Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethnic confirmation of Adyghe origin?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

Ethnic confirmation of Adyghe origin?

I have written in a different post about my question. However, this might deserve a different thread.

My ancestors from my mother side is known to have a Turkish origin, this is clear.

And ancestors from my father side are told to be migrated from Caucasia and have Adyghe ethnicity. The migration that I am referring is less than 200 years.

My understanding is that all these tests mentioned here are not perfect tools to tell about ethnicity. Especially with only a few generations past.

However, I wonder if that is possible. Can I confirm the origin of Adyghe in my ancestory.

If I was to be tested it is obvious that I will have strong Minor Asia content. Since Turkish and Adyghe ethnicity are so close, which test would be best to answer my questions considering there is a limited number of samples from this part of the world.

Reading about the companies and comparing in between them, I tend to purchase Living DNA tests. Would it be a good choice? Would one offer a better solution to my question?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alhan For This Useful Post:

Abd.H (04-11-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    Multiple gedmatch calculators will give a good indialcation. Why dont you test your father first?
    Of all the countries, this is possibly the most beautiful. All that is beautiful and can be rarely seen in
    other countries can be seen everywhere here... Here live the people who wear the cleanest clothes and prepare the
    most flavorful dishes... Of all of Godís servants, the local people are the most compassionate and merciful...

Ibn Battuta about Asia Minor 1333CE

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Afshar For This Useful Post:

alhan (04-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

I thought some of the tests are related to mother line. Testing my father would ignore my mother line all together. Right??

What is the basis of your suggestion?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

Quote Originally Posted by Afshar View Post
    Multiple gedmatch calculators will give a good indialcation.
    Does that mean I can choose any of the companies and their raw data could be used gedmatch calculators?

If that is the case, what would be the cheapest option? Thanks for the suggestions by the way.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Syrian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J1-ZS3114-B234
    mtDNA (M)
    K1a

I think The best way to detect your ancestral origin from your father side is to have Y dna test

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Abd.H For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-12-2017),  alhan (04-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    Quote Originally Posted by alhan View Post
    Does that mean I can choose any of the companies and their raw data could be used gedmatch calculators?

If that is the case, what would be the cheapest option? Thanks for the suggestions by the way.
    Yes exactly. I think ftdna is the way to go, especially for ydna.
    Of all the countries, this is possibly the most beautiful. All that is beautiful and can be rarely seen in
    other countries can be seen everywhere here... Here live the people who wear the cleanest clothes and prepare the
    most flavorful dishes... Of all of Godís servants, the local people are the most compassionate and merciful...

Ibn Battuta about Asia Minor 1333CE

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Afshar For This Useful Post:

Abd.H (04-11-2017),  alhan (04-12-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Sephardi
    Nationality
    Turkish
    Y-DNA (P)
    E-M84
    mtDNA (M)
    H14b

yes you can confirm adyghe ancestry or at least something close to it. my father-in-law is of adyghe origin. his test result puts him as closest to abkhaz or georgian. his caucasian component is much higher than the turks. to discover his adyghe origin however you dont need a genetic test . normally adyghe people speak an adyghe dialect and have tribal/clan associations.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eolien For This Useful Post:

Agamemnon (04-12-2017),  alhan (04-13-2017),  vettor (04-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

Quote Originally Posted by eolien View Post
    however you dont need a genetic test . normally adyghe people speak an adyghe dialect and have tribal/clan associations.
    Thank you very much for the answer. This is my dilemma actually, As you correctly stated "normally adyghe people speak an adyghe dialect and have tribal/clan associations". We don't have any of this.

Our understanding is that they migrated from Caucasia around 1850, that matches with the general concept of "1864 migration from Caucasia to Anatolia"; and they established a village in Malatya named Alhanuşağı, after their name "Alhan".

But the Adyghe dialect is not spoken in the village, not even a word. The explanation for this is that "they needed to hide their ethnicity!". I know that many Caucasion origined people lived in Anatolia peacefully. If they weren't so certain about being "«erkes", I would just ignore what they are saying.

That's the reasoning beyond my Genetic test queries This way I can indirectly confirm their claim

Quote Originally Posted by eolien View Post
    yes you can confirm adyghe ancestry or at least something close to it. my father-in-law is of adyghe origin. his test result puts him as closest to abkhaz or georgian. his caucasian component is much higher than the turks.
    Can you elaborate more on "caucasian component"? Are we talking about G2 haplogroup? If it is not too much trouble can you share his test results?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-M317

Cuba Vietnam
    Best way of detecting your Adygie ancestry is YDNA test as far as your pathernal side suppose to come from Adygie. In FTDNA 37 Marker test would be good for begining.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anabasis For This Useful Post:

Afshar (04-12-2017),  alhan (04-13-2017)

Sex
    Ethnicity
    Bengali
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    J-Z2432
    mtDNA (M)
    A11-a*
    Y-DNA (M)
    H-Z12547*
    mtDNA (P)
    M30g

Canada Bangladesh Jammu and Kashmir India Pakistan Sri Lanka
    I've heard that "Cherkez" was the generic name for all Caucasian migrants to Turkey. You wouldn't necessarily be Circassian if you have no tribal affiliations that you know about, but you could be something else like Ossete/Alan, or even Caucasian Turkic people such as Balkars or Kumyk etc.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kulin For This Useful Post:

Afshar (04-12-2017),  alhan (04-13-2017)

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast