PDA

View Full Version : Y-DNA in Somali Benadiris.

Deftextra
03-01-2017, 12:48 AM
Somali benadiris are a small community from the coastal citys and towns of somalia and split into many different clans and sublan which claim ancestry from mainly west-asia (paternal decent).

So, more and more peope have been testing and a pattern is emerging.
So far we have individuals with the following Y haplogroups.

R1a1a (3*), G1a(1*), L-M27(2*) and E-V32(me)

Hatimi(Who claim yemeni ancetry): L-m27(2*)
Shanshi(Who claim iranian/central asian ancestry): R1a1a(3*), G1a(1*), E-V32(me)

All these people who tested are at least 6th cousins, so they are all closely related.
Do these haplogroups fit the claimed ancetry so far? I think its impossibe to tell anything with certainty at this point, but does anyone have an opinion on these results?

drobbah
03-01-2017, 01:57 AM
I've always wondered why mixed communities like what you have down south never appeared in the great commercial centres of the North like Berbera or Zeila(Saylac in Af Somali).....

Anyways which cities specifically did Banadiris used to inhabit other then Xamar?

GarethH
03-01-2017, 07:21 AM
Somali benadiris are a small community from the coastal citys and towns of somalia and split into many different clans and sublan which claim ancestry from mainly west-asia (paternal decent).

So, more and more peope have been testing and a pattern is emerging.
So far we have individuals with the following Y haplogroups.

R1a1a (3*), G1a(1*), L-M27(2*) and E-V32(me)

Hatimi(Who claim yemeni ancetry): L-m27(2*)
Shanshi(Who claim iranian/central asian ancestry): R1a1a(3*), G1a(1*), E-V32(me)

All these people who tested are at least 6th cousins, so they are all closely related.
Do these haplogroups fit the claimed ancetry so far? I think its impossibe to tell anything with certainty at this point, but does anyone have an opinion on these results?

Did they test with FTDNA? Are the L-M27 men in the Haplogroup L Project?

Deftextra
03-01-2017, 11:22 AM
I've always wondered why mixed communities like what you have down south never appeared in the great commercial centres of the North like Berbera or Zeila(Saylac in Af Somali).....

Was in the back of my mind usually aswell. Only mention I have come across is the "The Zelawi" from zeilla on this site

http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/server/show/ConNarrative.109/chapterId/2310/outputFormat/print/The-Somali-Community-in-the-Port-of-London.html.

But I cant seem to find anything on these people, so not sure if they ever existed or still exsit.

which cities specifically did Banadiris used to inhabit other then Xamar?

There are 3 places benadiri mainly life in:Xamar, Merca and Barva. And you also have the banjuni further south.

Deftextra
03-01-2017, 11:24 AM
Did they test with FTDNA? Are the L-M27 men in the Haplogroup L Project?

All tested are from 23andMe and haplogroup assignment comes from there.

VytautusofAukstaitija
07-29-2019, 12:30 AM
Have any Benadiris tested what subclade of R1a-M17 they belong to? Is it an Iranian subclade or Indo-Aryan? I'm assuming the former. I've seen that some of their G2 (or G1?) lineages belonged to Arabian subclades.

So far - no explanation why the Benadiris seemingly have so much South Asian ancestry despite their being no record of it in Benadiri lore and genealogy. The Somali port cities in the early late modern period usually barred the settlement of South Asians, but were open to Baloch and Arab immigrant settlement. South Asian mtdna lines are common amongst the Benadiri, and it is possible alot of the R1a-M17 and L-M27 is South Asian as well, but this contradicts their strong Persianate and broadly Iranic heritage of the Benadiri, which is reflected in the toponomy of the Benadir (and the word Benadir itself), with Persian forming one of the primary substrates present in Benadiri dialects, not to mention the strong Iranian cultural influences (such as Dabshid), and the names of the early settlers, which strongly shows a largely Persian and Iranian origin for the early Muslim migrants into the Benadir, and subsequent founders of the Benadiri ethnic group. Many families claim descent not just from Persians, but from further afield in Khorasan, as their family names and recorded genealogy indicate, which makes it likely they carry more Scythian and other East Iranian related R1a-Z93, like certain R1a-Z2124 subclades such as R-YP1456 and other R-YP1558 subclades. I'd say L-M27 is evidence of likely South Asian male ancestry in Benadiris than Iranian, unless it turns out to be L-Y31213. I've also seen H, which also strongly indicates at least partial South Asian patrilineal ancestry amongst the Benadiri.

On the other hand - the Bajuun, despite speaking a Swahili dialect, are much more heavily South Asian, and are largely a South Asian-Samaal mix, with variable Bantu ancestry. I would guess they have alot of H, L-M27, and Indic subclades of R1a-Z93 in addition to E-V32.

Something interesting that no one seemingly noticed yet, but the rare non-J1-P58 Eurasian lineages in Somalis mirror that of the Benadiri strongly. The constant occurance and dominance of R1a-M17, L, and J2 in this group mirrors that of the Benadiri most closely. It seems likely that most ethnically Somali R1a-M17 and L males have Benadiri forefathers. This especially makes sense of history, as Benadiri settlers did go inland and settle amongst ethnic Somalis and married into them. Some sections of the Benadiri have in fact been assimilated wholly in Somali clans, mostly into the Somali clans of the hinterlands immediately east of the Benadir.

As for Benadiri E-V32 like yourself, many Garre and Samaal peoples have assimilated into Benadiri society hundreds of years after the Benadiri likely came into existence. Although not Benadiri, the heavily South Asian Bajuun have Garre-derived clans due to Garre clans fleeing from the southern Somali mainland and into the Bajuun archipelago due to massive ethnic Somali-Oromo-Garre-other Samaal conflicts, and primarily from Somali and Oromo expansionism coming to a head in the region, and the eventual decades of warfare which raged in the southern Somali interior in the late 17-19th centuries. There are also the Gondershe Sheikhaal, who claim descent from the ethnically Somali Sheikhaal clan who migrated from the inland Haud and trans-Shabelle region and into the Benadir, and married into the Benadiri community. Some Ajuran lineages have also been assimilated into the Benadiri, and are considered to be amongst the ranking families of the Benadiri people. I would say at minimum that some Benadiri E-V32 is not ethnically Somali, but broadly Samaal and can have origins from a myriad of Samaal ethnic groups such as the Tunni (now Somali) and Garre. But it would vary amongst the subgroup, so while I expect a large portion of Gondershe Benadiris to carry Somali paternal lineages, I wouldn't expect that of the reer Barawe. The reer Xamar would be half way, as they likely have lineages from both Somali (primarily from the Hawiye and Ajuraan clans) and the Tunni and Jiddu.

Similar but distinct from the Benadiri - the Arab Salah, who unlike the Benadiri are a single clan that is considered amongst the bilis Somali clans, are thus far wholly J1, and higher resolutions show J1-P58. They claim descent from a single Mahra male ancestor who migrated into the northern Somali seaboard several hundred years back. This clan likely has the highest J1 and J1-P58 frequency in the Horn, although their subclade needs to be clarified. I expect they might fall under the Mehri clade of J1-L93.-P58 frequency in the Horn, although their subclade needs to be clarified. I expect they might fall under the Mehri clade of J1-L93.

J Man
08-24-2019, 05:55 PM
Have any Benadiris tested what subclade of R1a-M17 they belong to? Is it an Iranian subclade or Indo-Aryan? I'm assuming the former. I've seen that some of their G2 (or G1?) lineages belonged to Arabian subclades.

So far - no explanation why the Benadiris seemingly have so much South Asian ancestry despite their being no record of it in Benadiri lore and genealogy. The Somali port cities in the early late modern period usually barred the settlement of South Asians, but were open to Baloch and Arab immigrant settlement. South Asian mtdna lines are common amongst the Benadiri, and it is possible alot of the R1a-M17 and L-M27 is South Asian as well, but this contradicts their strong Persianate and broadly Iranic heritage of the Benadiri, which is reflected in the toponomy of the Benadir (and the word Benadir itself), with Persian forming one of the primary substrates present in Benadiri dialects, not to mention the strong Iranian cultural influences (such as Dabshid), and the names of the early settlers, which strongly shows a largely Persian and Iranian origin for the early Muslim migrants into the Benadir, and subsequent founders of the Benadiri ethnic group. Many families claim descent not just from Persians, but from further afield in Khorasan, as their family names and recorded genealogy indicate, which makes it likely they carry more Scythian and other East Iranian related R1a-Z93, like certain R1a-Z2124 subclades such as R-YP1456 and other R-YP1558 subclades. I'd say L-M27 is evidence of likely South Asian male ancestry in Benadiris than Iranian, unless it turns out to be L-Y31213. I've also seen H, which also strongly indicates at least partial South Asian patrilineal ancestry amongst the Benadiri.

On the other hand - the Bajuun, despite speaking a Swahili dialect, are much more heavily South Asian, and are largely a South Asian-Samaal mix, with variable Bantu ancestry. I would guess they have alot of H, L-M27, and Indic subclades of R1a-Z93 in addition to E-V32.

Something interesting that no one seemingly noticed yet, but the rare non-J1-P58 Eurasian lineages in Somalis mirror that of the Benadiri strongly. The constant occurance and dominance of R1a-M17, L, and J2 in this group mirrors that of the Benadiri most closely. It seems likely that most ethnically Somali R1a-M17 and L males have Benadiri forefathers. This especially makes sense of history, as Benadiri settlers did go inland and settle amongst ethnic Somalis and married into them. Some sections of the Benadiri have in fact been assimilated wholly in Somali clans, mostly into the Somali clans of the hinterlands immediately east of the Benadir.

As for Benadiri E-V32 like yourself, many Garre and Samaal peoples have assimilated into Benadiri society hundreds of years after the Benadiri likely came into existence. Although not Benadiri, the heavily South Asian Bajuun have Garre-derived clans due to Garre clans fleeing from the southern Somali mainland and into the Bajuun archipelago due to massive ethnic Somali-Oromo-Garre-other Samaal conflicts, and primarily from Somali and Oromo expansionism coming to a head in the region, and the eventual decades of warfare which raged in the southern Somali interior in the late 17-19th centuries. There are also the Gondershe Sheikhaal, who claim descent from the ethnically Somali Sheikhaal clan who migrated from the inland Haud and trans-Shabelle region and into the Benadir, and married into the Benadiri community. Some Ajuran lineages have also been assimilated into the Benadiri, and are considered to be amongst the ranking families of the Benadiri people. I would say at minimum that some Benadiri E-V32 is not ethnically Somali, but broadly Samaal and can have origins from a myriad of Samaal ethnic groups such as the Tunni (now Somali) and Garre. But it would vary amongst the subgroup, so while I expect a large portion of Gondershe Benadiris to carry Somali paternal lineages, I wouldn't expect that of the reer Barawe. The reer Xamar would be half way, as they likely have lineages from both Somali (primarily from the Hawiye and Ajuraan clans) and the Tunni and Jiddu.

Similar but distinct from the Benadiri - the Arab Salah, who unlike the Benadiri are a single clan that is considered amongst the bilis Somali clans, are thus far wholly J1, and higher resolutions show J1-P58. They claim descent from a single Mahra male ancestor who migrated into the northern Somali seaboard several hundred years back. This clan likely has the highest J1 and J1-P58 frequency in the Horn, although their subclade needs to be clarified. I expect they might fall under the Mehri clade of J1-L93.-P58 frequency in the Horn, although their subclade needs to be clarified. I expect they might fall under the Mehri clade of J1-L93.

Interesting...Which groups in Somalia have Y-DNA haplogroup J2 among them?

Deftextra
10-15-2019, 12:53 AM

I have come across someone who tested at AncestryDNA, transferred to Wegene and got R1a-Y6+ as a prediction. I am not sure how accurate wegene is, but from my understanding, R1a-Y6 is mostly an Indo-Aryan branch? I think the time I wrote this I have made a typo. I meant G2a. The benadiris in the Somali project in FTDNA get assigned under the branch G-Z6552. I'm not sure how meaningfull this assignment is at that level.

This is what I found strange aswell. Almost everyone who tested are suprised at the amount of South Asian they score. From the results I have come across so far, the south-asian percentage can vary allot +/- 10% and the average is around 20%. Also, some results I have come across on gedmatch score highiger caucasian than normal which make the shift more towards Iranian populations in 4way gedmath population approximations.

Some Ajuran lineages have also been assimilated into the Benadiri, and are considered to be amongst the ranking families of the Benadiri people

Intresting, my uncle is Ajuran. I'm not that familar with the societal structures and norms among the Benadiris, but this does make allot of sense.

Ellerbe
10-15-2019, 03:48 AM
Descendants of South Asians, those who have settled in their respective countries for quite some generations now, dubiously refer to themselves as Iranian in the Persian gulf countries (like Kuwait for instance). And everyone and their mothers thinks they are actually Iranian when they look like the stereotypical Indian. My guess (who knows) is that some of the South Asians who settled in Iraq, the edges of the Arabian peninsula and Africa, passed themselves on as Iranians or some other group.

Deftextra
10-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Descendants of South Asians, those who have settled in their respective countries for quite some generations now, dubiously refer to themselves as Iranian in the Persian gulf countries (like Kuwait for instance). And everyone and their mothers thinks they are actually Iranian when they look like the stereotypical Indian. My guess (who knows) is that some of the South Asians who settled in Iraq, the edges of the Arabian peninsula and Africa, passed themselves on as Iranians or some other group.

I think its more complicated since there are actually clans that claim south-Asian ancestry. However, intermarriage between different groups and families is the norm which in some cases has blurred the lines. I'm not sure how people in south-asian in the 15th and 16th century identified as, but as you know there are many different ethnic groups on the continent and I guess they would identify more with there respective ethnic group.

Ellerbe
10-15-2019, 03:30 PM
I think its more complicated since there are actually clans that claim south-Asian ancestry. However, intermarriage between different groups and families is the norm which in some cases has blurred the lines. I'm not sure how people in south-asian in the 15th and 16th century identified as, but as you know there are many different ethnic groups on the continent and I guess they would identify more with there respective ethnic group.

Oh, I was under the impression there was none that claimed South Asian ancestry because VytautusofAukstaitija said there was no mention of South Asia in your people's genealogy and you did not correct him, so I thought you shared the same belief.

VytautusofAukstaitija
01-24-2020, 02:03 PM
Oh, I was under the impression there was none that claimed South Asian ancestry because VytautusofAukstaitija said there was no mention of South Asia in your people's genealogy and you did not correct him, so I thought you shared the same belief.

Yeah, I never knew about it. I know recent South Asian ancestry in Benadiris like grandparents, but not of clans.

It also depends on if you consider Balochis South Asian. In the Benadir they aren't considered Hindi. The Balochis in Tanzania also aren't I think.

But Deftextra - what do you know about South Asian ancestors? I know that later colonial period South Asians lived and interacted heavily with the Benadiri, but what about earlier times? Almost all the Benadiris claim Yemenite and even Central Asian (Iranic) male ancestors which made me never question further. I only sometimes heard about South Asian parents and grandparents.

I also hear some Benadiri clans became Hawiye (Abgaal?) - is this true?

There should be much more focus on South Asia now that we are likely going to see a very significant amount of South Asian ydna in Benadiris and maybe also Bajuunis and other Somalis with R1a and L-M27.

Deftextra
01-24-2020, 05:06 PM
But Deftextra - what do you know about South Asian ancestors? I know that later colonial period South Asians lived and interacted heavily with the Benadiri, but what about earlier times? Almost all the Benadiris claim Yemenite and even Central Asian (Iranic) male ancestors which made me never question further. I only sometimes heard about South Asian parents and grandparents.

I asked my parents the same question, and apparently south asians and other ethnic groups used to live in the same quarters as benadiris and sometimes marriages used to happen but was rare. I asked my mom why some sections of the family look very south Asian and apparently, my great grandfathers brother married an indian. Although, they dont identify as south Asian because of the paternal nature, they probably have elevated south-Asian ancestry. There is also similar cases with different ethnic groups like Yemeni.

Deftextra
02-02-2020, 01:58 PM
I also hear some Benadiri clans became Hawiye (Abgaal?) - is this true?

I am not sure to be honest. I heard of benadiri clans who claim somali orgin, so the reverse is not to far fetched to believe.

There should be much more focus on South Asia now that we are likely going to see a very significant amount of South Asian ydna in Benadiris and maybe also Bajuunis and other Somalis with R1a and L-M27.

Yeah, from all the results I have seen so far, all benadiris seem to cary south-asian but to varying degrees. Here is one who is on the lower end of the spectrum. He claims that all he know is that his ancestors were in Somalia for centuries, and he is estimated to be my 1st cousin twice removed or seconde cousin once removed. Still trying to figure out how we are related. He tested at Myheritage so no y haplogroup results.

Deftextra
12-07-2020, 06:54 PM
More Shanshi Y lineages I was able to find on 23andme:

(1) J-M267
(1)R-Y6
(5) R-M420 (Likely R-Y6)
(1) J-CTS5368
(1) L-M27
(3) G-PF3296
(1) E-V32.

Looks like R1a1a is Dominant.

Edit:
Corresponding mt Lineages:
(2)L3
(2)H14a
(1)L4b2a2a
(2)L0f
(1)L2a1
(1)U3a
(3)K1a1 (likely k1a12a)
(1)L0a1d
(1)M1a1

Artmar
12-07-2020, 08:53 PM

(1) J-M267
(1)R-Y6
(5) R-M420 (Likely R-Y6)
(1) J-CTS5368
(1) L-M27
(3) G-PF3296
(1) E-V32.

I wonder whether there is a possibility to re-test one of these M420 Somali with another company (like FTDNA). Safe to say that 23andMe rather tested for M417. Even if one person was M420 one would say it could have been a mistake but when few people show M420...maybe they carry YP4141: https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-YP4141/?

Coldmountains
12-07-2020, 09:28 PM
I have come across someone who tested at AncestryDNA, transferred to Wegene and got R1a-Y6+ as a prediction. I am not sure how accurate wegene is, but from my understanding, R1a-Y6 is mostly an Indo-Aryan branch? I think the time I wrote this I have made a typo. I meant G2a. The benadiris in the Somali project in FTDNA get assigned under the branch G-Z6552. I'm not sure how meaningfull this assignment is at that level.

This is what I found strange aswell. Almost everyone who tested are suprised at the amount of South Asian they score. From the results I have come across so far, the south-asian percentage can vary allot +/- 10% and the average is around 20%. Also, some results I have come across on gedmatch score highiger caucasian than normal which make the shift more towards Iranian populations in 4way gedmath population approximations.

Intresting, my uncle is Ajuran. I'm not that familar with the societal structures and norms among the Benadiris, but this does make allot of sense.

R1a-Y6 is rare among most Iranians and mostly restricted to the eastern part of the country (Khorasan, Baluchistan, Sistan). Y6 is rather typical for Baluchs, Makrani, Brahui, Pashtuns and Indians but in terms of frequency it peaks among Gedrosians. Indians are more dominated by Y7 a parallel R1a-L657 clade. But ultimately Y6 looks like a Bronze Age Indo-Aryan marker which was assimilated by Iranic people in Gedrosia and Arachosia.

Coldmountains
12-07-2020, 09:33 PM

(1) J-M267
(1)R-Y6
(5) R-M420 (Likely R-Y6)
(1) J-CTS5368
(1) L-M27
(3) G-PF3296
(1) E-V32.

Edit:
Corresponding mt Lineages:
(2)L3
(2)H14a
(1)L4b2a2a
(2)L0f
(1)L2a1
(1)U3a
(3)K1a1 (likely k1a12a)
(1)L0a1d
(1)M1a1

Fascinating to see so much Y6 brothers there ( I have an afghan Y6 lineage). Hope one of them thinks about doing a Big Y or WGS test. We really need more Y6 on Yfull and FTDNA. Based on them being so rich in Y6 i think their South Asian/Iranian ancestors most come from some place in or close to Gedrosia.

Deftextra
12-07-2020, 11:41 PM
Fascinating to see so much Y6 brothers there ( I have an afghan Y6 lineage). Hope one of them thinks about doing a Big Y or WGS test. We really need more Y6 on Yfull and FTDNA. Based on them being so rich in Y6 I think their South Asian/Iranian ancestors most come from some place in or close to Gedrosia.

I am trying to convince one of the R matches who I know personally in the family to take a big y test. Hopefully I can convince him.

Deftextra
12-07-2020, 11:46 PM
Based on them being so rich in Y6 i think their South Asian/Iranian ancestors most come from some place in or close to Gedrosia.

Yeah, autosomal DNA also points to this, not to mention some people in my family could possibly go unnoticed in some of these areas from the pictures I have seen.

drobbah
12-08-2020, 12:04 AM
Do Benadiris have more South Asian/Iranian ancestry than Peninsular Arab ancestry?

Deftextra
12-08-2020, 12:25 AM
Do Benadiris have more South Asian/Iranian ancestry than Peninsular Arab ancestry?

From the results I have seen, we seem to have more south Asian/Iranian like ancestry (at least shanshi people) than Peninsular Arab ancestry. But this can vary from clan to clan I believe. However, I have come across quite a few resus who have more peninsular Arab ancestry, but from my opinion, this is likely coming from a more recent source, In the same way that people with elevated south Asian ancestry is coming from a more recent source. But it is hard to tell since we are far from being a homogenous population.

Deftextra
12-10-2020, 01:23 AM
Based on them being so rich in Y6 i think their South Asian/Iranian ancestors most come from some place in or close to Gedrosia.

The elders usually emphasis on a Central Asian origin. The clan name is believed to be derived from the Arabic name of the region during the middle-age (and even before the Islamic conquest If I remember correctly) ash-shash.

Farroukh
12-17-2020, 04:16 AM
Some ideas about ash-Shash of Central Asia. Most probable they talked about Chach, old name of Tashkent oasis (now Uzbekistan):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tashkent#Islamic_history

diini95
12-20-2020, 03:24 AM
Do Benadiris have Southern Indian/Sri lankan ancestry?

Deftextra
12-23-2020, 05:13 PM
Do Benadiris have Southern Indian/Sri lankan ancestry?

For the fast majority of us, our south-Asian ancestry is mostly from Gedorosia/NW side of the subcontinent. If There is any southern Indian/Sri Lankan ancestry it is probably only from a select few outliers and/or is just minimal in our overall ancestry.

Deftextra
01-29-2021, 10:53 PM
I Found another E-V32 and we are from the same Benadiri clan (Shanshiyo). I matched him on all 37YSTR I tested at FTDNA.

Deftextra
01-31-2021, 04:47 AM
Found another benadiri on FTDNA. G-Y32613, he is from my mothers paternal clan who claim yemeni decend (Hatami) which looks like it checks out at this level https://www.yfull.com/tree/G-Y32613/.
Allot of Yemeni from Hadramawt on this line.

Deftextra
04-03-2021, 03:11 AM
Collected a bunch of y haplogroups from relatives on 23andMe. They are all Benadiri, but do not know their clans or sub clans. The majority of them are from Mogadishu, but there is quite a few from baraawe and merka.

Also, because the user of this account is shanshi, R haplogroups might be over represented from the actual total.

There are probably also a few bandaris who might be Somali and are recently admixed with Benadiris or are Benadiris of Somali origin.

R-M417 = 5
J-CTS5368 = 5
R-Y6 = 4
G-PF3296 = 4
E-V32 = 4
E-M78 = 1
G-L30 = 2
L-M27 = 4
J-M267 = 2
R-Y7 = 1
E-Z1902 = 2
E-M5021 = 1