PDA

View Full Version : How accurate as testing kits? - Triplets Study.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
02-21-2017, 07:33 PM
I picked this up from ISOGG FB page. I don't know what the full conclusions are in the Inside Edition programme about to be aired I think. Are people expecting too much accuracy maybe or are they being "sold" unrealistic expectations?
Are triplicates truly genetically identical? - genuine question, I don't understand the DNA technicalities. John

Edit : sorry title should read How Accurate ARE ....

http://www.insideedition.com/investigative/21760-how-accurate-are-home-dna-ancestry-kits-investigation-uses-triplets-to-put-companies-to-themyOrigins

stev0
03-22-2017, 07:47 PM
I think that even though Identical twins/identical triplets have the same DNA, maybe the algorithms that do the percentage tests just don't come out the same way even if the same exact person submitted more than one sample to the same company.

Dewsloth
03-22-2017, 08:06 PM
My Mom and aunt are identical twins. Mom's already done FTDNA/NatGeno. If someone wants to pay for my aunt, I'll post her results! ;):biggrin1:

Too bad Nat Geno switched over to Helix right after Mom, maybe we need to retest her, also...

rod
03-22-2017, 09:33 PM
I think it's more about quality control than the identical twins/triplets being different.

I tested twice at Ancestry (same version of chip).

"twin" #1 has 17621 matches, "twin" #2 has 18242 matches.

I tested another family member twice with similar "different" results. In both cases the second test had more no-calls.

sktibo
03-22-2017, 09:45 PM
I think it's more about quality control than the identical twins/triplets being different.

I tested twice at Ancestry (same version of chip).
"twin" #1 has 17621 matches, "twin" #2 has 18242 matches.

I tested another family member twice with similar "different" results. In both cases the second test had more no-calls.

This may be off topic but your results are very interesting. They indicate a great deal of overlap between GB and Scandinavia and Ireland. It looks like 5% of your GB went into Scandinavia and 3% went into Ireland the second time. That's a bit over 25% movement within your GB category. Really, i think it could show that the Ancestry GB category doesn't really indicate much. As someone who scored 73% GB, I can't help but wonder what my results would be if I did it a second time.

Ok apologies again for off topic, just found that too interesting not to comment