Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why do some African Americans have east African heritage?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Nationality
    American
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b U152+Z36+A7992
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a-C150T

United States of America Mexico Germany United Kingdom Ireland
    After running my son-in-law's DNA test results through the Ethiohelix calculator on GEDMATCH, I come up with the following results:

Nilo-Saharan 3.84
    North-Africa 11.58
    Mbuti-Pygmy -
    Eastern-Bantu 15.40
    Khoi-San 4.49
    West-Africa 31.64
    Hadza 0.89
    Biaka-Pygmy 4.97
    French 27.19

I have tried for years going through multiple sets of pictures trying to determine what African ethnicity he resembles but I always come up stumped. Of course, he is slightly over a quarter European in ancestry so I suppose those genes may skew everything else. Being nearly 12% North African, which I assume is Berber, may also contribute to this. This has always perplexed me. Is this an indication that his African ancestors may have been from a part of West Africa where there was significant Moroccan slave trading? He comes from a family with possible ties to one of the classic Melungeon families (Collins). Is this an indicator that perhaps his North African ancestry came (as the highly disputed theory states) from captured Ottoman galley slaves brought to America in the early days of English settlement. His family were later in all the right places.

He bears no Khoi-san phenotypical traits even though he carries some genes from those people. He must have some slave ancestors brought over from Angola or Namibia perhaps?

He is also nearly 15% Eastern Bantu. Perhaps some of his ancestors left Africa from Zanzibar or Mombasa?

He is a rather short man...about 5' 7"...perhaps his pygmy genes influenced his height?

Does any of this rampant speculation seem plausible or does it come from the fevered imagination of a white man who doesn't have a clue what he's blathering on about?

I have traced several of his lines to slaves freed in 1865 who had roots in Alabama back to Georgia. Others lived in North Carolina. Several of his mother's lines were tri-racial people from Clay County, Kentucky and Harnett County, North Carolina. His grandfather was an enrolled member of the Coharie Indian Tribe.

Incidentally, here is his MDLP-K11 calculator results:

African 63.14
    Amerindian 2.29
    ASI 0.17
    Basal 2.43
    Iran-Mesolithic -
    Neolithic 12.13
    Oceanic -
    EHG 8.11
    SEA 0.21
    Siberian -
    WHG 11.52

He consistently shows minor amounts of East Asian ancestry. I have always assumed it was really Native American. I suppose it could be but wouldn't be crazy if it was from a Chinese sailor from Zheng He's fleet that explored East Africa in the 1400s? Maybe a century or two later, one of his descendants was captured and enslaved and ended up in America?
    Last edited by Grossvater; 04-04-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Sex

perhaps, black people from Mozambique?

there werent many from there, but.. who knows

Sex
    Ethnicity
    African-American
    Nationality
    American
    mtDNA (M)
    L3e3b

Ghana Nigeria Cote dIvoire Madagascar Liberia Uganda
    Imagine my surprise my sister, daughter and I are matching 100% Ugandans on our X-chromosome. Another person we match who is from Guyana we match on the X and autosomal. They match the Ugandans also. Some of the people who match them on the X are Latino and are from the Dominican Republic. Definitely surprising. The Ugandans are Grandmother, daughter, and grand-daughter.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikenna For This Useful Post:

Angoliga (06-06-2017)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Central/E. Sudanic
    Y-DNA (P)
    A-M13 (A-Y95250*)
    mtDNA (M)
    L3x2b
    Y-DNA (M)
    B2a1
    mtDNA (P)
    L2e*

Canada Uganda
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikenna View Post
    Imagine my surprise my sister, daughter and I are matching 100% Ugandans on our X-chromosome. Another person we match who is from Guyana we match on the X and autosomal. They match the Ugandans also. Some of the people who match them on the X are Latino and are from the Dominican Republic. Definitely surprising. The Ugandans are Grandmother, daughter, and grand-daughter.
    Howdy

Thank you for sharing, I've come across the same surprise in the reverse

It's interesting that this paper on Ugandan mtDNA specifically mentions samples from the Dominican Republic clustering with Ugandans:

"The clustering of sequences of the Baganda, Lugbara and Acholi with sequences of individuals from Dominican Republic and the Island of Hispaniola, demonstrated that there was a possibility of slave trade involving Ugandans being shipped into America by some means. Since there is no historical account of slave trade directly from Uganda to America and since it was the Arabs, Afro-Arabs and Egyptians who penetrated the interior of Uganda to deal in slavery (Ssekamwa, 1994; Were and Wilson, 1984), it is probable that the Arabs, Afro-Arabs or Egyptians sold some of the slaves to America. Alternatively, it could be that there was some undetectable gene flow from Uganda to certain countries in Africa and thereafter to America thus contributing to the transatlantic slave trade. Concrete evidence for this is however unavailable."(Isabirye, 2010)

Both of my parents are native Ugandans from the West-Nile region; my father is an Aringa and my mother's a Kakwa (*upper-left corner on the map below):

I've found over 150 African-American and Latin-American GEDmatches related to immediate family - of those, about a dozen or more are autosomal matches over 8cM with a few >8cM X-chromosome matches (I haven't verified the background of all of these +8cM X-chr matches but there's a mixture of English and Spanish surnames). Since I tested on 23andme 2 years ago, my only match has been an estimated distant cousin of Cuban decent.

One of my family's cluster of highest autosomal GEDmatches (+10cM) are from a family rooted in Georgia that migrated to Alabama and then spread across other southern states and beyond. I recently found a half Somali/Middle Eastern match that overlaps on the same segment as this family, I believe we might all be related through the East-African slave trade - I made a thread on the topic, discussing the viability of this theory. Other members have also shared their own experiences along with some critique on the whole idea -- feel free to share yours: Echoes of the East-Africa Slave Trade

*ps I've PM'd you as well
    Last edited by Angoliga; 06-06-2017 at 05:04 AM.
    .... .. I have spoken."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Angoliga For This Useful Post:

Targum (06-06-2017)

Sex
    Omitted

Brazil was the only country to receive relevant amount of east africans in the translatlantic enslaved trade

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123