Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

United Kingdom Scotland England Ireland

The Finnish obsession

The question of minor Finnish ancestry puzzles me . On some calculators I get none and on others I get 2.1(My heritage) 4(dna land -23andMe upload) and 8.3 8.5 8.6(dna tribes -FTDNA,23andMe,Ancestry).

My father gets 1.4(dna land) and 4.1(dna tribes)- both FTDNA uploads

Having looked at admixture by chromosome on Eurogenes K12b I notice that for me Finnish is the 2nd highest admixture on 3,5 and 20. For my father 3 and 20.

ch3 dadsonfinn.PNG
    ch20 dadsonfinn.PNG
    Please support Mental health research and world community grid

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

cercle (04-08-2017),  galon07 (04-07-2017),  kingjohn (04-06-2017),  [email protected] (04-06-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    Still no close relative on gedmatch ( or elsewhere)?
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

No close matches as in 1-5 generations. Unfortunately gedmatch is down at the moment.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

Just looked on gedmatch. Best is 14.6/8.9 6.1 gen. Given gedmatch's tendency to underestimate I'm thinking more likely 8-9 generations.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

dp (04-08-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

with that much on every calculator I'd think it's real, even if maybe it's only 1/3 or 1/4 what they say
    but who knows

my dad had hints on every DNA test but then the proof came when a particular little 0.1% bit on a chromosome on 23 was painted as speculative Finnish and then on FTDNA he got all those 100% Finnish (or at least 100% Finnish and Scandinavian) matches on that exact segment

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wombatofthenorth For This Useful Post:

C J Wyatt III (04-07-2017),  dp (04-08-2017)

Banned
    Sex
    The airport staff told me this was North America.
    Ethnicity
    Western European
    Nationality
    Undecided
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b (R-M222)
    mtDNA (M)
    V2a

Scotland England Wales Ireland Sweden Norway Kven
    Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey View Post
    The question of minor Finnish ancestry puzzles me . On some calculators I get none and on others I get 2.1(My heritage) 4(dna land -23andMe upload) and 8.3 8.5 8.6(dna tribes -FTDNA,23andMe,Ancestry).

My father gets 1.4(dna land) and 4.1(dna tribes)- both FTDNA uploads
    You have a Scottish flag on your profile. Scots can get quite a bit of Finnish; they're actually, on average, among the highest Brits to possess Finnish DNA.

It could be modern. It could be ancestral. Finns, after all, happened to have been included in the Viking raider ranks. They actually made something of a name for themselves if you read the old tales and know exactly who is being talked about because the word Finn is used interchangably with something else. Include the fact that out of all Scandinavian/Nordic groups Finns have remained relatively endogamous [far more than Swedes, Danes and Norwegians if you review history] and that Finnish shows up isn't too surprising.

The inconsistency of your Finnish to DNALand via upload though is interesting. Mine is constant > 11% from FTDNA, 14% from 23&me and 12% from Ancestry.com. No Finnish matches on gedmatch - your Best is 14.6/8.9 6.1 gen has an actual Finnish name? Or just a Scandinavian name? - yet I get large chunks of Finnish via Eurogenes k12b.

Aside from having large pieces similarly in 3 & 5, I have quite large pieces in chr 6, 8, & 10 with 5 & 14 having Finnish almost across the entire length. I can also throw in Chr 1, 7, 9, & 11.

It's likely why at the one-to-one compare set at default 500/5cm and Minimum segment cM > 1cm I share more DNA with just a bunch of randomly selected Finns than one of your kits [T113527] which I used as wasn't sure which one you've been quoting.

Three Finnish kits > You are on the left (27.2, 35.5, 46.0), I am on the right (64.0, 107.6, 61.5)
    Last edited by Calas; 04-07-2017 at 10:36 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calas For This Useful Post:

galon07 (04-07-2017),  randwulf (04-07-2017)

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    northwesterner
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-BY3604-Z275
    mtDNA (M)
    H5a1

Normandie Orkney Netherlands Friesland East Frisia Finland
    I'm not very enthusiastic about Eurogenes K12b. For example, my dad has a segment on his 22 ( around 15 cM, a little less on mine) on which he has 13 finnish relatives, and only 4 more who are not.
    Capture (3).jpg
    K12b shows his chrom 22 as mostly north-european, and the two little "finnish" fringes don't correspond to the segment with the beautiful finnish triangulation:
    Capture2.JPG
    As Mauri Myllylä wrote some months ago on his blog, Finns are basically northern europeans with some saami admixture, and I believe that the admixture calculators are, for that exploration, not a so good tool as many people think. That said, a few weeks ago I tried, mostly for fun, to apply qpAdm to my dad's datas, and have a look to models with finnish individuals ( the Finns are from the HumanOrigins databank used by Lazaridis for his works of 2016). As qpAdm does not use admixtures, it was a useful experiment. I've posted some results on this thread ( first post):
    http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...ighlight=qpAdm
    These results, with between around 17% of finnish alleles, are in line with what I've discovered about my Dad's genealogy, and I must admit that they are not very far from the diverse admixture results.
    Last edited by anglesqueville; 04-07-2017 at 01:58 PM.
    En North alom, de North venom
    En North fum naiz, en North manom

(Roman de Rou, Wace, 1160-1170)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anglesqueville For This Useful Post:

randwulf (04-07-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Brazilian
    Y-DNA (P)
    I-M223 > I-Z2059
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z36 > R-A7992

Brazil Canada Italy Veneto Galicia Star of David Netherlands
    I had some Finnish score on FTDNA (8% actually), which was now reduced to "trace" after their update. But I still have it on some gedmatch calcs too, and I see it as puzzling as you do, since I know nothing about any possible Finnish ancestry at all. MDLP K12 gives me 5.03% for Balto_Finnic; Euro K36 gives me 5.59% Fennoscandian; K12b shows 5.62% Finnish; K15 gives 6.85% Baltic; and so on.

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

Quote Originally Posted by Calas View Post
    You have a Scottish flag on your profile. Scots can get quite a bit of Finnish; they're actually, on average, among the highest Brits to possess Finnish DNA.

It could be modern. It could be ancestral. Finns, after all, happened to have been included in the Viking raider ranks. They actually made something of a name for themselves if you read the old tales and know exactly who is being talked about because the word Finn is used interchangably with something else. Include the fact that out of all Scandinavian/Nordic groups Finns have remained relatively endogamous [far more than Swedes, Danes and Norwegians if you review history] and that Finnish shows up isn't too surprising.

The inconsistency of your Finnish to DNALand via upload though is interesting. Mine is constant > 11% from FTDNA, 14% from 23&me and 12% from Ancestry.com. No Finnish matches on gedmatch - your Best is 14.6/8.9 6.1 gen has an actual Finnish name? Or just a Scandinavian name? - yet I get large chunks of Finnish via Eurogenes k12b.

Aside from having large pieces similarly in 3 & 5, I have quite large pieces in chr 6, 8, & 10 with 5 & 14 having Finnish almost across the entire length. I can also throw in Chr 1, 7, 9, & 11.

It's likely why at the one-to-one compare set at default 500/5cm and Minimum segment cM > 1cm I share more DNA with just a bunch of randomly selected Finns than one of your kits [T113527] which I used as wasn't sure which one you've been quoting.

Three Finnish kits > You are on the left (27.2, 35.5, 46.0), I am on the right (64.0, 107.6, 61.5)
    The kit was t113527 . The match's name on checking with forebears is very much German though their email address is Finnish. http://forebears.co.uk/surnames/rahmel

I have 3 matches at FTDNA which are 32/11 4th - remote http://forebears.co.uk/surnames/aho . Hautaaho is listed as an ancestral surname http://forebears.io/surnames/hauta-aho , 33/9 5th -remote http://forebears.co.uk/surnames/linna , 32/8 5th-remote http://forebears.co.uk/surnames/marttinen

Unfortunately none of these are on gedmatch.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Gold Class Member
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    British and Irish
    Nationality
    Great Britain
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-Y45878
    mtDNA (M)
    H67

Quote Originally Posted by galon07 View Post
    I had some Finnish score on FTDNA (8% actually), which was now reduced to "trace" after their update. But I still have it on some gedmatch calcs too, and I see it as puzzling as you do, since I know nothing about any possible Finnish ancestry at all. MDLP K12 gives me 5.03% for Balto_Finnic; Euro K36 gives me 5.59% Fennoscandian; K12b shows 5.62% Finnish; K15 gives 6.85% Baltic; and so on.
    I get <2 trace on FTDNA . Euro K36 11.41 Fennoscandian;
    K12b 7.92 Finnish; K15 10.73 Baltic; MDLP K12 8.69 Balto_Finnic

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to firemonkey For This Useful Post:

galon07 (04-07-2017)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast