PDA

View Full Version : LivingDNA v Paper

simdadams
03-02-2017, 06:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone new of a Gedcom analysis tool that would take gedcom locations and produce a similar statistical breakdown of regions for comparison or is it a case of good old spreadsheet and arithmetic ?

greerpalmer
07-03-2017, 05:59 PM
I've heard some offline software does this but I have yet to find freeware capable of doing so. I'd love to find out as most of my lines split quite a bit 400 years back.

deadly77
07-03-2017, 09:02 PM
I did my calculated percentage mostly by hand with a little bit of excel - assigning 1.56% for each of my 64 gggg-grandparents and adding them up in an excel spreadsheet. Since I had a few unknowns at that generation I also did the same thing assigning 3.12% for each of my 32 ggg-grandparents.

Although a few things will skew this - one is that I may not inherit exactly 3.12% from each ggg-grandparent. Another point that I took from Garett Hellenthal's WDYTYA presentation was that the LivingDNA results show where you share DNA with people in locations in the present day, so LivingDNA isn't really where you are from - descendants of your ancestors could have moved to different locations and that will show up in your regions.