Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why do some African Americans have east African heritage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

why do some African Americans have east African heritage?

I was just wondering. You see some people like Ben Carson who have east African heritage I'm just wondering how that works with slavery. Did east African immigrate to america outside of slavery? Specifically Kenyan people? I'm curious because I generally get more centralized results for my tribal results. Specifically with tribes in kenya and Ethiopia sometimes and southeast Africa sometimes. I'm wondering how they got to america? What about creoles and Cajuns? Would immigration in those areas be a little different perhaps?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jaderose22 For This Useful Post:

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 (03-30-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mswahili
    Nationality
    Kenyan

Kenya
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderose22 View Post
    I was just wondering. You see some people like Ben Carson who have east African heritage I'm just wondering how that works with slavery. Did east African immigrate to america outside of slavery? Specifically Kenyan people? I'm curious because I generally get more centralized results for my tribal results. Specifically with tribes in kenya and Ethiopia sometimes and southeast Africa sometimes. I'm wondering how they got to america? What about creoles and Cajuns? Would immigration in those areas be a little different perhaps?
    During the Indian Ocean slave trade many tribes from the Indian Ocean archipelago were enslaved by the Swahili, Arabs, Portuguese and Persians mostly.

Most of these slaves came from Zanzibar, Mombasa, Madagascar, Lamu and even as far down as Mozambique.

These tribes which were enslaved were Mijikenda (bantu coastal people).

When the slaves reached the slave markets in Oman for example they were then brought over to the new world by the British and Portuguese.
    Last edited by SWAHILLI_PRINCE16; 03-30-2017 at 08:04 PM.
    23andMe

96.3% Sub-Saharan African
    96.3% Congolese & Southern East African
    95.9% Southern East African
    0.4% Angolan & Congolese

3.4% Central & South Asian
    3.4% Central Asian, Northern Indian & Pakistani
    3.4% Central Asian

0.3% Unassigned

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 For This Useful Post:

JerryS. (05-29-2020),  JFWinstone (03-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by SWAHILLI_PRINCE16 View Post
    During the Indian Ocean slave trade many tribes from the Indian Ocean archipelago were enslaved by the Swahili, Arabs, Portuguese and Persians mostly.

Most of these slaves came from Zanzibar, Mombasa, Madagascar, Lamu and even as far down as Mozambique.

These tribes which were enslaved were Mijikenda (bantu coastal people).

When the slaves reached the slave markets in Oman for example they were then brought over to the new world by the British and Portuguese.
    Got it

http://www.theroot.com/were-my-ensla...pia-1790876198

My family is from new Orleans actually on both sides. My dad very recently and he has a lot more east African heritage. I think a lot of black Americans have new Orleans or Charleston ties....

In Zanzibar the people are mostly Swahili Swahili are actually Bantu. And in mozambique most people are Bantu. South eastern Bantu. So both would explain. I wonder where Ben Carson's family is from

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Sex

There are no Tribes in Ethiopia They are called ethnic groups...
    Last edited by Real_Amharas; 04-01-2017 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Real_Amharas View Post
    There are no Tribes in Ethiopia They are called ethnic groups...
    to me a tribe is just a bunch of groups within an ethnic group. Ethnically Ethiopian Oromos jews amharas and tigrays are ethnically the same. But belong to diffetrent tribes. I get all of these people in my ethiohelix results........ One or the other they all serve the same purpose.

Sex

to me a tribe is just a bunch of groups within an ethnic group. Ethnically Ethiopian Oromos jews amharas and tigrays are ethnically the same. But belong to diffetrent tribes. I get all of these people in my ethiohelix results........ One or the other they all serve the same purpose.
    I have to disagree with you there. There is a hug different between Tribe/clan and Ethnicity.

Tribe
    definition: a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader.

Ethnicity is someone who share the same culture, language value etc... Oromo, Ethiopian Jews, Amharas, Tigrays are not the same ethnicity especially Oromos because they are very heterogeneous population some are closer to somali some are closer to Amhara/Tigray-Agaw some are closer to Kenyas.. So it doesn't make sense to call those ethnic group as being the same as Amhara, Agaw, and Tigray...

Okey since you consider Oromos, Amharas, Jews, and Tigrays as the same ethnicity but what about Nilotic ethnic group like Gambela are they the same as them they are ethiopians they live in ethiopia so what makes them different what about other Afroasiatic speaking people like Omotic who live in Ethiopia what make them different from other Cushitics they speak Afroasiatic language just like Cushitics...
    Last edited by Real_Amharas; 04-01-2017 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Real_Amharas View Post
    I have to disagree with you there. There is a hug different between Tribe/clan and Ethnicity.

Tribe
    definition: a social division in a traditional society consisting of families or communities linked by social, economic, religious, or blood ties, with a common culture and dialect, typically having a recognized leader.

Ethnicity is someone who share the same culture, language value etc... Oromo, Ethiopian Jews, Amharas, Tigrays are not the same ethnicity especially Oromos because they are very heterogeneous population some are closer to somali some are closer to Amhara/Tigray-Agaw some are closer to Kenyas.. So it doesn't make sense to call those ethnic group as being the same as Amhara, Agaw, and Tigray...

Okey since you consider Oromos, Amharas, Jews, and Tigrays as the same ethnicity but what about Nilotic ethnic group like Gambela are they the same as them they are ethiopians they live in ethiopia so what makes them different what about other Afroasiatic speaking people like Omotic who live in Ethiopia what make them different from other Cushitics they speak Afroasiatic language just like Cushitics...

Go ask ancestrydna and 23andme its all the same ethnicity. Well considering I have the same distance from all of you the tigray the oromo and the Amhara and jews... And on the DNA companies you belong to the same ethnic groups. The gambella I'm not sure ive never seen their results. Are they are combination of east African Bantu and Eurasian middle eastern heritage? If they are then yes they are genetically the same ethnicity as you. But I have not seen the results of someone who was gambella.

Sex

Go ask ancestrydna and 23andme its all the same ethnicity. Well considering I have the same distance from all of you the tigray the oromo and the Amhara and jews... And on the DNA companies you belong to the same ethnic groups. The gambella I'm not sure ive never seen their results. Are they are combination of east African Bantu and Eurasian middle eastern heritage? If they are then yes they are genetically the same ethnicity as you. But I have not seen the results of someone who was gambella.
    there are no Bantus is Ethiopia there are Nilotics though... When i said Gambella i was referring to an Ethnic called Anuak they live in southwestern Ethiopia but genetically they are closer to south sudanses than to mainstream Ethiopians.
    Last edited by Real_Amharas; 04-02-2017 at 05:53 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Real_Amharas For This Useful Post:

drobbah (04-02-2017)

BTW there's no such thing as gambella people. That's a region. Do your research. And genetically you're the as Kenyans only mixed basically at least that's what genetic studies show.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast