 AM
My dad's and mine MyOrigins Results are extremely different (and yes, he matches me as my father).

My dad gets 32% British Isles, 21% Western and Central Europe, 16% Eastern Europe, 16% Southern Europe, and 15% Scandinavia.
His paper trail is 35% English (Colonial), 35% German (12.5% Bavarian, 12.5% Prussian, ~10% Palatine), 25% Scottish and Scots Irish (Colonial), with the rest being Dutch and French.

I get 71% Western and Central Europe and 29% Scandinavian.
My paper trail is 35% English (Colonial), 35% German (12.5% Prussian, 6.25% Bavarian, 6.25% Saxon, with the rest being Rhinelander and Palatine), 15% Scottish and Scots Irish), 6.25% Northern Irish (ethnically Irish), with the rest being Dutch, French, Ashkenazi, and Native American.

Why are our results so different? Where do you think his Southern European and Eastern European come from?

Thank you!

None of the tests are always 100% accurate but 23andme is better than myOrigins and AncestryDNA for both of those components and would either not show up or be in amounts that are common to people with his genealogy. I see that you posted (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3233-British-amp-Irish-23andMe-results&p=211057#post211057) that you tested with 23andme. Did you test your father there also? 23andme also uses phasing to get a more accurate result. Your father's Southern European and Eastern European will be very low at 23and,e if it exists at all since yours is so low at 23andme. Because of phasing at 23andme you won't get such a large difference in results.

Roberta Estes had Eastern European with myOrigins but none with 23andme or even AncestryDNA. https://dna-explained.com/2017/01/11/concepts-calculating-ethnicity-percentages/

LivingDNA is also pretty good with continental DNA and very good with British Isles DNA since that it what it was created for.

ArmandoR1b
02-08-2017, 02:19 AM
You got your Dad's WCE and Scandi genes, and all of your Mom's, too. The EE and SE were part of the half of your Dad's that you didn't get.

For example (me and my parents):

Dad (German/English/Ashkenazi on paper):
Scandinavian 45%
South Euro 31%
British Isles 10%
West/Central Euro 2%
Ashkenazi 9%
Eastern Middle East 3%

Mom (Lebanese on paper):
Asia Minor 64%
Eastern Middle East 20%
North Africa 5%
South Europe 10%

Me (note proportions -- I do not get exactly half of each; things get crazy):
Southern Euro 29%
British Isles 14% (!)
Scandinavia 6% (massive drop! looks like some Scandi shifted to British?)
Asia Minor 33% (about half of Mom's)
Eastern Middle East 8% (also about half of Mom's)
Ashkenazi 11% (higher than my parents!)

Each component has a different rate of reliability. The reliability of Southern European and Eastern European with myOrigins is very low because there are too many people that get those components with myOrigins but don't get them with 23andme. Those same components at 23andme are very reliable since children get about half of what the parents get for those specific components if the parents have a large amount such as 16% Eastern Europe or 16% Southern Europe. A child should at least get 5% of each of those because the autosomal DNA is so intertwined it can't miss a whole lot more than half of the ethnic DNA. For every autosomal position there are only two alleles from each parent that a child can inherit. The chances of the child only getting the alleles of the opposite autosomal DNA for that much is very low.

Roberta did a good job with her own anecdotal situation at https://dna-explained.com/2017/01/11/concepts-calculating-ethnicity-percentages/ but there needs to be lots of people with parent-child results with suspected false Southern European and/or false Eastern European that have tested with both FTDNA and 23andme that post their results for comparison.

jpb
02-08-2017, 02:39 AM
Interesting! Thank you! The EE is expected though I think because my dad has a lot of ancestry from Pomerania and many other relatives on that line get a lot of EE. I get 6% on Ancestry and 1.1% on 23andme (which comes from my mom's side).

sktibo
02-08-2017, 04:32 AM
I can't help but wonder if we don't always actually get 50% autosomal DNA from each parent

jpb
02-08-2017, 04:34 AM
Well, if anything, and this may be crazy, the ethnic DNA. I share 50% with my dad and 50% with my mom based on the matching.

ArmandoR1b
02-08-2017, 01:23 PM
Interesting! Thank you! The EE is expected though I think because my dad has a lot of ancestry from Pomerania and many other relatives on that line get a lot of EE. I get 6% on Ancestry and 1.1% on 23andme (which comes from my mom's side).Since you only get 1.1% on 23andme neither parent would get more than 5% and the total between both parents would also be 5% or less. 23andme is pretty good with Eastern European. Ancestry and FTDNA myOrigins inflate the Eastern European too often.

I can't help but wonder if we don't always actually get 50% autosomal DNA from each parentYou do get 50% of your autosomal DNA from each parent. You don't get 50% of each ethnicity but testing of some components or ethnicities from some companies are more reliable than other companies. So you have to be aware that false positives and false negatives exist with the calculators.

Well, if anything, and this may be crazy, the ethnic DNA. I share 50% with my dad and 50% with my mom based on the matching.Matching can be a clue at times.

jpb
04-06-2017, 01:45 PM
The update made things even worse...

Me:
93% European
72% British Isles
18% East Europe
3% West and Central Europe
5% Middle Eastern
5% West Middle East
Trace Results
<2% Sephardic
<2% Southeast Europe

My Dad:
95% European
83% West and Central Europe
12% British Isles
2% Jewish Diaspora
2% Sephardic
Trace Results
<2% Southeast Europe
<2% Oceania

Whoa. How can he have 83% West and Central Europe and I only 3%...Well, I did seem to get around half of his Sephardic, so that seems right. Any thoughts?

kingjohn
04-06-2017, 01:51 PM
i would say to you send emaill to ftdna
but i myself sent them and they still didn't answere
but who knows maybe you would have luck :)

about the trace regions
don't know if to pay to much attension to this or not :\
i for example have siberian in the trace regions and i do show show siberian in almost all gedmatch calculators
but how much of it is the real thing hard to tell

jpb
04-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Thank you, I might. The only crazy trace is Oceania, but the Sephardic my dad has as a non-trace region, so I don't know what to think about it. It's very consistent.

Petr
04-06-2017, 01:58 PM
The same difference in my family:

My father:
East Europe 100%

My mother sister:
West and Central Europe 52%
East Europe 41%
Southeast Europe 7%

My results:
East Europe 63%
British Isles 21%
Southeast Europe 14%

My sister:
East Europe 47%
British Isles 31%
Southeast Europe 21%

My 2nd sister:
East Europe 77%
West and Central Europe 17%
Southeast Europe 4%

Where I got 21 % of British Isles and one of my sisters 31 %?

Little bit
04-06-2017, 02:42 PM
I would say none of my 8 profiles are better with MyOrigins 2.0 but my mother's is the most extreme change:

Old:

New:

I had higher British Isles than my mom with MyOrigins 1.0 and now I've got less than her. In fact, I seemed to switch:

Old:

New:

This is what FTDNA says about West and Central Europe:

The West and Central Europe cluster consists of present day countries of France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, and Germany

The thing is, me and my mom have a German/Swiss PA Dutch Mennonite ancestor...her grandmother and my great grandmother. My dad is 100% American Colonial, no Germans or other central Europeans that I've found at all. My mom should have twice as much German/Swiss as me, which seemed to show on MyOrigins 1.0, but is lost on MyOrigins 2.0. My mom gets more German type results than me at 23andme, 20% versus my 6%, and more at Ancestry. So for us, German and UK seems mixed up.