Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About My Grandmother's Paternity Based On Family Finder Results

J Man

Question About My Grandmother's Paternity Based On Family Finder Results

A little while back two of my father's 1st cousins took the Family Finder test at Family Tree DNA. These two cousins are from the Finnish side of my family and are the children of my grandmother's brother. I am very happy that they tested as it is helping to sort out a question I had wondered about for a long time about my grandmother. Basically I wondered if she was my great grandfather's (her father) biological child. I wondered this because she has brown/hazel eyes and both of her parents apparently had blue eyes. I have no doubt that she was my great grandmother's biological child as because besides their eye colours they looked very similar. Her mother had blue eyes and her father's were listed as being ''light gray'' on his naturalization record. Basically light gray would be the same as blue genetically I would say. So since my grandmother ended up having brown/hazel eyes and both of her parents had light eyes (light gray and blue) made me wonder if her supposed father was actually her true biological father or not. Now since these cousins tested who are both children of my grandmother's brother it has helped to shed light and help to see if my grandmother was actually her father's true biological child or not. Here are the cousins Family Finder results with my father, uncle (father's brother) and myself.

Cousin John:

Shares with my Father:

879.91 Shared cM
    103.75 Longest Block

Shares With My Uncle (Father's Brother):

939.24 Shared cM
    109.34 Longest Block

Shares With Me:

362.64 Shared cM
    61.68 Longest Block

Cousin Sharon:

Shares With Father:

763.98 Shared cM
    71.17 Longest Block

Shares With Uncle (Father's Brother):

775.82 Shared cM
    62.01 Longest Block

Shares With Me:

313.45 Shared cM
    53.61 Longest Block

So based on these results does it look like my grandmother was indeed my great grand father's biological child or not?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

United States of America European Union Norway United Kingdom Germany Imperial
    I get dizzy when I look at all my Family Finder matches (mostly low level). One surname (Wells) keeps popping up, but I haven't a clue where it comes from or how it connects to my tree. It must be downstream from my maternal North Carolina roots, probably connected to some cousin or other.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    mtDNA (M)
    H4a1c1

United States of America Switzerland Italy
    You can't use eye color to determine parentage. My father had hazel eyes, and my mother had blue eyes, and all three of us kids have brown eyes. I have brown eyes, and my children's father has blue eyes. We have one blue eyed and two brown eyed kids.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Walker View Post
    You can't use eye color to determine parentage. My father had hazel eyes, and my mother had blue eyes, and all three of us kids have brown eyes. I have brown eyes, and my children's father has blue eyes. We have one blue eyed and two brown eyed kids.
    This is correct. Humata is our resident expert on eye colour, but I do know enough to say that there are multiple alleles that govern it. That means you can have two blue-eyed parents with a brown-eyed child, for example.
    Last edited by AJL; 06-13-2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: typo

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

J Man
    Okay thank you for all of the replies but what about my original question? Based on the Family Finder results does it look like my grandmother was my great grandfather's true biological child?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

Hey there J Man,

Sorry, I don't have a clue to your question. But didn't you say, way back when, that you had a maternal match or two from Sweden? I keep bumping into possible Swedish female ancestress origins in Sweden. Nothing firm, but just the same, an occasional Swedish origin, male or female, pops up in Ancestry entries from that era. I'm talking around 800 to 1,000 AD, or so. And U5b2c2 is close to U5b2b2.
    Last edited by Baltimore1937; 06-13-2013 at 04:56 AM.

J Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore1937 View Post
    Hey there J Man,

Sorry, I don't have a clue to your question. But didn't you say, way back when, that you had a maternal match or two from Sweden? I keep bumping into possible Swedish female ancestress origins in Sweden. Nothing firm, but just the same, an occasional Swedish origin, male or female, pops up in Ancestry entries from that era. I'm talking around 800 to 1,000 AD, or so. And U5b2c2 is close to U5b2b2.
    I am not sure really. My direct maternal line comes from Ireland. The side of my family that I am asking about in this thread is from my paternal grandmother.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European blend
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1a1 L664/YP5623
    mtDNA (M)
    U5b2b2/G228A

Quote Originally Posted by J Man View Post
    I am not sure really. My direct maternal line comes from Ireland. The side of my family that I am asking about in this thread is from my paternal grandmother.
    Somewhere online showed that one or two U5b2c2 samples popped up in Sweden. We (U5b2c2 & U5b2b2) are closely enough related that it's no surprise we were in the same neighborhood (NW Europe).

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mixed Euro/Near East
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a-YP4516/YP4807*
    mtDNA (M)
    H11a2a3

Canada Franco-Manitoban European Union Ottoman Empire Russia Imperial United States Grand Union
    To your original question -- yes, that's well in line with the stats Tim Janzen has on first cousins.

Other ancestral Y lines:

E1b-M81 Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    E1b-V13 England
    I1-M253 Ireland
    I2-M423 Ukraine
    R1a-L176.1 Scotland
    R1b-L584 Syria/Turkey (Sephardi)
    R1b-L20 Ireland
    R1b-L21 (1)England; (2)Wales?>Connecticut
    R1b-L48 England
    R1b-P312 Scotland
    R1b-FGC32576 Ireland

Other ancestral mtDNA lines:

H1b2a Ukraine (Ashkenazi)
    H6a1a3 Ukraine
    K1a9 Belarus (Ashkenazi)
    K1c2 Ireland
    V7a Ukraine

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AJL For This Useful Post:

J Man
    Quote Originally Posted by AJL View Post
    To your original question -- yes, that's well in line with the stats Tim Janzen has on first cousins.
    Thanks AJL that helps a lot.

I just found this about IBD segments shared between cousins on ISOGG.

1st cousins: 548-1034 cMs
    1st cousins once removed: 248-638 cMs

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Identical_By_Descent_segment

So it looks like our cousins John and Sharon are right in the correct range for what 1st cousins should share with my father and uncle. They are also in range with me but at the lower end.

What do you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast