PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA Now Accepts Ancestry v2 and 23andme v4 raw data!

jpb
02-16-2017, 03:45 PM
You can now upload Ancestry v1 and v2, and 23andme v3 and v4 to FTDNA for free to get top matches and then pay $19 to get myOrigins and other tools.

vettor
02-16-2017, 04:22 PM
You can now upload Ancestry v1 and v2, and 23andme v3 and v4 to FTDNA for free to get top matches and then pay $19 to get myOrigins and other tools.

Where did you see this ?

EDIT: found it

https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

jpb
02-16-2017, 04:24 PM
FTDNA website.

Amerijoe
02-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Also,
https://dna-explained.com/2017/02/16/family-tree-dna-now-accepts-all-ancestry-autosomal-transfers-plus-23andme-v3-and-v4/

zarkusa
02-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Did anyone tried transfer to existing FTDNA account ( one that doesn't have FF )?
Can that be done, or I need to create new one ?

evon
02-16-2017, 06:52 PM
Did anyone tried transfer to existing FTDNA account ( one that doesn't have FF )?

My account is a mixture of transferred Autosomal 23andme V3 data and FTDNA tests (YDNA and mtDNA)...

cvolt
02-16-2017, 07:49 PM

I transferred my Ancestry results to FTDNA on an existing account without testing with them :)

zarkusa
02-16-2017, 08:46 PM
I can't upload to existing account :(

Waiting for a help from customer support

deadly77
02-17-2017, 02:52 AM
I can't upload to existing account :(

Waiting for a help from customer support

I think their customer support is probably swamped. I haven't tried transfer myself. On looking at the ISOGG Facebook page the most common issue appears to be that if you have autosomal test already associated with your FTDNA account that causes problems. It won't accept upload of other autosomal data if you already have FamilyFinder tested on an account. Not sure if that is your issue or not.

geebee
02-17-2017, 03:19 AM
I tried the upload with the two of my siblings that are on the v4 chip, and it didn't seem to be a problem.

jortita
02-17-2017, 04:25 AM
I was also able to upload my Ancestry data, they have asked me to wait 24 hours for the myorigins results. Once I have them will post them and also my Geno 2.0 next gen converted to FTDNA results for comparison

shazou
02-17-2017, 05:38 AM
Also a myOrigins update in the coming weeks it appears! :)
http://genealem-geneticgenealogy.blogspot.com/2017/02/family-tree-dna-updated-transfers-from.html

BalkanKiwi
02-17-2017, 06:05 AM
I've gone and transferred my 23andMe data, simply because it's been ages since I've had some new results to look at through a company. A clear autosomal result addiction :behindsofa:

zarkusa
02-17-2017, 08:38 AM
I think their customer support is probably swamped. I haven't tried transfer myself. On looking at the ISOGG Facebook page the most common issue appears to be that if you have autosomal test already associated with your FTDNA account that causes problems. It won't accept upload of other autosomal data if you already have FamilyFinder tested on an account. Not sure if that is your issue or not.

I would also guess that autosomal results from FF would cause problems ...but that's not an issue here
I'm trying to upload 23am v4 to a ftdna account that only has y-dna tested at ftdna
Customer support actually answered very quickly :)... but no solution yet :\

I tried the upload with the two of my siblings that are on the v4 chip, and it didn't seem to be a problem.

I've uploaded one v4 result using new customer option - from my experience that works fine
option ' existing customer' gives me a trouble

geebee
02-18-2017, 01:23 AM
I have results from FTDNA's Family Finder, AncestryDNA's v1 and v2, and 23andMe v2-v3. However, to upload any of those, I'd have to create a new account and treat myself as my twin. Presumably I could do that, but I don't see any real reason to.

They've now done the processing for matching. I paid the "unlock" for each one; but $19 is sure not a bad deal, especially when it cost me $39 or more for everyone else.

I'm still waiting for MyOrigins. I'm especially interested if it shows any Native American for either of these siblings. So far, it shows NA for only my 2nd eldest brother. It does show East Asian, though, for me and for one sister -- in about the same amount as our brother's NA. Another sister gets 100% European, but it's suspiciously vague. As in, 100% "Southern, Western, and Central Europe".

My guess is that the vagueness is caused by the algorithm's failure to correctly identify the non-European portion. Not having done that, it can't quite figure out what anything else is.

It looks like it should only take another day or so for the two remaining siblings to be processed for MyOrigins.

EDIT: I don't so much mind the algorithm deciding my Native American is East Asian, except that MyOrigins only allows you to order your matches by your top three ancestries. In my brother's account, I can see all of the folks with NA ancestry that he's sharing with, ranked from highest percentage to least.

That's because NA is either 2nd or 3rd highest for my brother (Europe is highest). In my case, not only do I have EA instead of NA, it isn't even ranked 3rd -- it's 4th. (Same percentage as my brother's NA, but my 3rd must edge it out by a fraction of a percent, or else just be earlier in the alphabet.)

mlcarson
02-18-2017, 01:59 AM
I just ordered two autosomal tests from FTDNA last month for my parents -- kind of wish I would have just waited and did them with AncestryDNA and then uploaded the files to FTDNA. I guess the one big benefit of doing them at FTDNA is that they store the DNA samples so you can order additional tests later.

vettor
02-18-2017, 04:04 AM
My fathers info came in.....he only has 4 matches ( all 3rd cousin or better ..........which suits me )

I know 3 of the matches and the last I have been tracking since 2013 .............strange that this one I cannot track is a 3rd cousin for him and a 5th cousin for me

kingjohn
02-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Also a myOrigins update in the coming weeks it appears! :)
http://genealem-geneticgenealogy.blogspot.com/2017/02/family-tree-dna-updated-transfers-from.html

thanks shazou for the information
better late than never...... ;)

best regards
adam

BalkanKiwi
02-18-2017, 10:30 PM
It's been over 24 hours and I still don't have MyOrigins results. I'll assume their server is overloaded.

vettor
02-19-2017, 12:26 AM
It's been over 24 hours and I still don't have MyOrigins results. I'll assume their server is overloaded.

I thought I read that they are putting a new one ( my Origins ) out in March ...................I could be wrong, but I will recheck

MonkeyDLuffy
02-19-2017, 12:34 AM
Finally! but so far no matches for me yet. Ordered Myorigins as well. was always curious how FTDNA would show my ancestry composition.

BalkanKiwi
02-19-2017, 01:03 AM
I thought I read that they are putting a new one ( my Origins ) out in March ...................I could be wrong, but I will recheck

Indeed, however if that's the case I have no idea why they would display "Your myOrigins results are still processing. Please check back in 24 hours.". If I remember reading correctly, It'll show the broad populations but it wont give a detailed break down until the MyOrigins update is rolled out.

jpb
02-19-2017, 03:47 AM
Indeed, however if that's the case I have no idea why they would display "Your myOrigins results are still processing. Please check back in 24 hours.". If I remember reading correctly, It'll show the broad populations but it wont give a detailed break down until the MyOrigins update is rolled out.

I asked Roberta Estes and she said that they meant the current MyOrigins as the broad populations.

geebee
02-19-2017, 06:01 AM
Yes, that's definitely correct. What my eldest brother and youngest sister have each now received is basically the same version of MyOrigins as the rest of us.

I was not surprised -- though I'd hoped for better -- that in neither case was MyOrigins able to correctly identify my siblings' Native American ancestry. Instead, it was labeled as "East Asian (Northeast Asia)".

That means that out of the six of us, East Asian instead of Native American was identified for four of us. One of us is reported as 100% European (in the most generic form, "Southern, Western & Central Europe". In only one of us did MyOrigins identify any Native American.

This ancestry appears for all six of us at about 2% (plus my daughter at 1.5%) at 23andMe, and is documented. Hopefully, the coming update to MyOrigins will be better at detecting this ancestry as what it is -- though I'm actually not optimistic.

Anyway, here are the MyOrigins results for my eldest brother Bernie and youngest sister CJ:

Ann Turner
02-19-2017, 03:20 PM
I uploaded a 23andMe v4 kit for comparison with an AncestryDNA v1 kit I had previously uploaded to FTDNA. It appears that the cutoff for speculative relatives is 12.5 cM for the longest block. This removes most of the matches in the 4th to distant and 5th to distant bins.

A high percentage of those are false positives (pseudo-segments), but I did have some interesting triangulated groups in the 10 cM range. If you really want to work with segments under 12.5 cM, you will need to purchase a FF kit directly from FTDNA (or My Heritage, I presume, although I haven't spotted any reports from MH customers yet).

kingjohn
02-19-2017, 04:34 PM

thats what they say every year i hope this time
they will stand behaind there word..... :)
it will be great present for my birthday to see an update ... :)
best regards
Adam

vettor
02-19-2017, 05:40 PM
I uploaded a 23andMe v4 kit for comparison with an AncestryDNA v1 kit I had previously uploaded to FTDNA. It appears that the cutoff for speculative relatives is 12.5 cM for the longest block. This removes most of the matches in the 4th to distant and 5th to distant bins.

A high percentage of those are false positives (pseudo-segments), but I did have some interesting triangulated groups in the 10 cM range. If you really want to work with segments under 12.5 cM, you will need to purchase a FF kit directly from FTDNA (or My Heritage, I presume, although I haven't spotted any reports from MH customers yet).

This is correct, as my father and my son have only 3rd cousin or better as matches ..................in one aspect it is far better this way for research

Svabinsky
02-20-2017, 05:58 AM
I received our MyOrigins results after transferring 23andMe raw data. Here is the info for comparison purposes:

My dad's 23andMe:

Eastern European 51.4%
Ashkenazi Jewish 19.3%
Southern European 11.5%
- Balkan 9.6%
- Broadly Southern European 1.9%
Northwestern European 9.0%
- French & German 2.3%
- Finnish 0.9%
- Broadly Northwestern European 5.8%
Broadly European 8.5%
East Asian 0.1%
Broadly Middle Eastern & North African 0.1%

His FTDNA MyOrigins:

Eastern European 85%
Jewish Diaspora 15%

My mom's 23andMe:

Ashkenazi Jewish 96%
Eastern European 0.5%
Broadly Southern European 0.1%
Broadly European 3%
Broadly Middle Eastern & North African < 0.1%

My mom's FTDNA:

Jewish Diaspora 86%
Southern Europe 11%
Eastern Middle East 3%

My 23andMe results:

Ashkenazi Jewish 59%
Eastern Europe 29%
Northwestern European 4.4%
- French & German 2.3%
- Broadly Northwestern European 2.1%
Southern European 3.6%
- Balkan 2.4%
- Broadly Southern European 1.2%
Broadly European 4.3%
East Asian < 0.1%
- Yakut < 0.1%
- Broadly East Asian < 0.1%
Sub-Saharan African < 0.1%
- East African < 0.1%

My FTDNA results:

51% Jewish Diaspora
43% Eastern European
2% Scandinavian
3% Eastern Middle East
2% North Africa

The results are somewhat off. With my dad, FTDNA does not pick up his NW European ancestry. Other than distinguishing Ashkenazi, FTDNA seems to lump everything into Eastern Europe for my dad.

With my mom, the results are also odd. Ashkenazi Jews have a very unique signature so how can she be 96% on 23andMe (which would make sense as both her parents were Ashkenazi Jews) but only 86% on FTDNA? She has almost no Southern European on 23andMe and 11% on FTDNA. I asked FTDNA and they gave me some vague answer how each service uses different reference populations and therefore the results are not identical.

With my FTDNA results, how do I get North Africa and Scandinavia when my parents have 0%?

BalkanKiwi
02-20-2017, 06:38 AM
I received our MyOrigins results after transferring 23andMe raw data. Here is the info for comparison purposes:

My dad's 23andMe:

Eastern European 51.4%
Ashkenazi Jewish 19.3%
Southern European 11.5%
- Balkan 9.6%
- Broadly Southern European 1.9%
Northwestern European 9.0%
- French & German 2.3%
- Finnish 0.9%
- Broadly Northwestern European 5.8%
Broadly European 8.5%
East Asian 0.1%
Broadly Middle Eastern & North African 0.1%

His FTDNA MyOrigins:

Eastern European 85%
Jewish Diaspora 15%

My mom's 23andMe:

Ashkenazi Jewish 96%
Eastern European 0.5%
Broadly Southern European 0.1%
Broadly European 3%
Broadly Middle Eastern & North African < 0.1%

My mom's FTDNA:

Jewish Diaspora 86%
Southern Europe 11%
Eastern Middle East 3%

My 23andMe results:

Ashkenazi Jewish 59%
Eastern Europe 29%
Northwestern European 4.4%
- French & German 2.3%
- Broadly Northwestern European 2.1%
Southern European 3.6%
- Balkan 2.4%
- Broadly Southern European 1.2%
Broadly European 4.3%
East Asian < 0.1%
- Yakut < 0.1%
- Broadly East Asian < 0.1%
Sub-Saharan African < 0.1%
- East African < 0.1%

My FTDNA results:

51% Jewish Diaspora
43% Eastern European
2% Scandinavian
3% Eastern Middle East
2% North Africa

The results are somewhat off. With my dad, FTDNA does not pick up his NW European ancestry. Other than distinguishing Ashkenazi, FTDNA seems to lump everything into Eastern Europe for my dad.

With my mom, the results are also odd. Ashkenazi Jews have a very unique signature so how can she be 96% on 23andMe (which would make sense as both her parents were Ashkenazi Jews) but only 86% on FTDNA? She has almost no Southern European on 23andMe and 11% on FTDNA. I asked FTDNA and they gave me some vague answer how each service uses different reference populations and therefore the results are not identical.

With my FTDNA results, how do I get North Africa and Scandinavia when my parents have 0%?

How long did it take for the myOrigins results to appear.

MonkeyDLuffy
02-20-2017, 09:44 AM
How long did it take for the myOrigins results to appear.

It's almost been 40 hours for me and still no results.

BalkanKiwi
02-20-2017, 09:59 AM
It's almost been 40 hours for me and still no results.

3 days and counting for me.

Jessie
02-20-2017, 10:03 AM
I uploaded my mother and daughter's 23andMe. My Origins for both is 100% British Isles which is the same for me and my brother. Results took 2 days.

BalkanKiwi
02-20-2017, 10:14 AM
I uploaded my mother and daughter's 23andMe. My Origins for both is 100% British Isles which is the same for me and my brother. Results took 2 days.

I'm quite envious :beerchug: Here's hoping for some luck over the next day.

Titane
02-20-2017, 02:06 PM
I uploaded my Ancestry results into a mtDNA account and I appeared in my son's FT-DNA matches within 5 minutes. So I checked back and saw more than 600 matches. I then uploaded my mother's 23andMe file and she got more that 700 matches within 15 minutes (although their message says 24h). My son has 900 - but he was tested at FT-DNA.

My Origins? I will save my money. Amongst all 3 majors, 23andMe seems to do a better job of so-called ethnicity results. It is partially because they tapped their own clients with a -now discontinued - feature called Countries of Ancestry where they asked people where their grandparents were born. They seem to be better at Native American DNA as well.
But if you want more to your story, go to GEDmatch - it's free. They have many calculators that you can try and decide for yourself what you like best.

Svabinsky
02-20-2017, 03:07 PM
It took about 48 hours for my mom and 24 hours for my dad.

jpb
02-20-2017, 03:15 PM
It took about 48 hours for my mom and 24 hours for my dad.

When were their files uploaded? It's been 12 hours for me (so far) but when I uploaded my mom's a few days ago, hers were in within a few hours!

02-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Mine took about 24 hrs, after uploading 23andme results. took advantage of the offer to unlock myorigins, as its due for an update soon.
Interesting results:-

94% British Isles - Expected
3% Finland & Northern Siberia - Unexpected
3% Middle East - Unexpected.

Anybody else get unexpected results?

Also got 141 matches

jpb
02-20-2017, 04:50 PM
Mom got unexpected 7% Finland and Northern Siberia.

jpb
02-20-2017, 04:51 PM
sgdavies, what were your Ancient Origins?

02-20-2017, 05:53 PM
Mom got unexpected 7% Finland and Northern Siberia.

Hi hadn't really paid much attention to that... here it is:-

10% Metal Age Invader
40% Farmer
50% Hunter Gatherer
0% Non European

No idea how to interpret it though. I will try to figure it out.

jpb
02-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Interesting! I was curious what the results would be for someone from Wales. :)

02-20-2017, 06:03 PM
Interesting! I was curious what the results would be for someone from Wales. :)

Do you know how they compare to other nations? Sorry only just got into ftdna.

Titane
02-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Do you know how they compare to other nations? Sorry only just got into ftdna.
Read the book! I mean the website.

Our Family Finder also has a component called myOrigins. This component gives you a breakdown of your ethnic makeup by percent. myOrigins compares your DNA to reference populations around the world that have been tested through scientific research. Your myOrigins results can go back in time much further than your matches.
Plus all the posts here at Anthrogenica regarding reference populations...

MonkeyDLuffy
02-20-2017, 06:18 PM
3 days and counting for me.

2 days and counting. Can't believe the servers are taking that long. Also I've no match in their database.

jpb
02-20-2017, 06:30 PM
2 days and counting. Can't believe the servers are taking that long. Also I've no match in their database.

Bummer. I've been anxiously waiting 13 hours. I guess it won't be for a while...

kingjohn
02-20-2017, 07:21 PM
i asked EMILY AULICINO:

dear emily ,
kudos for your blog and work
do you happen to know when ftdna my origins will be updated {my originis version 2.0}?
in march ? in april ?
as i read this ...

http://genealem-geneticgenealogy.blogspot.co.il/2017/02/family-tree-dna-updated-transfers-from.html

her answere :

FTDNA doesn’t give any insight until they do it. I get the feeling it would be March over April, but that is an educated guess.

regards
Adam

ArmandoR1b
02-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Mine took about 24 hrs, after uploading 23andme results. took advantage of the offer to unlock myorigins, as its due for an update soon.
Interesting results:-

94% British Isles - Expected
3% Finland & Northern Siberia - Unexpected
3% Middle East - Unexpected.

Anybody else get unexpected results?

Also got 141 matches

Does the 3% Middle East show up as Asia Minor? That happens to a lot of people with only British Isles and/or north European ancestry. It's a false positive since it also happens to people that don't get it for either parents. Ethnicities aren't recessive so they can't jump generations. Your LivingDNA results (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9647-Living-DNA-Results&p=213354&viewfull=1#post213354) point to Middle East being a false positive. What are your 23andme results?

ArmandoR1b
02-20-2017, 08:05 PM
i asked EMILY AULICINO:

dear emily ,
kudos for your blog and work
do you happen to know when ftdna my origins will be updated {my originis version 2.0}?
in march ? in april ?
as i read this ...

http://genealem-geneticgenealogy.blogspot.co.il/2017/02/family-tree-dna-updated-transfers-from.html

her answere :

FTDNA doesn’t give any insight until they do it. I get the feeling it would be March over April, but that is an educated guess.

regards
Adam

FTDNA didn't give anyone an exact date with the email that was sent out to admins. The post by Roberta Estes (https://dna-explained.com/2017/02/16/all-matches-now-free-at-family-tree-dna-for-transfer-kits/) is a copy of that email and all they say is "myOrigins update will be released in the coming weeks. Until then transfers will include only broad populations".

02-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Does the 3% Middle East show up as Asia Minor? That happens to a lot of people with only British Isles and/or north European ancestry. It's a false positive since it also happens to people that don't get it for either parents. Ethnicities aren't recessive so they can't jump generations. Your LivingDNA results (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?9647-Living-DNA-Results&p=213354&viewfull=1#post213354) point to Middle East being a false positive. What are your 23andme results?

The middle east seems to be centered around Israeil, Lebanon, Egypt, and Syria. That general area.

23andme results speculative

99.9% European

Northwestern European
88.8% British & Irish
2.1% French & German
8.3% Broadly Northwestern European
0.6% Broadly European
0.1% Unassigned

ArmandoR1b
02-20-2017, 09:33 PM
The middle east seems to be centered around Israeil, Lebanon, Egypt, and Syria. That general area.
So then when you click on the + under Middle East it should have a sub-group of Eastern Middle East.

23andme results speculative

99.9% European

Northwestern European
88.8% British & Irish
2.1% French & German
8.3% Broadly Northwestern European
0.6% Broadly European
0.1% Unassigned

So neither 23andme or LivingDNA shows Middle Eastern ancestry so myOrigins is still most likely showing a false positive. This is a reason why myOrigins needs an update. Hopefully the update doesn't make things worse though.

Svabinsky
02-21-2017, 02:27 AM

Would my 2% Scandinavian and 2% Northern Africa be false positives? Neither parent has these in their MyOrigins.

jortita
02-21-2017, 02:47 AM
My results that were received around two days ago:

Central/South Asian 70%
South Asia 43%
Central Asia 27%

East Asia 25%
Southeast Asia 20%
Northeast Asia 5%

European 3%
Finland and Northern Siberia 3%

North Africa 2%

This in comparison to my Geno 2.0 next gen converted data:

Central/South Asian 68%
South Asia 42%
Central Asia 26%

East Asia 25%
Southeast Asia 21%
Northeast Asia 4%

European 5%
Finland and Northern Siberia 5%

North Africa 2%

I will post my Ancient Eurasia 6 and MDLP K16 Gedmatch Results for comparison

jortita
02-21-2017, 02:53 AM
Geno 2.0 next gen converted

Ancient Eurasia K6

# Population Percent
1 Ancestral_North_Eurasian 28.9
2 East_Asian 25.9
3 Ancestral_South_Eurasian 22.67
4 Natufian 20.59
5 Sub_Saharan 1.12
6 West_European_Hunter_Gartherer 0.82

MDLP K16
# Population Percent
1 Indian 47.76
2 SouthEastAsian 21.63
3 Caucasian 12.66
4 Siberian 4.32
5 Steppe 4.02
6 Australian 2.43
7 Oceanic 2.05
8 Neolithic 1.98
9 NorthEastEuropean 1.86
10 NorthAfrican 1.29

ADNA converted to FTDNA

Ancient Eurasia K6
# Population Percent
1 Ancestral_North_Eurasian 28.96
2 East_Asian 26.35
3 Ancestral_South_Eurasian 23.76
4 Natufian 19.85
5 Sub_Saharan 1.08

MDLP K16
# Population Percent
1 Indian 48.31
2 SouthEastAsian 21.72
3 Caucasian 12.83
4 Siberian 4.59
5 Steppe 2.93
6 Australian 2.9
7 Oceanic 2.23
8 NorthAfrican 1.99
9 NorthEastEuropean 1.06
10 Neolithic 0.99
11 Arctic 0.46

JFWinstone
02-21-2017, 09:14 AM
I transferred my mum's AncestryDNA data and her European seems a little whacky. She came out with no British at all :crazy:

02-21-2017, 09:22 AM
So then when you click on the + under Middle East it should have a sub-group of Eastern Middle East.

So neither 23andme or LivingDNA shows Middle Eastern ancestry so myOrigins is still most likely showing a false positive. This is a reason why myOrigins needs an update. Hopefully the update doesn't make things worse though.

Just checked, yes you are correct it says "Eastern Middle East"
Thanks.

jpb
02-21-2017, 02:20 PM
My transfer came out with 4% Middle Eastern. I am thinking it is my Ashkenazi ancestry and it didn't hit the 5% threshold so they labeled it as ME.

MonkeyDLuffy
02-21-2017, 03:45 PM
Finally got them, very curious about the East asian showing up, this is the first time East Asian has shows up.

http://i.imgur.com/rKOXyEf.png

ArmandoR1b
02-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Would my 2% Scandinavian and 2% Northern Africa be false positives? Neither parent has these in their MyOrigins.

Yes since it should be double for a single parent or the same for both parents for both of those.

BalkanKiwi
02-21-2017, 09:30 PM
I got in contact with FTDNA through Facebook (in my experience its a more reliable way of getting a response from them) and like I suspected, they said their server has been overloaded. She said I should have my results tomorrow. I still don't know how people have uploaded after me and have their results sooner. I thought they might have a queue type system.

Well played to everyone who has results :beerchug:

kenji.aryan
02-22-2017, 01:49 AM
Finally got them, very curious about the East asian showing up, this is the first time East Asian has shows up.

Did you get any Middle eastern?

MonkeyDLuffy
02-22-2017, 03:15 AM
Did you get any Middle eastern?

I usually dont get Middle Eastern except on wegenes. European or Central Asia is what I always score high.

kenji.aryan
02-22-2017, 03:32 AM
I usually dont get Middle Eastern except on wegenes. European or Central Asia is what I always score high.

Thanks, I asked because my parents are getting 3 % Middle eastern ( its different for both of them. One is getting Asia minor and other is Eastern middle east).
Can you expand your European component on Ftdna? I want to see what type of European component you are getting.

MonkeyDLuffy
02-22-2017, 03:37 AM
Thanks, I asked because my parents are getting 3 % Middle eastern ( its different for both of them. One is getting Asia minor and other is Eastern middle east).
Can you expand your European component on Ftdna? I want to see what type of European component you are getting.

Its Scandinavia, it wont expand more.

Ann Turner
02-22-2017, 11:17 AM
To all who are checking myOrigins: project admins received an expanded letter, quoted on Roberta Estes' blog

"myOrigins update will be released in the coming weeks. Until then transfers will include only broad populations."

https://dna-explained.com/2017/02/16/all-matches-now-free-at-family-tree-dna-for-transfer-kits/

Personally, I have so little interest in this feature that I didn't even check my results for the transfer I did to compare self-to-self for relative matches (reported upthread). But my European was broken into two categories vs four (which wasn't very accurate, either). It's probably not worth spending much time on comparing notes until the update comes out.

Svabinsky
02-22-2017, 02:59 PM
[QUOTE=Ann Turner;215734]To all who are checking myOrigins: project admins received an expanded letter, quoted on Roberta Estes' blog

"myOrigins update will be released in the coming weeks. Until then transfers will include only broad populations."

https://dna-explained.com/2017/02/16/all-matches-now-free-at-family-tree-dna-for-transfer-kits/

Is there any info as to what the update is supposed to entail?

I think MyOrigins is the worst of the four major companies (23, Nat Geo, Ancestry)....the categories are so broad...Eastern Europe, for example, extends into Germany, Austria, Sweden, the Balkans, etc. 23andMe is probably the best....for me, at least, 23andMe best reflects my paper trail....

kingjohn
02-22-2017, 04:21 PM
I think MyOrigins is the worst of the four major companies (23, Nat Geo, Ancestry)....the categories are so broad...Eastern Europe, for example, extends into Germany, Austria, Sweden, the Balkans, etc. 23andMe is probably the best....for me, at least, 23andMe best reflects my paper trail....

dna tribes win them all :)
the genetic signiture test
best regards
Adam

p.s
go to slide 22
https://www.slideshare.net/FamilyTreeDNA/autosomes-agamemnons-face
they add some new clusters:siberian, balkan , italy ,north amerindian , south amerindian , sardinian , papuan

Svabinsky
02-23-2017, 03:43 AM

dna tribes win them all :)
the genetic signiture test
best regards
Adam

p.s
go to slide 22
https://www.slideshare.net/FamilyTreeDNA/autosomes-agamemnons-face
they add some new clusters:siberian, balkan , italy ,north amerindian , south amerindian , sardinian , papuan

My dad gets about 12% Balkan on 23andMe. It will be interesting to see if his MyOrigins changes to reflect that.

BalkanKiwi
02-23-2017, 11:57 PM
Apparently my results should be done by the end of the week. It's already been a week since I uploaded. Pretty poor form in my opinion.

L1983
02-24-2017, 02:48 PM
Mum's results were availiable as soon as I paid to unlock.

VelvetNono
02-24-2017, 03:42 PM

I'm curious, what were your parents' full results?

VelvetNono
02-24-2017, 04:03 PM

Interesting you score Scandinavia rather than Eastern Europe (compared to your other tests). I score a percentage of Scandinavia from 23andMe, but in FTDNA, I scored "Eastern Europe" and "Finland and Northern Siberia" instead.

Svabinsky
02-25-2017, 04:13 AM
My brother's MyOrigins just came in and they did not strengthen my confidence in this service:

My results:

51% Jewish Diaspora
43% Eastern European
2% Scandinavian
3% Eastern Middle East
2% North Africa

My brother's:

50% Jewish Diaspora
16% Southern Europe
5% Scandinavian
29% Eastern European

Odd that I have 0% Southern Europe and he has 16%. My mom has only 11% for Southern Europe and my dad has 0%. Also, as noted earlier, neither of my parents have Scandinavia but both my brother and I do, albeit at low percentages. I have heard of siblings having some level of variation but to such a large extent?

Personally, I suspect that some of his Southern Europe is synonymous with the Jewish diaspora, as is my Middle Eastern/North African. Still, the results are odd.

Thanatos
02-27-2017, 07:43 AM
I uploaded my 23andme's results on there and here what I got ! I'm a northern french ani I don't if thats "regular results".
http://tof.canardpc.com/preview2/07d266e3-dc80-4eae-9fb2-65e50cae216f.jpg (http://tof.canardpc.com/view/07d266e3-dc80-4eae-9fb2-65e50cae216f.jpg)

BalkanKiwi
03-11-2017, 07:41 AM
504 hours later.

Original FTDNA

http://i.imgur.com/Y8nYP9Ym.png

23andMe V4

http://i.imgur.com/tjzF44qm.png

E_M81_I3A
03-13-2017, 06:39 AM
My Nephew's results using 23andme v4 data (Southern French) :

myOrigins

http://img4.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_541465FtDnaAlex.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=541465FtDnaAlex.jpg)

ancientOrigins

http://img4.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_583744FtDnaAncientAlex.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=583744FtDnaAncientAlex.jpg)