Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could FTDNA's myOrigins 2.0 help distinguish between Irish and English ancestry??

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a1b1
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a

Question Could FTDNA's myOrigins 2.0 help distinguish between Irish and English ancestry??

I have a friend who is 50% Cypriot - 50% British Isles (possibly Irish but not confirmed since adopted).

I would expect his myOrigins 2.0 results to show something close to 50% British Isles. Instead he gets the following:

West and Central Europe: 24%
    British Isles: 20%
    Iberia: 7%

Looking at different posts from British individuals, I have noticed that other people also get a fair amount of 'West and Central Europe' ancestry. I was wondering whether this indicates English rather than Irish ancestry. It would make some sense to me based on the Anglo-Saxon (Germanic) connection.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amathusian For This Useful Post:

[email protected] (04-19-2017)

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Amathusian View Post
    I have a friend who is 50% Cypriot - 50% British Isles (possibly Irish but not confirmed since adopted).

I would expect his myOrigins 2.0 results to show something close to 50% British Isles. Instead he gets the following:

West and Central Europe: 24%
    British Isles: 20%
    Iberia: 7%

Looking at different posts from British individuals, I have noticed that other people also get a fair amount of 'West and Central Europe' ancestry. I was wondering whether this indicates English rather than Irish ancestry. It would make some sense to me based on the Anglo-Saxon (Germanic) connection.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
    Read the FTDNA 2.0 is a failure thread, it goes into depth on this very question and it's best if you read the thread if you are interested in this:
    http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...ns-2-0-failure

Short answer is FTDNA's British and Irish category is a mix of Insular "Celtic" and Germanic now, previous to 2.0 it was likely more just Insular. I'm really not sure what West and Central European is, but we notice that German and Dutch people now get very high British scores and often 0% W & C European.
    Last edited by sktibo; 04-14-2017 at 06:30 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (04-19-2017),  kingjohn (04-17-2017),  Ron from PA (04-14-2017),  [email protected] (04-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    English
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    L-SK1414
    mtDNA (M)
    H6a1a8

East Anglia England European Union
    Yet it works very well for East Anglian self:

51% British Isles
    46% West and Central Europe

Traces (<2%):

Southeast Europe
    Western Middle East
    Ashkenazi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A Norfolk L-M20 For This Useful Post:

JMcB (04-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    British & Irish
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L226/R-FGC12302
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2b1a1

England Northern Ireland Ireland Scotland European Union
    I'm not sure what to make of MyOrigins 2.0 as some people have given great feedback and others, the complete opposite (and as I am looking for my birth father and family, I cannot verify my results against a paper trail).

Your friend should maybe check out LivingDNA (British Isles broken down in to 21 regions and more to come) and Ancestry, with their recent introduction of Genetic Communities on top of ethnicity breakdown, which is sub-national level. If they haven't already done so, and if they are on Facebook, I would recommend they join the closed Facebook Group called DNA Detectives.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AntG For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (04-14-2017),  JohnHowellsTyrfro (04-14-2017),  Mike_G (04-14-2017),  [email protected] (04-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a1a1b1a1b1
    mtDNA (M)
    H14a

Many thanks to everyone for their valuable comments! So a pure English individual scores something like 50% British Isles - 50% West/Central Europe. I will check sktibo's recommended post, I am sure there will be some Irish folks posting their results there. Many thanks also for the additional DNA testing options! Very helpful!

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Latvian
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L20
    mtDNA (M)
    k1a4a1

Not sure, with 1.0 it seemed there was a somewhat stable cline from very high scores for people almost totally Irish to middle to lower scores for those from eastern England and then even a bit lower still for those from Germany.
    2.0 sometimes follows that but it also seems more random and Germans can sometimes get a ton now (although other times even less).

Silver Class Member
    Sex
    Nationality
    Canadian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-Z198 (DF27)
    mtDNA (M)
    T2B-T152C

England Scotland Poland Germany Canada Quebec Netherlands
    Many thanks to everyone for their valuable comments! So a pure English individual scores something like 50% British Isles - 50% West/Central Europe. I will check sktibo's recommended post, I am sure there will be some Irish folks posting their results there. Many thanks also for the additional DNA testing options! Very helpful!
    Page 3 of FTDNA Myorigins 2.0 is Released. User Jessie (Entirely Irish ethnic background) posted hers and her families results. In FTDNA 1.0 they were 100% British Isles, in 2.0 they were around the 85-90% mark for British Isles, so it went down.

Link: http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...released/page3

Thus, it appears that the 1.0 Version of British Isles leaned more towards the Irish side of things than the 2.0 British isles.
    Last edited by sktibo; 04-19-2017 at 08:56 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sktibo For This Useful Post:

A Norfolk L-M20 (04-19-2017),  Amerijoe (04-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Scot
    Nationality
    American Naturalized
    Y-DNA (P)
    YP6291 R1a1a1b2a2a*
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c23

United States of America Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by sktibo View Post
    Page 3 of FTDNA Myorigins 2.0 is Released. User Jessie (Entirely Irish ethnic background) posted hers and her families results. In FTDNA 1.0 they were 100% British Isles, in 2.0 they were around the 85-90% mark for British Isles, so it went down.

Link: http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthre...released/page3

Thus, it appears that the 1.0 Version of British Isles leaned more towards the Irish side of things than the 2.0 British isles.
    1.0 version 98% British, 2.0 version 98% British. So, my versions show no change or do they? With many posters showing a variety of changes, what exactly changed for the British component between the two versions? Is the British 2.0 version reference populations that different from the 1.0 version? Are individuals with high Celtic ancestry showing less change between versions? Joe

Banned
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Amerimutt
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1b-(L21/M529)

England Scotland Germany

Scots-Irish/English/German mutt here.

This test is useless for telling them apart.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiln For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (04-19-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Mostly Welsh,+ flags
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    R1a- Z283 - Y128147
    mtDNA (M)
    J2a1a1a

Wales Scotland Ireland Cornwall United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerijoe View Post
    1.0 version 98% British, 2.0 version 98% British. So, my versions show no change or do they? With many posters showing a variety of changes, what exactly changed for the British component between the two versions? Is the British 2.0 version reference populations that different from the 1.0 version? Are individuals with high Celtic ancestry showing less change between versions? Joe
    Hi Amerijoe, Something definitely changed on from 1.0 to 2.0, because I was 94% British & Irish, and with 2.0 I am now 100%.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 04-19-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    Gedmatch
    Kit Num: M129412, QA3736362
    23andme
    Hidden Content
    LivingDNA
    Hidden Content

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:

Amerijoe (04-19-2017),  JMcB (04-19-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast