PDA

View Full Version : Received my book today

chelle
03-15-2017, 03:25 AM
It was a bit anticlimactic I am sad to say. I was really hoping the book would be more complete and personal. It came with my initial results, no subclade of my mtdna line and basically mostly a rehash of the blurbs about each area they have on the website. Don't get me wrong; I do think those are nice to have and it does list a bit about the science of it all. However, for the price and touting it as being "the story of your ancestry", it feels very generic to me and not nearly as detailed to each person as you would be led to believe. The positives are, it is a beautiful book and about three pages of it are personalized to the individuals results. I am sure it will be nice to sit and read it in book format instead of the web site later with a warm drink, or when future generations are curious about their ancestry.

AnnieD
03-15-2017, 03:52 AM
I am old enough to still enjoy the feel of a good, old-fashioned book in my hands. I had a similar reaction when I received "the story of my ancestry" but overall was quite pleased to have the tangible memento to add to my book-shelf. B)

chelle
03-15-2017, 04:05 AM
I think I would have enjoyed it more, if I did not have 15% unassigned Europe and 2.1% unassigned world. ;)

AntG
03-17-2017, 03:01 PM
The main thing that put me off the book is that our DNA results are expected to be continually refined so the book will end up out of date...

AnnieD
03-18-2017, 05:52 PM
The main thing that put me off the book is that our DNA results are expected to be continually refined so the book will end up out of date...

Great point, AntG. I wonder if the rather flimsy (imo) cover design means that they can afford to send a new version if our results change dramatically? I suspect that eventually they will be able to extend my MtDNA a few subclades as FTDNA and Britain's DNA has done. However, I could live with just the main subclade listed. OTOH, if they start drastically changing my Scottish %, those would be 'fighting words' :fencing:as I have some die-hard Scots on 1 family line. ;)

sktibo
03-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Weird.. I got a book I didn't order from them. I hope it's not too much of a loss to print them as I didn't pay anything for it. If anyone has a parcel and they didn't order or aren't expecting anything, could be a living DNA book.