View Full Version : how does it work for Ftdna for mtdna

vettor
03-11-2017, 05:34 PM
I have recently received my second match
so now I have

HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions - 2 Matches
Genetic Distance Name Most Distant Ancestor mtDNA Haplogroup Match Date
3 Maarit Ströberg
3 Mrs. Elli Aino Sofia Luomanaho FMS Margareta Hokansdotter; b.1630; Ljungby Sweden

In ftdna for, H95a -A10403G T14025C G15314A
I get.
Madalena CANDERAN, b. 1805 Tramonti di Sopra
Riosa Pelizzon, b.1701 Maser, Veneto
Margareta Hokansdotter; b.1630; Ljungby Sweden

why do they not match in both ftdna system ? ..............Is it just a testing issue?

BTW - Riosa is my line

Saetro
03-12-2017, 01:41 AM
I have recently received my second match
so now I have

HVR1, HVR2, Coding Regions - 2 Matches
Genetic Distance Name Most Distant Ancestor mtDNA Haplogroup Match Date
3 Maarit Ströberg
3 Mrs. Elli Aino Sofia Luomanaho FMS Margareta Hokansdotter; b.1630; Ljungby Sweden

In ftdna for, H95a -A10403G T14025C G15314A
I get.
Madalena CANDERAN, b. 1805 Tramonti di Sopra
Riosa Pelizzon, b.1701 Maser, Veneto
Margareta Hokansdotter; b.1630; Ljungby Sweden

why do they not match in both ftdna system ? ..............Is it just a testing issue?

BTW - Riosa is my line

Vettor, I will have a stab at answering that.
For now, let's assume that FTDNA knows what it is doing.

The H95a group will consist of people who fit into that category (and, I presume the subcategory A10403G T14025C G15314A).
Some of these people may be more than GD=3 from you, so will have been excluded from your matches (GD=3 limit)
You can't work out exactly how they are similar and different because of the exclusion of viewing of coding area SNPs from general viewing.
Although the group admin has used some to set up your sub category A10403G T14025C G15314A.

Good luck with your research.
I find no benefit at looking at matches at GD=3.
My MRCA with them is almost certainly before the Normans and most likely before the AngloSaxon and Viking invaders of Britain, where my mtDNA line comes from.
At GD=0 my matches are at least geographically nearby the oldest known or likely ancestors on that line.
In theory, GD=0 are said to be 50% likely to be within 125 years of my birth, so around 1830 on.
But being a colonial Australian, that line left about then: 1840.
My oldest known ancestor was born circa 1780 and the MRCA with GD=0 was probably at least one generation if not a century further back.

In my own experience and that of Australian friends who use mtDNA, GD=3 will give you 1)continent 2)good guide as to region and country 3)no guide as to internal region 4)no useful guide as to name. Those with a match along a continuous, documented female line from Carolingians or Byzantium may differ.
But there are way more H6a's than H95a's and that rarity will help you.

vettor
03-12-2017, 02:09 AM
Vettor, I will have a stab at answering that.
For now, let's assume that FTDNA knows what it is doing.

The H95a group will consist of people who fit into that category (and, I presume the subcategory A10403G T14025C G15314A).
Some of these people may be more than GD=3 from you, so will have been excluded from your matches (GD=3 limit)
You can't work out exactly how they are similar and different because of the exclusion of viewing of coding area SNPs from general viewing.
Although the group admin has used some to set up your sub category A10403G T14025C G15314A.

Good luck with your research.
I find no benefit at looking at matches at GD=3.
My MRCA with them is almost certainly before the Normans and most likely before the AngloSaxon and Viking invaders of Britain, where my mtDNA line comes from.
At GD=0 my matches are at least geographically nearby the oldest known or likely ancestors on that line.
In theory, GD=0 are said to be 50% likely to be within 125 years of my birth, so around 1830 on.
But being a colonial Australian, that line left about then: 1840.
My oldest known ancestor was born circa 1780 and the MRCA with GD=0 was probably at least one generation if not a century further back.

In my own experience and that of Australian friends who use mtDNA, GD=3 will give you 1)continent 2)good guide as to region and country 3)no guide as to internal region 4)no useful guide as to name. Those with a match along a continuous, documented female line from Carolingians or Byzantium may differ.
But there are way more H6a's than H95a's and that rarity will help you.

Thanks

Both of these ( Gd = 3 ) are finnish-swedes .............but they are not part of the 17 x H95a from here

http://haplogroup.org/mtdna/rsrs/l123456/l23456/l2346/l346/l34/l3/n/r/r0/hv/h/h95/h95a/

who are all only Italian or USA ( could be from anywhere in Europe or elsewhere )

The only person I can contact and spoken to is the Calderan person , who now lives in Alsace ( france ) , but her grandparents where from the Italian Alps ...............we cannot find a link in anything from 1750 to present

Is there a way in finding out who these "Hapxxxxxx" numbered people are from the link I provided?

Judith
03-12-2017, 02:24 PM
You will find that ftdna need to update their long time general guidance of 50% chance of a common ancestor at GD=0 since it is MUCH too optimistic
What they said on the top of the project results sheet a few weeks ago is very much more scientifically accurate.
"In general if you have a common maternal line ancestor within 15 generations these you should be GD=0", but it no longer says that, which is sad because this change in guidance is for the worse.
When you get some GD=0 matches then it gets more interesting. You ought to get Italians and possibly a region match. We nearly all have extra mutations to those which define an HG and there is plenty of time to generate them, and eventually will create more sub-clades.
What are you looking to find on your maternal line?

Saetro
03-12-2017, 08:18 PM
Is there a way in finding out who these "Hapxxxxxx" numbered people are from the link I provided?

No, I don't think so.
My understanding is that ID has been anonymised deliberately so that you cannot find out who this is.
Otherwise many people will not share their data.
The best you can do is to do a shout out at whatever forums you can find, saying that you are looking to find out more in general terms about an ancestor who is H95a, and would any of these people in the study please contact you.
I have seen messages of that nature, but have no idea whether they were successful.

I have heard of success (and found some myself) by looking through my GEDmatch autosomal matches down to small matches, looking for anyone who matches me on my mtDNA Haplogroup. And even then, the mtDNA match was back before 1750 - beyond our trees.

Judith (#4 above)
You will find that ftdna need to update their long time general guidance of 50% chance of a common ancestor at GD=0 since it is MUCH too optimistic
What they said on the top of the project results sheet a few weeks ago is very much more scientifically accurate.
"In general if you have a common maternal line ancestor within 15 generations these you should be GD=0"

That estimate makes much more sense, although it looks like a re-expression of the old - out to 80 or 90% of matches.
Almost all of my matches are with colonials of my own and other countries (USA, Canada, usually).
Any match will be before any of our mtDNA lines emigrated, and turns out to be beyond our pedigree trees.
And the same for everyone I know.
Until now, I thought the estimate had been based on matches of people within the USA - many of who have their lines within USA since the 1600s.
Therefore I and my friends were different.
Now I believe we are more typical.

Judith
03-13-2017, 08:58 AM
What I should have added is withGD=3 it is really not worth trying to find a common ancestor since it could be a few thousand years, (again ftdna need to update their guidance). Like most people on this forum I am fascinated by prehistory, so for me trying to figure out migrations is good, but not as genealogy.
My 111 H4 GD=3 matches are literally from all over Europe (and USA) but I hope when I get a GD=0 then she is near my English region. I am trying to confirm my maternal line instead through testing a paper trail cousin using aDNA.

GailT
03-13-2017, 07:14 PM
What I should have added is withGD=3 it is really not worth trying to find a common ancestor since it could be a few thousand years, (again ftdna need to update their guidance).

While this is true in most cases, there are exceptions. One of my projects has 3 family members who all tested the full sequence. One daughter is a 3 step match to her mother and a 4 step match to her sister. While one daughter did have a new coding region mutation, the problem is that FTDNA counts common mutations and heteroplasmies as steps, so there is a possibility that multistep matches can be recently related. My advice is to look at all of your matches and check for any from the same area as your maternal line.