Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ligures: Significant factor in how U152 got into Sardinia, Iberia, Sicily, and N. Af

  1. #1
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,413
    Sex
    Location
    Tierra de Ayllon
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bt
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

    England Scotland Wales Germany Ireland Sweden Finns

    Ligures: Significant factor in how U152 got into Sardinia, Iberia, Sicily, and N. Af

    North Africa?

    I was pondering how U152》(EDIT) Z142 ended up in Sardinia, trying to determine if there was evidence of Celtic tribes ever in Sardinia; when I came across the Corsi tribe (where Corsica gets its name).
    The Corsi were an ancient people of Corsica and Sardinia, noted by Ptolemy
    Some sources consider the Corsi to be Ligurian.
    According to historian Ettore Pais and archeologist Giovanni Ugas, the Corsi probably belong to the Ligurian people.
    And Ligurians in turn are sometimes called the Celto-Ligurians.
    Because of the strong Celtic influences on their language and culture, they were known already in antiquity as Celto-Ligurians
    The Ligurians were known to have spread into Iberia

    The Periplus of Pseudo-Scylax describes the Ligyes (Ligures) as...intermingled with the Iberians from the Rhone to Emporion in Spain
    and,

    The Ligures seem to have been ready to engage as mercenary troops in the service of others. Ligurian auxiliaries are mentioned in the army of the Carthaginian general Hamilcar in 480 BC.[8] Greek leaders in Sicily continued to recruit their mercenary forces from the same quarter as late as the time of Agathocles.
    Last edited by MitchellSince1893; 03-21-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Changed Z150 to Z142
    Y DNA line continued: Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    35% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 5% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

     Ravai (03-22-2017)

  3. #2
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,992
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Iberian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152+L2+FGC10543
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1-T152C!

    United States of America Italy 1861-1946 Spain
    You have several questions...

    1. No, Celts were never in Sardinia.
    2. The Corsi were likely a Ligurian tribe. The Ligurians themselves (likely) spoke an Indo-European that was an intermediate between Celtic and Italic.
    3. As per Francalacci (2015), only 6 of 1200 Sardinian males (a statistically minuscule 0.005) were Z142. I don't think Z150 was in their coverage range as testing was low coverage. Given this point, I don't think one can say for sure that any single culture contributed Z142 greatly to Sardinia. Perhaps one came with Ligures, one with Romans, one during the Middle Ages, etc. Also, some could belong to a more recent founder effect.

    Also, from Boattini (2013), we have the following two Sardinian sites:

    OlbiaTempio/Nuoro
    5 of 40 = U152 All = 12.5%
    2 of 40 = L2 All = 5%

    Oristano
    3 of 42 = U152 All = 7.1%
    0 of 42 = L2 All = 0%

    Again, at this time it is very difficult to say how these samples got to Sardinia without ancient DNA sampling.
    Last edited by R.Rocca; 03-21-2017 at 07:04 PM.
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543 >> PR5365, Pietro Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

     Agamemnon (03-22-2017),  Kwheaton (04-12-2017),  Megalophias (03-21-2017),  MitchellSince1893 (03-21-2017),  Ravai (03-22-2017),  vettor (03-22-2017)

  5. #3
    Registered Users
    Posts
    4,413
    Sex
    Location
    Tierra de Ayllon
    Y-DNA (P)
    U152>L2>Z49>Z142>
    mtDNA (M)
    H1bt
    Y-DNA (M)
    I2a2a1b2a1b1>Y4925
    mtDNA (P)
    H37

    England Scotland Wales Germany Ireland Sweden Finns
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Rocca View Post
    You have several questions...

    1. No, Celts were never in Sardinia.
    2. The Corsi were likely a Ligurian tribe. The Ligurians themselves (likely) spoke an Indo-European that was an intermediate between Celtic and Italic.
    3. As per Francalacci (2015), only 6 of 1200 Sardinian males (a statistically minuscule 0.005) were Z142. I don't think Z150 was in their coverage range as testing was low coverage. Given this point, I don't think one can say for sure that any single culture contributed Z142 greatly to Sardinia. Perhaps one came with Ligures, one with Romans, one during the Middle Ages, etc. Also, some could belong to a more recent founder effect.

    Also, from Boattini (2013), we have the following two Sardinian sites:

    OlbiaTempio/Nuoro
    5 of 40 = U152 All = 12.5%
    2 of 40 = L2 All = 5%

    Oristano
    3 of 42 = U152 All = 7.1%
    0 of 42 = L2 All = 0%

    Again, at this time it is very difficult to say how these samples got to Sardinia without ancient DNA sampling.
    Doing it from memory...I meant Z142 instead of Z150.

    Understand Celts were not in Sardinia, but what about their precursor Italo-Celtic ancestors that might have later included the Ligurians? Just trying to find historic rationale for Z142 and U152 in Sardinia, but as you said we aren't there yet without ancient dna.

    What are your thoughts on whether the Ligurians and Celts had a shared Italo-Celtic ancestry? Some language experts attempt to link the Ligurians to the Celts in some way based on language similarities.

    Just wondering if some of these this proto Italo-Celtic people rich in U152 ended up being Ligurians (at least part of them), and they (and U152) entered Sardinia via Corsi, and via Sicily and North Africa possibly by means of Lingurian mercenaries. Of course no one knows the answer to this, but the Ligurians seem to fit the bill for the reasons previously mentioned.

    As I look at the geographic dispersal of U152 throughout Europe and how many of the U152 subgroups have similar distributions to U152 as a whole (spread over much of Western Europe), I can't help but think that while they may have been earlier groups that spread out from the U152 homeland, the vast majority of U152 stayed in close proximity to one another, mixing among themselves before rapidly expanding in multiple directions in successive waves.

    The following maps attempt to capture this concept.
    Map 1: ~2400 BC. U152 slowly radiates/grows from a central area. Some small groups of early subclades (descendants of L2 ZZ45, Z56, etc) may expand further out from this core area
    Map 2: ~2000 BC (don't get hung up on dates...they are just place holders) Most of L2 descendants continue to stay close to home, slowly growing in size and expanding territory. Arrows indicate that it's possible some exclusively L2 groups leaving the core area.
    Map 3: ~2000 BC. Same thing for ZZ45 (parent of Z36 and others). While some small groups may leave the core area, most ZZ45 descendants grow and intermix with L2 and other U152 subclades
    Map 4&5: ~2000 BC ditto for Z56 and PF6658, some small groups may leave the core area, but most descendants stay near home and intermix with other U152 subclades
    Map 6: ~2000 BC is showing that as these subclades intermix in the core area, the groups leaving were intermixed (purple) with multiple subclades represented i.e. you typically aren't going to have an exclusively L2 group leaving. It may have some ZZ45 and Z56 among them. This is not to say that some groups may be mostly of a certain subgroup.
    Map 7 & 8: ~1300 BC and 800-200 BC is showing how these intermixed groups would leave the core area in successive waves overtime.

    Last edited by MitchellSince1893; 03-22-2017 at 12:08 PM.
    Y DNA line continued: Z142>Z12222>FGC12378>FGC12401>FGC12384
    35% English, 26% Scot/Ulster Scot, 14% Welsh, 14% German, 5% Ireland, 3% Nordic, 2% French/Dutch, 1% India
    Hidden Content

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MitchellSince1893 For This Useful Post:

     Kwheaton (04-12-2017),  Ravai (03-22-2017)

  7. #4
    Registered Users
    Posts
    530
    Sex

    United States of America Catalonia Spain
    Doing a follow up in time and space I thought it might be of interest bring this fairly new find of a place in Catalonia, http://www.arbeca.cat/turisme.php?cs=4 , a so called Iberian fortress dated 800 BC, I had a chance to visit an expo in the MAC (Archaeological Museum of Catalonia). From the top of my head, it was classified as Urnfield, with some quite interesting findings.

    I wonder if there is a connection.

    Below some images of the fortress, a burial of a horse fetus and some statistics.

    As you can see, the horse was part of the culture but not in a predominant way, so apart for a cult burial I wonder if it was just cultural influence and not an actual movement of people.




  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Isidro For This Useful Post:

     bix (03-22-2017),  MitchellSince1893 (03-21-2017),  Ravai (03-22-2017)

  9. #5
    Registered Users
    Posts
    530
    Sex

    United States of America Catalonia Spain
    here is more about horses and Ligurians:

    https://books.google.es/books?id=_4M...horses&f=false
    Last edited by Isidro; 03-22-2017 at 12:13 AM.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isidro For This Useful Post:

     MitchellSince1893 (03-22-2017),  Ravai (03-22-2017)

  11. #6
    Registered Users
    Posts
    3,992
    Sex
    Location
    USA
    Ethnicity
    Italo-Iberian
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-U152+L2+FGC10543
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1-T152C!

    United States of America Italy 1861-1946 Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    What are your thoughts on whether the Ligurians and Celts had a shared Italo-Celtic ancestry? Some language experts attempt to link the Ligurians to the Celts in some way based on language similarities.
    Sometimes these hybrid people sit linguistically between two people. This is not uncommon... as a modern example, Portuņol is spoken on the borders between Spanish speaking South American countries and Portuguese speaking Brazil...



    I would only guess that there were U152+ Italo-Celtic speakers that entered Italy at some point during the Early Bronze Age. They would then fuse with local people to form Proto-Italic. I suspect this may have been largely Z56 and PF6658 though, although some L2 subclades may have been involved as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellSince1893 View Post
    Just wondering if some of these this proto Italo-Celtic people rich in U152 ended up being Ligurians (at least part of them), and they (and U152) entered Sardinia via Corsi, and via Sicily and North Africa possibly by means of Lingurian mercenaries. Of course no one knows the answer to this, but the Ligurians seem to fit the bill for the reasons previously mentioned.
    Based on unpublished data, the core area where the Liguri Apuani tribe lived (Garfagnana) has a very large modern frequency of U152+Z56+. I think that Z56 is more likely to have expanded from somewhere around NW Italy or south-east France than anywhere central.

    Z36 may have been the main marker of the Lepontii, which clearly spoke a Celtic language and inhabited NW Italy and southern Switzerland. They were there even before the famous Celtic invasions of Italy. L2 is obviously too old and too diverse to have been just Celtic or just Italic.
    Last edited by R.Rocca; 03-22-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    Paternal: R1b-U152 >> L2 >> FGC10543 >> PR5365, Pietro Rocca, b. 1559, Agira, Sicily, Italy
    Maternal: H4a1-T152C!, Maria Coto, b. ~1864, Galicia, Spain
    Mother's Paternal: J1+ FGC4745/FGC4766+ PF5019+, Gerardo Caprio, b. 1879, Caposele, Avellino, Campania, Italy
    Father's Maternal: T2b-C150T, Francisca Santa Cruz, b.1916, Garganchon, Burgos, Spain
    Paternal Great (x3) Grandfather: R1b-U106 >> L48 >> CTS2509, Filippo Ensabella, b.~1836, Agira, Sicily, Italy

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to R.Rocca For This Useful Post:

     Cascio (12-19-2018),  haleaton (03-22-2017),  Kwheaton (04-12-2017),  MitchellSince1893 (03-22-2017)

  13. #7
    Registered Users
    Posts
    530
    Sex

    United States of America Catalonia Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Isidro View Post
    Doing a follow up in time and space I thought it might be of interest bring this fairly new find of a place in Catalonia, http://www.arbeca.cat/turisme.php?cs=4 , a so called Iberian fortress dated 800 BC, I had a chance to visit an expo in the MAC (Archaeological Museum of Catalonia). From the top of my head, it was classified as Urnfield, with some quite interesting findings.

    I wonder if there is a connection.

    Below some images of the fortress, a burial of a horse fetus and some statistics.

    As you can see, the horse was part of the culture but not in a predominant way, so apart for a cult burial I wonder if it was just cultural influence and not an actual movement of people.
    A quick follow up upon reading more info on this amazing place, the horse might have played a big part in their life. It turns out that they have found -so far- 14 to 15 buried fetuses ( not just one) over the life of the fortress, the writers imply that as a tip of the iceberg, although the fortress itself was not designed to raise them but the surroundings are well suited.
    This is 700-800 BC, no point to discuss horse domestication origins, I do wonder though if there is anything similar in the Urnfield period studies and how is related.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 77
    Last Post: 10-17-2019, 08:39 AM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 12-21-2018, 12:35 AM
  3. U152 and Ligures - Capocasa et al. (2014)
    By R.Rocca in forum R1b-U152
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 01-26-2016, 01:39 PM
  4. U152 in Sardinia - Francalacci et al. 2013
    By R.Rocca in forum R1b-U152
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM
  5. U152 in Iberia and the Pyrenees region
    By TigerMW in forum R1b-U152
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •