PDA

View Full Version : East African vs West African

JFWinstone
03-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Which company do you think is best for East African DNA? So far I've tested myself with 23andme, Ancestry, FTDNA and uploaded to gedmatch, DNA.land, DNA tribes and Wegene. Tested mum with Ancestry and FTDNA plus uploaded to the above sites, also had Doug McDonald look at mum's DNA. As far as we know our Mauritian African came from Malagasy and Mozambique slaves yet the overwhelming majority of our DNA has been picked up as West African. We do get some South Eastern Bantu. Just curious at the low amount of East Africa. My mum does get about 6% East Africa on DNA.land. The only analysis of our African that looks close is DNA tribes 14384

Deftextra
03-06-2017, 01:02 AM
23andMe is pretty decent for East-africans, since it also covers the Horn. But south-east-africans typically score a fair amount of west-african compents, because of the bantu migration. But this varies from region to region I guess.

JFWinstone
03-06-2017, 01:34 AM
I might get some more of my mum's family tested on 23andme then.

Angoliga
03-07-2017, 01:23 AM
Which company do you think is best for East African DNA? So far I've tested myself with 23andme, Ancestry, FTDNA and uploaded to gedmatch, DNA.land, DNA tribes and Wegene. Tested mum with Ancestry and FTDNA plus uploaded to the above sites, also had Doug McDonald look at mum's DNA. As far as we know our Mauritian African came from Malagasy and Mozambique slaves yet the overwhelming majority of our DNA has been picked up as West African. We do get some South Eastern Bantu. Just curious at the low amount of East Africa. My mum does get about 6% East Africa on DNA.land. The only analysis of our African that looks close is DNA tribes 14384

If you're looking for the best breakdown of your modern East-African ancestry with a major company, you're clearly right, DNA Tribes offers the most diversified clusters -- their African Great Lakes, and Nilotic clusters aren't currently represented as individual affinities with the big 3 companies.

The price seems a bit hefty for me, especially when converting into CAD$ but I guess it's worth it -- I think I'll give it a go before year's end. I'm very curious to see the breakdown.

JFWinstone
03-07-2017, 01:31 PM
23andme is 149 which is quite a lot, might get my mother's brother tested there so can get his Y haplogroup as that'll tell me more than getting mum re-tested as it was their father that was Mauritian.