Y-DNA (P)
    I1-Z17954>A8096
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e1a
    mtDNA (P)
    H6

France Lyon France Germany Byzantine Empire

Warrior Gene

I would like to know where it came from, historically (which peoples). Is there a distribution map?
    V2 K15 (Average France) => North Sea : 27.46 (28.25) - Atlantic : 21.26 (26.05) - West Med : 19.05 (15.53) - Baltic : 9.17 (8.22) - Eastern Euro : 8.80 (6.32) - West Asian : 6.31 (4.66) - East Med : 4.85 (6.72) - Red Sea : 2.08 (2.83) - Amerindian : 1.02 (0.20)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lyonnist For This Useful Post:

anglesqueville (02-03-2017),  [email protected] (02-03-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish-Colonial American
    Y-DNA (P)
    n1c1 Gf U106 F
    mtDNA (M)
    H1b1 Finnish

I remember the study involved Finnish men

Registered Users
    Sex

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lyonnist View Post
    I would like to know where it came from, historically (which peoples). Is there a distribution map?
    There's no specific population it originated in. It is found in every population of world. It's just a trait which first humans had.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyDLuffy For This Useful Post:

kingjohn (03-21-2017),  [email protected] (02-04-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    81% FRA+13% ITA+6% SPA
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152 Z56 BY3538
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1, H13a1a1

France New Caledonia Italy Spain Luxembourg Switzerland
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lyonnist View Post
    Apparently, it's pretty ancient since it's also found in some monkeys. But in Human it's a repeat sequence of 30 base pairs that has been inserted from three to five times into the promoter region.

While in monkeys it can be the same 30-base-pair repeat seen in humans or the shorter 18-base-pair repeat, among other form.

From the article
    These findings intrigued psychiatrist Klaus-Peter Lesch of the University of Wurzburg in Germany, who works with the NIAAA group. His team first found, in macaques, a similar 18-base-pair repeat that also modulates MAOA enzyme activity. And macaques with less enzyme were more aggressive than other macaques when competing for food, says Lesch.
    Newman then sampled all apes and many monkeys--almost 600 primates in all--and found the same 30-base-pair repeat seen in humans or the shorter 18-base-pair repeat, among other forms. He noted that apes and Old World (Asian and African) monkeys carried these alleles, whereas New World (South American) monkeys did not. That suggests that the allele arose after New World and Old World monkeys split, but before apes and Old World monkeys diverged about 25 million years ago.
    During those 25 million years, aggressive and risk-taking behavior must have had reproductive payoffs for some males, says Newman. But the gene didn't sweep through populations, because if a male was too violent, he probably died before reproducing. Newman suggests that the MAOA gene may offer a rare example of so-called balancing selection, in which selection favors two or more forms of a gene and maintains all the forms in a population. "The human social environment required the development of all kinds of emotional and cognitive capabilities, and [it] demanded variation in impulsivity in humans," agrees David Goldman, a member of the NIAAA team. "It's what I call the warrior vs. the worrier?' In other words, primate politics has long favored more than one route to success.
    http://ic.galegroup.com/ic/ovic/Acad...f5354118c9ed26

And the warrior gene (3R variant) is the more common Moa variant in Asian and Black people it seems:

From wikipedia :
    59% of Black men, 54% of Chinese men, 56% of Maori men, and 34% of Caucasian men carried the 3R allele
    Some Black people seems to also carry the extreme warrior gene (2R variant)
    5.5% of Black men, 0.1% of Caucasian men, and 0.00067% of Asian men carried the 2R allele
    Last edited by Il PapÓ; 02-04-2017 at 08:40 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Il PapÓ For This Useful Post:

JohnHowellsTyrfro (02-05-2017),  MonkeyDLuffy (02-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Finnish-Colonial American
    Y-DNA (P)
    n1c1 Gf U106 F
    mtDNA (M)
    H1b1 Finnish

Banned
    Sex
    The airport staff told me this was North America.
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Undecided
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (R-M222)
    mtDNA (M)
    V2a

Scotland England Wales Ireland Sweden Norway Kven
    Quote Originally Posted by Il PapÓ View Post
    And the warrior gene (3R variant) is the more common Moa variant in Asian and Black people it seems:

From wikipedia :

Interesting in a way. But, then there's the below.

with the 3R and 4R variants most common in Caucasians. High testosterone, maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy, poor material living standards, dropping out of school, and low IQ also predicts violent behavior in men with the low-activity alleles (which are overwhelmingly the 3R allele). Even in the absence of such interaction factors, the 3R allele has a small main effect on aggression and antisocial behavior, according to a large meta-analysis, which found no significant publication bias.
    This isn't a single gene or condition to be blamed for people's behaviors. After all, supposedly 40% of the population carries the MAOA-L variation but I don't think 40% of the population are ranting over-reactionary/violent individuals.
    Last edited by Calas; 02-05-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Registered Users
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-S336
    mtDNA (M)
    K1c1

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    That's about HTR2B, a different violence-associated gene.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    West European
    Nationality
    French
    Y-DNA (P)
    I1-Z17954>A8096
    mtDNA (M)
    H1e1a
    mtDNA (P)
    H6

France Lyon France Germany Byzantine Empire
    I have this gene. I also had an affective and psychological childhood. So I confirm that relationships with others are often difficult.
    V2 K15 (Average France) => North Sea : 27.46 (28.25) - Atlantic : 21.26 (26.05) - West Med : 19.05 (15.53) - Baltic : 9.17 (8.22) - Eastern Euro : 8.80 (6.32) - West Asian : 6.31 (4.66) - East Med : 4.85 (6.72) - Red Sea : 2.08 (2.83) - Amerindian : 1.02 (0.20)

Registered Users
    Ethnicity
    Turkish

Turkey
    It's totally misleading to call it "warrior gene".

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Norse-Gael/Celto-Germani
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106DF98KingsCluster
    mtDNA (M)
    T2b2bIrish/Scan

Ireland Scotland Germany Norway England Northern Ireland
    I personally think there are easily more than one or two (or a combination etc) of genes that can control "aggressive" behavior. I have had issues with my temper throughout my life... I'm know (or used to be know - I am getting older and better at controlling it) angry guy or angry drunk guy or whatever. Always looking for conflict... whatever you want to call it. I love that rush you get when the anger comes on, and I see "red" so I no longer drink (that is from my Mother's Irish side - my Grandfather O'Dwyer had the same issue). Anyway... I'm TT at the Rs6311 SNP (associated with higher stress response - more receptors - something like that) so it makes me wonder if I'm also TT for that
    HTR2B 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor 2B found in Finnish men for implusive behavior (don't worry I have a couple 5th cousin from Finland in my autosomal matches - though mainly I get Irish and Scots with a few Germans/Baltics). Couldn't find the rs number for the SNP for the HTR2B 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor 2B gene though in my autosomal results from FTDNA, but did find the rs6311 etc. Maybe one day we will figure out what makes us tick ;-). P.S. I had several psychologists tell me they think my brain doesn't produce enough serotonin - based on years of observed behaviors, and I am a different person when I take Prozac - which is an SSRI - stops the brain from taking back up the serotonin or something like that! Confusing! Maybe there is an SNP or ten for that issue :-)!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Bollox79; 02-06-2017 at 03:37 AM.
    Y-DNA: 4th GGF Johann Adam Weber/Weaver born 1784 in Pennsylvania. Sergeant, US 17th Inf, War of 1812: R1b-U106-DF98-S1911-S1894/S1900-S4004... FGC14817 shared with 6drif-3 - one of the "Headless" Roman Gladiator/Soldiers! Father Captain Martin Weber b. 1739 in Hesse(?), Germany, d. 1804 Dauphin, PA.

mtDNA: 3rd GGM Bridget O'Danagher b. 1843 Lorrha/Dorrha, Ireland - T2b2b - Pagan Migrant Icelander SSG-A3 (grave 4) - SÝlasta­ir in Eyjafjar­arsřsla, North Iceland is T2b2b.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast