Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethnic confirmation of Adyghe origin?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

Quote Originally Posted by Anabasis View Post
    Best way of detecting your Adygie ancestry is YDNA test as far as your pathernal side suppose to come from Adygie. In FTDNA 37 Marker test would be good for begining.
    Ok. It is best to start with FTDNA 37. I see that it's 169 $ for YDNA (Y37 markers) and 12.95$ for shipping. I've read in several places that they sometime offer coupons for discount. Would it be a good idea to wait for a discount? Is it likely? Because it's more than 180 $

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

Quote Originally Posted by Kulin View Post
    I've heard that "Cherkez" was the generic name for all Caucasian migrants to Turkey. You wouldn't necessarily be Circassian if you have no tribal affiliations that you know about, but you could be something else like Ossete/Alan, or even Caucasian Turkic people such as Balkars or Kumyk etc.
    You are right about the first part. As far as I know Adyghe people do not call themselves "Cherkesian". However, being Ossete/Alan, Balkar or Kumyk would be total question mark.

I've read a lot on this, and I've seen that there are two towns Alhan-kala and Alhan-yurt close to Chechnya's capital Grozny.

Possibilities are endless. May be YDNA test will somehow give some clues, or everything will be even more ambigous.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alhan For This Useful Post:

Kulin (04-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Turkish
    Nationality
    German
    Y-DNA (P)
    J2b2a1-L283>Z1297
    mtDNA (M)
    HV4

Quote Originally Posted by alhan View Post
    Ok. It is best to start with FTDNA 37. I see that it's 169 $ for YDNA (Y37 markers) and 12.95$ for shipping. I've read in several places that they sometime offer coupons for discount. Would it be a good idea to wait for a discount? Is it likely? Because it's more than 180 $
    I would recommend you to start with the family finder test, especially if you are currently financially constrained. It's only 79$ and will already tell you about possible Caucasian ancestry. It also establishes your DNA sample at FTDNAs database, so you can order later on additional tests when there is a sale.

There is also this thread were a user claims you can order the family finder test for only 58USD incl. shipping through groupon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sangarius For This Useful Post:

alhan (04-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

Quote Originally Posted by Sangarius View Post
    I would recommend you to start with the family finder test, especially if you are currently financially constrained. It's only 79$ and will already tell you about possible Caucasian ancestry. It also establishes your DNA sample at FTDNAs database, so you can order later on additional tests when there is a sale.

There is also this thread were a user claims you can order the family finder test for only 58USD incl. shipping through groupon.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I don't want to spent too much. But, at the same time I don't want to have FamilyFinder tested and than have to purchase YDNA test again to be more specific.

As far as I understand FamilyFinder is a autosomal test which covers both parents. In my case the question mark is on the father side. So, having both parents might add another level of ambiguity to results, don't you think?

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    Be aware that ydna testing usually requires more spending if there is a demand for more specificity (bigY is 575$), so even buying Y12 will lead to more spending in the future. If your budget is low stick with Family finder.
    Of all the countries, this is possibly the most beautiful. All that is beautiful and can be rarely seen in
    other countries can be seen everywhere here... Here live the people who wear the cleanest clothes and prepare the
    most flavorful dishes... Of all of Godís servants, the local people are the most compassionate and merciful...

Ibn Battuta about Asia Minor 1333CE

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Afshar For This Useful Post:

alhan (04-13-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

Quote Originally Posted by Afshar View Post
    Be aware that ydna testing usually requires more spending if there is a demand for more specificity (bigY is 575$), so even buying Y12 will lead to more spending in the future. If your budget is low stick with Family finder.
    I've probably read about 1000 posts in the forum. The problem that I'm having now is that I see lots of results, but I cannot differ one from another. I don't know which calculator result belong to which company's test.

I understand there are calculators using input from different companies.

If I stick with Autosomal test and family finder can I still use all the calculators?
    I am guessing, I will not be able to use calculators "using yDNA". What will I be missing?

My concern is that the Family Finder's Ethnic Makeup composition is not what I'm looking for. In the sample they put in the website Ethnic Makeup is something like this
    - European 47%
    - New World 31%
    - African 11%
    - East Asian 7%

In my humble opinion this result will not worth a penny. It will not worth trouble.

The problem I'm facing with all the companies, that they do not offer clear understanding what I will have after I purchase their specific product.
    A simple sample PDF file with one's results would be suffice. They just put a world map with some coloring and arrows.

I guess I need to scan through old posts, and try to understand what kind of results I can get having Family Finder. Thanks

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    I've probably read about 1000 posts in the forum. The problem that I'm having now is that I see lots of results, but I cannot differ one from another. I don't know which calculator result belong to which company's test.

I understand there are calculators using input from different companies.

If I stick with Autosomal test and family finder can I still use all the calculators?
    I am guessing, I will not be able to use calculators "using yDNA". What will I be missing?

My concern is that the Family Finder's Ethnic Makeup composition is not what I'm looking for. In the sample they put in the website Ethnic Makeup is something like this
    - European 47%
    - New World 31%
    - African 11%
    - East Asian 7%

In my humble opinion this result will not worth a penny. It will not worth trouble.

The problem I'm facing with all the companies, that they do not offer clear understanding what I will have after I purchase their specific product.
    A simple sample PDF file with one's results would be suffice. They just put a world map with some coloring and arrows.

I guess I need to scan through old posts, and try to understand what kind of results I can get having Family Finder. Thanks
    That is true, if you have adyghe ancestry, you will get some elevated percentages of x component in calculator x, but you would still not know from which (grand)parent. But if you are going for ydna, you would have to be lucky if you can answer your question with the lowest marker test, which is y12 (60-70$)
    Of all the countries, this is possibly the most beautiful. All that is beautiful and can be rarely seen in
    other countries can be seen everywhere here... Here live the people who wear the cleanest clothes and prepare the
    most flavorful dishes... Of all of Godís servants, the local people are the most compassionate and merciful...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

But if you are going for ydna, you would have to be lucky if you can answer your question with the lowest marker test, which is y12 (60-70$)
    They do not offer Y12 on their website. The tests start with Y37 and 159 $

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Gafasigirig
    Nationality
    Icecold
    Y-DNA (P)
    Q-Y16849
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a
    Y-DNA (M)
    R-Z2103
    mtDNA (P)
    HV-T16311C!

Turkey Afsharid Dynasty
    They do not offer Y12 on their website. The tests start with Y37 and 159 $
    You can order it via projects only.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a Y17491>YP4858>

Dear Afshar, I was reading through posts of the Turkish members, it seems like some of the participants tried several companies during the course of the time. I ran through your posts and it seem like you've done both y37 and y67 both yDNA tests. Here are the results of your Population Sharing data for y37, I just post the ones with the ethnicity, as I intend to focus on that:

Eurogenes K13 Oracle results:

Single Population Sharing:
    # Population (source) Distance
    1 Turkish 4.59
    2 Azeri 5.65
    3 Kurdish 9.93
    4 Georgian_Jewish 11.16
    5 Armenian 11.19
    6 Iranian 11.2
    7 Kumyk 12.94
    8 Assyrian 13.04
    9 Turkmen 14.71
    10 Iranian_Jewish 15.97
    11 Kurdish_Jewish 16.02
    12 Balkar 16.31
    13 Adygei 16.44
    14 Lebanese_Muslim 16.86
    15 Kabardin 17.47
    16 Georgian 17.67
    17 Syrian 17.72
    18 Ossetian 18.13
    19 North_Ossetian 18.62
    20 Abhkasian 19.45
    And here your y67 results Using 1 population approximation with least square method:

Least-squares method.

Using 1 population approximation:
    1 Turkish @ 4.992203
    2 Azeri @ 8.107601
    3 Georgian_Jewish @ 12.959738
    4 Assyrian @ 13.567205
    5 Kurdish @ 13.741706
    6 Armenian @ 14.001295
    7 Iranian @ 14.207490
    8 Iranian_Jewish @ 15.988047
    9 Lebanese_Muslim @ 16.116251
    10 Kurdish_Jewish @ 16.446062
    11 Turkmen @ 16.971987
    12 Syrian @ 17.224928
    13 Kumyk @ 18.814037
    14 Cyprian @ 19.485874
    15 Jordanian @ 21.682617
    16 Lebanese_Druze @ 22.447197
    17 Balkar @ 23.071480
    18 Central_Greek @ 23.287775
    19 Adygei @ 23.343811
    20 Lebanese_Christian @ 23.657602
    I'm trying to keep things simple, I have comments regarding these two version of y37 and y67. Please correct me if I misinterpret.

First of all, y67 more reliable because, there are more markers.
    They both show that you are closer to Turkish and Azeri origin.
    Both results are showing closer match of your yDNA results to Turkish and Azeri populations.

If I made these points correctly, here my questions;

- Do you think upgrade to y67 worths its value? Seeing these two results, I am thinking no need for an upgrade to y67, am I missing something? Any additional info that justifies y67 purchase on your behalf?

- How about autosomal tests like Family Finder. If I were to purchase FamilyFinder can I get the same kind of "population approximation" results using the raw data I will get from autosomal test. Or do I have to purchase yDNA to get "population approximation" results?

- Reading through your posts I understand that you get haplogroup identification like Q-M25 and subclades with your yDNA results.
    Does Family Finder results give any haplogroup info? If it does so, is it possible to join to "projects" of those haplogroups and get some comparison and more clarification?

I am trying to use your experiences to avoid any regrets in the waiting period. And greatly appreciate your patient answers.

Last question, going back 3 years, if you were to purchase just one test, which one would you pick?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast