Thread: Curious Gedmatch Result.

Registered Users
    Sex

Curious Gedmatch Result.

Hi,

My genome has been posted on Gedmatch for a couple of months now, but the other day, I received a most curious new match.
    The match seems to be with a pure Punjabi Indian Sikh gentleman. The match is over over 7 cm.

I am purely of European ancestry. I am certain that I have no non European ancestry, let alone Indian ancestry well within the 'historical' time period. It is the only non Euro match amongst hundreds of European matches.

Is this a real, deep historic time connection or is it down to some other effect?

I would be pleased to read the opinions of other commenters here.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Welsh
    Nationality
    British
    Y-DNA (P)
    U106 Z326 R-BY27310
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c1b2a

United Kingdom Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by peternorth View Post
    Hi,

My genome has been posted on Gedmatch for a couple of months now, but the other day, I received a most curious new match.
    The match seems to be with a pure Punjabi Indian Sikh gentleman. The match is over over 7 cm.

I am purely of European ancestry. I am certain that I have no non European ancestry, let alone Indian ancestry well within the 'historical' time period. It is the only non Euro match amongst hundreds of European matches.

Is this a real, deep historic time connection or is it down to some other effect?

You might find this link of interest, but others here know far more than me. I would just add that I have all - British ancestry too as far as I know, but I tend to get some percentages around the NW Pakistan region which I'm told most likely reflects ancient population structures. I also get an ancient population match at 7 cM with 8,000 year old Loschbour man which may not necessarily mean identical by descent, so I would guess the likelihood is you aren't related, but others may know more. John

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...z10aTWQGnKsoRA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnHowellsTyrfro For This Useful Post:

peternorth (04-18-2017)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    Portuguese
    Y-DNA (P)
    DF27
    mtDNA (M)
    H100

Portugal Brazil Spain France Galicia United Kingdom
    Hi! I do not know about your ancestry, but I am Portuguese and there are a few matches from India. That should be related to Portuguese colonization of India. Remember that India was a marriage gift gave by the Portuguese king to Uk. So if you have Portuguese ancestor, it may be possible to have distant link to India...

Registered Users
    Sex
    Nationality
    USA
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-U152
    mtDNA (M)
    H2a2a1

Canada Quebec United Kingdom Ireland Finland
    If you aren't seeing multiple matches like that and it's not above 11-12cM then it is very likely just random chance, or as the technical term goes: Identical By State.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to therrien.joel For This Useful Post:

Deftextra (02-26-2018)

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    Iberian
    Nationality
    Valencian
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-L21/M529 Z253+
    mtDNA (M)
    U3a1c1

Catalonia Andorra Gibraltar
    Hi, I am native from Eastern Iberia and I uploaded a VCF to Gedmatch Genesis with my variant SNPs to Hg19 in my Dantelab's Whole Exome Sequencing test. My kit number is YA1705593. You can see I match most of FullGenomes kits and another NGS chips (also Vindija Neardenthals!). Eurogenes calculators show us mistaken eastern asian components. I think Gedmatch algorythms aren't ready for our chips.

Registered Users
    Sex
    Ethnicity
    European
    Nationality
    Typical Canadian Mutt
    Y-DNA (P)
    R-DF27 -> FGC34856
    mtDNA (M)
    J1c2e

Ireland Ukraine England France Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by peternorth View Post
    Hi,

If the total segment is < 11 cM it is increasingly likely to be identical by state = random. At 7 cM in fact there is only a 30% chance it is identical-by-descent (truly inherited from a recent common ancestor) and a 70% chance it is IBS. Or it could be a segment that is common to the broader population of humans across the races an dno inherited from a recent common ancestor.
    Mum = 50% Irish, 50% Ukrainian (Romanian=?)
    Dad = 40% French-Canadian, 10% Irish, 50% English
    Big Y + YTree.net = R M269 -> DF27 -> Z195 -> FGC34881 -> FGC34865 (SW France; ~500 ybp)
    FTDNA mtDNA Full Sequence = J1c2e
    Most Distant Known Ancestor = Jean Moreau b. 1630s Parthenay, Deux-Sèvres, France
    Surnames = Welch, Chibry, Moreau, Todd, Anderson, Bedford, Joncas, Basaraba

Registered Users

Could well be random