PDA

View Full Version : Middlesbrough DNA on Ancestry

MacUalraig
03-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Middlesbrough is really taking off on Ancestry, I now have three tree-confirmed DNA matches to my gf's line, the Brittains of Middlesbrough. If only some of my other lines were doing that well!

Of course Middlesbrough is a fairly recent place, similar to my ancestry from Lennoxtown but even more extreme...

"By 1851 Middlesbrough's population had grown from 40 people in 1829 to 7,600 and it was rapidly replacing Stockton as the main port on the Tees. An old Teesside proverb had proven true; -

"Yarm was, Stockton is, Middlesbrough will be ""

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/Middlesbrough.html

corner
03-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Middlesbrough is really taking off on Ancestry, I now have three tree-confirmed DNA matches to my gf's line, the Brittains of Middlesbrough. If only some of my other lines were doing that well!

Of course Middlesbrough is a fairly recent place, similar to my ancestry from Lennoxtown but even more extreme...

"By 1851 Middlesbrough's population had grown from 40 people in 1829 to 7,600 and it was rapidly replacing Stockton as the main port on the Tees. An old Teesside proverb had proven true; -

"Yarm was, Stockton is, Middlesbrough will be ""

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/Middlesbrough.htmlI'm from just down the coast and lived there for a while. Yes, it's pretty new with people from all over Britain, Ireland and abroad moving there in the nineteenth century. I have a book by David Simpson called Northern Roots.

Nineteenth century census statistics show the population as being 25 in 1801 and 91,301 by 1901.

In 1871 the population of Middlesbrough was just under 40,000. 3,000 were born in Ireland, 1,531 Wales, 1,368 Scots, 1,169 West Midlands, 600 overseas. There were some from Cornwall (including my grandmother's grandfather) and others came from depressed agricultural regions, like East Anglia.

MacUalraig
03-10-2017, 08:29 PM
Yes I have to keep reminding myself that the Middlesbrough reg district didn't split off from Stockton until 1875. Pretty impressive growth. We were from Loftus before that.

Are you on GEDMatch by any chance? pm if you like.

deadly77
03-14-2017, 06:52 AM
I'm from Newcastle a bit further up the coast. I don't have any direct ancestors from Middlesbrough, but one branch of my Irish and Scottish ancestors passed through there from Barrow-in-Furness long enough to have three children born there in the 1890s before moving up to Jarrow.

Good local pub near me where I live now in California run by a family from Middlesbrough.